Home | Community | Message Board

Myco.ca - Spores & Cultivation Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
Vegetarianism etc
    #6106627 - 09/27/06 12:09 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Are there any other animals (herbivores, carnivores, omnivores) that decide eating plants/meat is wrong so I'll eat the opposite? More specifically for other omnivores, do any of them eat one or the other instead of both, essentially making them herbivores or carnivores?

Why do some humans do this, and why do we have this notion about vegetarianism or vegan-ism?

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineGeneephurr
Amazing
Female User Gallery

Loc: Bore-bank.
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: demiu5]
    #6107099 - 09/27/06 02:34 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I never really understood the appeal of being vegetarian. I love to enjoy a good meal. I mean, some of my friends have mentioned "we have greater reasoning than these animals, so isn't it our duty to try to help them and not simply be one of them?" To that I ask: Why? Who voted that humans should be the supreme rulers. Doesn't that frame-of-mind sort of assume that we know all and more than anything else, and that we deserve to be on top and make the ultimate choices for everything else?

I dunno, not quite going anywhere with this. I'm sure that there have been some people out there whom attempt to go the other way and live without veggis, but I think that more people would assume that they were just doing it for attention.

Of course, this does make me think of a rocking Reel Big Fish song.

--------------------
"Man's real life is happy,
chiefly because he is ever expecting that it soon will be so."
- Edgar Allan Poe

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: Geneephurr]
    #6107118 - 09/27/06 02:43 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

my feelings on this issue is that choosing to go vegan is for your better health, and the better health of animals as well :smile:. i think thats pretty much all there is to that.

not to derail...but now with gm foods it seems being vagan is dangerous now, and with all the e coli shit goin around....i gotta PC everything i eat and drink now unless i wanna die....such a sick sick world we are in.  and i didn't even know that trans fat is artifical?? till i seen on the news about the potentail ban in NYC.  i dunno

its kinda like if it doesn't grow out of the ground in your own back yard we are feeding terrorizm of our planet....corperate america are terrorists raping mother nature...everytime we speed a dollor in the store we are supporting this bs.

bin laden and hussen don't hold a candle to these sick evil scientists are doing.....i mean fuck pot ...(yah pot again) is illegal because its so dam dangerous, yet gm foods and NANO tech is bounces around our planet and we know its dangerous, but since it makes money we close our eyes and say its ok as long as we have money we can do anything...any problems we create we will exploit for money.

sorry about the rant but yah.

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Edited by makaveli8x8 (09/27/06 02:48 PM)

OfflineGeneephurr
Amazing
Female User Gallery

Loc: Bore-bank.
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6107130 - 09/27/06 02:47 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I think that it'd be better (well, this is kind of a "no duh") if we just worked more as a society to better educate people on how to eat healthy, instead of trying to come up with all these wacky ideas on how to make being vegan/vegitarian better and easier.

If meat were a better product, and if animals (and people, well, the world basically) were treated better than it'd all just work out. But instead we funnel out thinking and recourses into very specific categories and everything ends up suffering.

--------------------
"Man's real life is happy,
chiefly because he is ever expecting that it soon will be so."
- Edgar Allan Poe

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: Geneephurr]
    #6107237 - 09/27/06 03:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Basically, I just wonder what mechanism allows us to have created this distinction. Food is food is engergy, no matter how bad or good for us it may be. But our kind (even before us sapiens became what we are) has always been omnivores if possible (ice-age/winter time, or lack of meat/vegetation). I don't know of any other animal that actually stops eating one or the other, by choice.

Maybe it has to do with mass production of food where we have virtually unlimited choice and other animals, hell, even other sapiens (Ethiopians etc...) eat whatever is available.

Also, yes, many animals display a preference for certain foods when given the option of having them, but they don't seem to complain or shun food if it is availble.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: demiu5]
    #6107242 - 09/27/06 03:18 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Im vegetarian mainly out of compassion. But not just compassion for the animals, but for all those involved in the meat indiustry process that are accumilating such vast ammounts of negative actions. I cannot in good concience support such a system.

I think in western society in general we have so much choice and variety of fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc, that there is no longer any real need to consume other creatures of this earth. Doing so, IMHO is an example of lacking in spiriutal evolution.

--------------------

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: Sinbad]
    #6107530 - 09/27/06 04:29 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

so as meat eaters what stops us from eating our own speices...same question.

humans don't eat humans.  But some lizards will eat each other, collard lizard for example will eat the young.

mice don't eat each other....but they will if there population gets to high because i used to ??grow?? them...after some point they just deside not enough room and take one for the team.

alot of animals are just not set up to eat both plant and animal...i think humans are about the only thing that has a choice....so maybe its just because we have a "choice" as they say in the moive the matrix...choice is the problem :smile:

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

OfflineFospher
Crime FightingMaster Criminal
Male

Loc: The Netherlands
    #6107816 - 09/27/06 05:32 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:
Im vegetarian mainly out of compassion. But not just compassion for the animals, but for all those involved in the meat indiustry process that are accumilating such vast ammounts of negative actions. I cannot in good concience support such a system.

I think in western society in general we have so much choice and variety of fruit, vegetables, nuts, etc, that there is no longer any real need to consume other creatures of this earth. Doing so, IMHO is an example of lacking in spiriutal evolution.

Please elaborate what you mean by spiritual evolution. Can I pass this spiritual gene on to my children or is this strictly a Lamarcist concept?

--------------------
010001100100001001000101!

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: Fospher]
    #6107822 - 09/27/06 05:35 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

By spiritual evolution, i mean awareness, wisdom and compassion. No-one has a monopoly on spiritual evolution, its purely an individuals responsibility to him/herself and the world we all share in.

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (09/27/06 05:41 PM)

OfflineFospher
Male

#6107888 - 09/27/06 05:53 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

What is actually evolving?

--------------------

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#6107899 - 09/27/06 05:57 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wikipedia says:

"In philosophy and metaphysics, the development of the universe, and of consciousness through time, is referred to as evolution. "

But i like to think that its more of a process of waking up from ignorance. "What" in fact is evolving, can only be realized through personal insight.

--------------------

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6107915 - 09/27/06 06:01 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wikipedia is wicca, its evil, stay away from its corruption....

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6107947 - 09/27/06 06:13 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, Wikipedia is sin!
Use da dictionary, boi!

Evolution:

1. any process of formation or growth; development: the evolution of a language; the evolution of the airplane.
2. a product of such development; something evolved: The exploration of space is the evolution of decades of research.
3. Biology. change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift.
4. a process of gradual, peaceful, progressive change or development, as in social or economic structure or institutions.
5. a motion incomplete in itself, but combining with coordinated motions to produce a single action, as in a machine.
6. a pattern formed by or as if by a series of movements: the evolutions of a figure skater.
7. an evolving or giving off of gas, heat, etc.
8. Mathematics. the extraction of a root from a quantity. Compare involution (def. 8).
9. a movement or one of a series of movements of troops, ships, etc., as for disposition in order of battle or in line on parade.
10. any similar movement, esp. in close order drill.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #6107949 - 09/27/06 06:14 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Unfortunately the dictionary doesn't put things in context, boi! :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleMushmanTheManic
Stranger

#6107961 - 09/27/06 06:19 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Thats your job.

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Re: Vegetarianism etc [Re: MushmanTheManic]
    #6107969 - 09/27/06 06:22 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wikipedia is a database that includes such terms put into context which can be useful in discussions. But of course, i can offer my own humble opinions also.  :wink:

--------------------

OfflineFospher
Male

#6107974 - 09/27/06 06:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Semantics, semantics. I meant the subject of that sentence, not the definition of the word.  :wink:

Evolution, last I heard, is indeed something that happens through time. It is acquired through either communication (as in evolution of ideas), or through genes (biological evolution). Both, however, need to be acquired from the knowledge or DNA of other humans. How, and how different is spiritual evolution?

--------------------

OfflineFospher
Male

#6107984 - 09/27/06 06:26 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Wikipedia rocks for technical explanations and textbook definitions. When it comes to borderline political issues though, it can get pretty messy with weasel words and bias. But then again, with that kind of context, its foolish to take those convictions without a pinch of salt anyway.

--------------------

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#6108015 - 09/27/06 06:36 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Spiritual evolution as i see it, is not something that is limited to the physical level like darwins idea of species evolution. Spirituality seems to be a process in which the individual becomes increasingly more aware of him/herself, and as a consequence more able to skillfully, with wisdom and compassion work with the varying circumstances that present themselves in life, both internally and externally, for the mutual benefit of both self and other.

This more of an extended version of the concept of adaptation that Darwin presented, but as a motivation, self-survival is subject to de-emphasis, whereas the wish to help others and fulfill our lives spiritually, has become the dominant motivation in life. Basically the progression from instinctive survival mode, to a deeper level of understanding of human consciousness and our own being in relation to others.

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (09/27/06 06:52 PM)

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

#6108017 - 09/27/06 06:37 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Quote:

Fospher said:
Wikipedia rocks for technical explanations and textbook definitions. When it comes to borderline political issues though, it can get pretty messy with weasel words and bias. But then again, with that kind of context, its foolish to take those convictions without a pinch of salt anyway.

Indeed.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies