Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDaoTuat
Etikaiele Unule
Male

Loc: Ogalahomi
Salvia rot
    #6108868 - 09/27/06 10:00 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I'm trying to grow a Salvia D plant, however, it seems to have a death wish. As soon as it starts getting better and growing something happens to it. Now, however, I think its time is finally up. The plant isn't too large, being only a few inches tall, and has stem rot at the top. I keep cutting it off well below the base of the rotted material, however, the tip turns black, shrivels up and then continues on rotting down. I've cut in several times now, and I'm afraid I can't stop the attack. I just cut the top off again today and If it continues at this rate there won't be much of a plant left to grow. Does anyone know of a good way to stop this from happening? I know they like a lot of humidity, but is it possible to give it too much? I'm looking forward to buying/trading for some more plants and if anyone can give me some insight as to why the plant is doing this it would be extremely appreciated.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: BrewCity
Re: Salvia rot [Re: DaoTuat]
    #6108946 - 09/27/06 10:18 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

My leaf tips like to rot. Where are you getting your water from? Try bottles water only. Have you give your plant nutrients yet, you should once a month. My salvia plant is doing fine with very little humidity. It was in my bathroom, and I would close the door after Im done with my shower to keep the humidity in.. which it stayed moist for a hour or so. But I resently took it out to see if it will live.

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
-                  -                -
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
-                  -                -
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

Edited by MustNotBe (09/27/06 10:22 PM)

Offlinenamaste
RuNnINg OwL
 User Gallery

Loc: Fiddler's Green
    #6109959 - 09/28/06 03:14 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

How often do you water, and how much?

Quote:

I know they like a lot of humidity, but is it possible to give it too much?

They do quite well in low humidity, but need to very slowly be acclimated to it. You should only be cutting right above the node otherwise it will wither down to the next node.

--------------------

"Drop beats, not bombs."  - Abraham Lincoln

Offlineunseenat17
Midnight Toker
Male

Re: Salvia rot [Re: namaste]
    #6110032 - 09/28/06 03:58 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

If i were you, i would take a cutting from it to ensure you have a plant (given that this one is the only one you have. Make sure you get the healthiest cutting you can from it.

--------------------

-=Be a part of the movement=-
http://www.norml.org/
-=Support the free spore rings=-
Canada www.fsrcanada.com
Europe http://www.fsre.nl/

OfflineDaoTuat
Etikaiele Unule
Male

Loc: Ogalahomi
Re: Salvia rot [Re: MustNotBe]
    #6110440 - 09/28/06 10:11 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I just use regular tap water. Do you think my water is too harsh for the plant? I haven't gave it any nutrients yet, mainly because I was waiting for it to get established and start growing first. I guess that was a mistake.

I tried the whole keeping the bathroom door shut, but that led to a lot of problems with mildew and such. I haven't had the plant long, so I haven't had time to really get it adjusted to lower humidity. However, I'm not entirely convinced that it's completely my fault. It seemed to be a bad plant from the beginning. I received it in the mail with a lot of the lower stem completely rotted. I cut it off and had no problems, but now the poor plants being attacked from the other side. And, unfortunately, she isn't large enough to make a cutting from.

The good news, however, is that normally when I cut off the rot from the top, the next day I could see where it spread. This morning it seemed to be just fine and I didn't see any rot. Hopefully it will stay that way.

Heres the bad news, though: from the main stem another smaller stem grew and it was the one with the leaves. The rot forced that stem to die when it went below it. So now I'm stuck here with a stub of a stem with no leaves. I'm guessing it should be fine though since it has plenty of roots and simply because so many cutting start off this way, right? And so I guess, and correct me if I'm wrong, that I just have to hope that it has enough stored up energy to produce new leaves.

For now she seems to be hanging in there and hopefully she won't give up on me. I know I won't be giving up on her.

--------------------

Wado

Offlinedeadhorse
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tamaki Makaurau, Aotearoa
    #6110502 - 09/28/06 10:34 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

That sucks Daotuat. I've cloned a number of salvias now, from my experience young cuttings succumb to that black rot even if you keep cutting it out well below where it's turned black- it just keeps on creeping down. However the slightly older and more established plants I've had seem able to fight it off once it gets to a certain point, so it's not invariably lethal, but does appear to depend on the strength of the plant. I've had it turn up in various humidity and temp ranges, and I'm not sure what causes it- my suspicion is that it could be a virus. At any rate I've had less instances of it now just being careful handling cuttings as little as possible. Sorry this probably doesn't help- get some more cuttings if you can, I guess. Once you get one healthy plant established you'll be away laughing. It grows like fuck in the spring and summer and you end up with yards of the stuff.
Good luck.

--------------------
flogging a dead horse is a one man job

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Salvia

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden