Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

The Way Of The Wizard
    #609614 - 04/16/02 12:43 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I just finished reading a book, which I would recommend to any person. An astounding and amazingly well written book, one could easily read in one sitting. It is called The Way of the Wizard, by Deepak Chopra. It is based on the life of Merlin. Within it contains twenty spiritual lessons for creating the life you want. Any words I give cannot do it any justice, so you will have to read it yourself. I will give a few quotes a few statements from the overview of a few lessons.

Lesson 1

A wizard exists in all of us. The wizard sees and knows everything

The wizard is beyond opposites of light and dark, good and evil, pain and pleasure

Everything the wizard sees has its roots in the unseen world

Nature reflects the moods of the wizard

The body and mind may sleep, but the wizard is always awake

The wizard possesses the secret of immortality

Lesson 2

The return of the magical can only happen with the return of innocence

The essence of the wizard is transformation

Lesson 3

The wizard watches the world come and go, but his soul dwells in the realms of light

The scenery changes, the seer remains the same

Your body is just the place your memories call home

Lesson 4

Who am I? is the only question worth asking and the only one never answered

It is your destiny to play an infinity of roles, but these roles are not yourself

The spirit is nonlocal, but it leaves behind a fingerprint which we call a body

A wizard does not believe himself to be a local event dreaming of a larger world. A wizard is a world dreaming of local events.

Lesson 5

Wizards do not believe in death. In the light of awareness, everything is alive

There are no beginnings or endings. To the wizard these are only mental constructs

To be most fully alive, you have to be dead to the past

Molecules dissolve and pass away, but consciousness survives the death of the matter on which it rides

Lesson 6

The wizards consciousness is a field that exists everywhere

The streams of knowledge contained in the field are eternal and flow forever

Centuries of knowledge are compressed in revelatory moments

We live as a ripple of energy in the vast ocean of energy

When the ego is set aside, you have access to the totality of memory

Lesson 7

When the doors of perception are cleansed, you will begin to see the unseen world - the wizard's world

There is a wellspring of life within you where you can go for cleansing and transformation

Purification consists of getting rid of the toxins in your life: toxic emotions, toxic thoughts, toxic relationships

All living bodies, physical and subtle, are bundles of energy that can be perceived directly

Again, I cannot do this book any justice by mere words. I thought I might give some quotes from this book so that people may see what it is like. The quotes are just from the beginning of each lesson. It is written so well, that I read it in one sitting, and then read it again. This is a truly amazing book. Easy to understand, full of a wealth of information, and fun to read. I give it seven stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: The Way Of The Wizard [Re: ]
    #609774 - 04/16/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I saw this on a PBS special.....so it is available on video for all of us visual people!!!!!!!

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #609833 - 04/16/02 08:33 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

As per usual in these types of books, the author neither states where he received his informnation, nor does he live it.

"Chopra as Nixonian Guru"
John M. Knapp, 1/30/98

Consider the deprofessionalization of the worthy Mr. Chopra.
He rocketed onto the nation's radar screen in the late '80s as a medical doctor who endorsed meditation and alternative medicine as cheap, effective healthcare. Since then, dozens of his books, audio and video tapes, health food products, and seminars have reportedly made him tens of millions -- and won him thousands of followers, including celebrities like Oprah, Demi, and Donna (Karan).

But as his popularity has soared, his professional credentials have vaporized.

M.D.? Uh-uh.

Beginning with his bestseller The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success, he dropped the M.D. after his name. In fact, he told Publisher's Weekly July 24, 1995, that he hadn't practiced medicine for 10 years. Coincidentally with dropping his cardiology practice, he was sued for wrongful death by the estate of Jospeh Ventura in Middlesex, MA in 1986 (settled out of court). And according to an August 14, 1995, New York magazine article, Chopra isn't even licensed to practice medicine in California where his clinic is.

Guru? Nope.

Chopra is fond of saying that he is not a guru. And a quick look at the disclosure for his course applications immediately demonstrates his concerns: "These programs are educational and not intended as therapy or treatment. Infinite Possibilities Seminars assumes no responsibility for any adverse reaction -- psychological, emotional or behavioral -- resulting from attending." Like Frederick Lenz/Rama, who uses a similar disclaimer and also declines the title of guru, Chopra simply will not take responsibility for the welfare of his students.

Who offers malpractice insurance for gurus, after all?

Contrast his New Age wink-and-a-nod attitude with traditional Eastern teachers who insist that the techniques and medicines Chopra uses can be dangerous and should only be undertaken under the personal direction of an experienced sage.

Writer? Let's wonder together, shall we?

Rumors have flown since his first bestseller, Ageless Body, Timeless Mind, that Deepak doesn't do words. New York quotes Curtis Mailloux, the former director of the Washington, D.C., TM Center, as claiming TM ghostwriters "wrote day and night in the little back rooms" at Maharishi International University in Fairfield, Iowa. Journalist Dan Georgakas received an apology from Chopra's publishers about 9 pages that were lifted from his book, The Methuselah Factors. And as we read above, Chopra has now acknowledged inappropriately copying material from Professor Sapolsky's Behavioral Endocrinology and settled out of court for an undisclosed sum.

So. Not a doctor. Not a guru. Not a teacher. Not, perhaps, even a writer. Does his most recent statement settling Professor Sapolsky's copyright infringement case translate as, "I am not a crook?"

Just what clothes does the emperor wear now?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Leader of the Deepak [Re: Swami]
    #609840 - 04/16/02 08:42 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

From another article:

Deepak Chopra is controversial to many people. Many, including the American Medical Association, have labeled him a charlatan, becoming rich because of "this new-age mumbo- jumbo." Stephen Barrett, M.D., author of "A Few Thoughts on Ayurvedic Mumbo Jumbo" argues that "As far as I can tell, Chopra has neither published nor personally conducted any scientific studies testing whether the methods he promotes help people become healthier or live longer." In 1994, Forbes magazine attacked him as "the latest in a line of gurus who have prospered by blending pop-science, pop-psychology, and pop-Hinduism."

Chopra was at the center of controversy in 1991, when JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association) published an article entitled,"Letter From New Delhi: Maharishi Ayur-Veda: Modern Insights into Ancient Medicine," by Hari Sharma, Brihaspati Dev Triguna, and Chopra. The medical community responded negatively to the article by citing the lack of evidence concerning the beneficial effects of transendental meditation. Again, they pointed to the lack of empirical evidence. "When asked if he would agree to a test of these claims made in JAMA using a blinded protocol, Chopra declined on the grounds that a blinded experiment would "eliminate the most crucial component of the experiment, which is consciousness." (17) The medical community was not amused.(18)

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Leader of the Deepak [Re: Swami]
    #610039 - 04/16/02 01:15 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

You just can't get enough can you? Why not, instead of critiquing something that you have only heard of second hand from another skeptic, try reading the information straight from his mouth. I was recommending what I thought to be a most excellent book, not asking for you to tell me how controversial Chopra is to the scientific community. Everything spiritual is going to be controversial to the science community, that's the way its always been. Just because someone does not submit to a test does not make them a fraud. You are basing your opinion of Chopra on someone elses experience and opinion... something you lash out at us for all the time. Read the book, and then you can talk shit.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Leader of the Deepak [Re: ]
    #610105 - 04/16/02 02:54 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

So in your mind, a major organization's opinion of one of it's members, to which he voluntarily joined (the AMA), has no bearing on the character of the man or the truth of his words?

Instead, I should accept his writings because they resonate with you?

--------------------

Anonymous

#610112 - 04/16/02 03:08 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

No, you should not form an opinion until you read his book yourself.

If I say he is an amazing writer and speaks only the truth, and the AMA says he is deceptive and lies, who is right?

Are you going to side with the AMA because they are more people than me, or because they are well respected and educated? Are you going to form an opinion about someone whom you have never met, and never heard his side of the story?

All I ask is that you base your opinion on your own opinion, not something you heard about from someone else. Since I think its safe to say you have not read any of his books, I think you are forming your opinion of Chopra based on what others have said about him. Which is inconsistent to say the least.

OfflineSherlockDrubu
enthusiast
    #610386 - 04/14/02 06:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Swami seems to be childish like that....

going and basing opinions on opinions, what a fuckin world.

Its too bad EVERYONE has opinions based on opinions. The principles you grow up with and learn to mold your beliefs and values are based on your parents opinions.

As we grow, we see through our programmed opinions and start basing opinions on your own. (Shrooms really help too)

I understand where Swami is coming from, as making sense of life is the easiest way to live. And proof helps make sense of everything.

There really is no need for him to criticize people's beliefs based on their life experiences, but this is a public message board and he is intitled to his comments.

Yes, Swami gets out of line sometimes, but thats his choice and there is nothing anyone can really do about it.

-----------------------------------------

That book sounds like a good read, I think I'll check into it.

In the meantime, Swami really doesn't need to be babbling pointless stuff like he is in this post, as what he posted has nothing to do with A BOOK someone suggests to read. But like I stated before, theres nothing we can do about it so live and get on.

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
Re: The Way Of The Wizard [Re: Swami]
    #611407 - 04/17/02 11:13 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

living it is good enough evidence for me ( the unseen world seen ). Interested in what it looks like?, you know what to do.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: Leader of the Deepak [Re: SherlockDrubu]
    #611572 - 04/18/02 02:26 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Swami seems to be childish like that....
Sorry that I did a little research. But to me the words of a man who proclaims truth, but does not live it, has little credence with me. It is like reading a fitness article from a fat smoker.

Yes, Swami gets out of line sometimes,
All I ever get are comments about motivation or attitude. I have yet to see someone refute a point that I make. If you want me to behave better then show me my error; generalities are meaningless.

Do you really believe that Sixpak, er, I mean Deepak Chopra Has an "Ageless Body (and Timeless Mind)" as one of his book claims?

Do you also know that the TM organization to which he belonged, and Deepak had a major blowout over plageurism?

Why does it piss you off so much that I give a little background about the man? Those were not my writings, but people that knew and / or investigated him.

I guess that fact that his medical writings and lifestyle do not gel at all is not of any significance?

Let me know when this becomes the "Swallow any Bullshit Presented Forum" and I will gracefully bow out.

--------------------

Edited by Swami (04/18/02 02:53 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#611573 - 04/18/02 02:31 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Everything spiritual is going to be controversial to the science community, that's the way its always been.
Do you really believe that scientists have no spirituality?

--------------------

OfflineSplat
Deviant
Loc: Santa Cruz CA
    #611583 - 04/18/02 02:42 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I think you might be missing the point swami.

I dont want to put words in anyone else's mouth, but personally I dont care who wrote the book. I am interested in what it says.

--------------------
-------------------------------------------------------------
You know what I always say....anything worth doing.... mmm....is worth overdoing!

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #611676 - 04/18/02 06:08 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Did I mention that its also on video????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????
???????????????????????????????????????????????
.................having fun is fun.......I recommend good reading

Anonymous

#611799 - 04/18/02 10:01 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Do you really believe that scientists have no spirituality?

That's not what I said. Sure scientists may have spirituality, but prove it.

Anonymous

#611802 - 04/18/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Do you really believe that Sixpak, er, I mean Deepak Chopra Has an "Ageless Body (and Timeless Mind)" as one of his book claims?

Like everyone else? Yes.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#611849 - 04/18/02 11:17 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Like everyone else? Yes.

So he needlessly writes a book about qualities that we all already possess. He looks his 50+ age, which is far from "Ageless"; and he will physically die like everyone else. No contradiction there...

Like Leonard Orr who wrote about "Physical Immortality" and "Rebirthing" in the '70s. Look up a picture of him - and you guessed it, he looks 60 something! Totally amazing how his age-defying mechanisms work so well.

Funny how my number two quote demolishes all the BS on here time and again. This quote has "An Ageless Message and Timeless Wisdom."

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#611857 - 04/18/02 11:23 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Everything spiritual is going to be controversial to the science community

Sure scientists may have spirituality

So some scientists who are spiritual will reject everything spiritual... OK.

--------------------

Anonymous

#611873 - 04/18/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The ageless body is a metaphor for the immortal soul. He doesn't say that his PHYSICAL body is ageless.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#611900 - 04/18/02 12:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The ageless body is a metaphor for the immortal soul. He doesn't say that his PHYSICAL body is ageless.
Please try to get something right. The book IS about preventing physical aging, not about your immortal soul.

Publisher's Note:
There is nothing inevitable about aging--that is the inspiring message from Dr. Deepak Chopra.

From Chopra himself in the intro:
I am convinced that if you do the exercises in the book, you will dramatically slow down and even reverse the aging process.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/books/0517882124/reader/2/ref=lib_rd_TR01/102-0683703-0544905#reader-link

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale