Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleBob2
Grandpa

My current grow expeirence
    #6106249 - 09/27/06 08:08 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've been wanting to try to grow shrooms for awhile now.  I decided it's finally time, I went out in search of brown rice flour and could not find it ANYWEHRE.  I went ahead and used WBS and vermiculite.  I found vermiculite to be difficult to find to but I was able to locate it.  I soaked the wbs for 20 hours drained rinsed did not cook because I myself know that this will get rid of some of the nutrients and I figure the mycelium likes the nutrients.  I did 10 jars 3/4 way full and put vermiculite ontop.  I put a very small amount of vermiculite in the mix of wbs.  I had 2 jars empty and a tiny bit of wbs, I took what was left and some peat moss and mixed it together with water and fille dthe last 2 with that.  I put 2 holes in each lid and sealedc them with foil tape.  I PCed every jar twice for 30-45 minutes.  I cracked one of the 10 and one of the 2.  It's been 5 days and I finally see growth on the non-cracked peatmoss/wbs jar.  I am going to be using peat moss too for now on because the others show no sign of growth.  3 days ago I also started a 500ml liquid culture with molasses which I saw some white stuff floating in today but I decided to add molasses and shook it all up and now it'a gone.  Oh yeah I also was fucked up a couple night sago and opened one of the 10 jars and dumped about 50ml of water in it and closed it back up.  It shows no sign of growth just wetness.  I'm glad atleast one is colonizing.  I would love some imput or comments or anything.  Anyone else notice WBS takes a long time to colinate?  Also, I used equadorian spores :smile:  Oh  Wand I have a print of golden teacher on the way :grin:  So far I'm gonna do a WBS/peatmoss/vermiculite mix with ziplock bags and possibly a live culture with my GT :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: My current grow expeirence [Re: Bob2]
    #6106285 - 09/27/06 08:27 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Vermiculite does not contain nutrients, it is only useful for substrates with flour, which would otherwise not allow air exchange.

Opening the jar most likely contaminated it, keep an eye on that one and dispose of it at the first sign of contamination.

Did you say you added more molasses to your LC?
In a liquid culture, the worry is not about having too little nutrition, but having the right nutrition to water ratio. Also, opening it most likely contaminated it.

Keep on growing though man!

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

InvisiblePinhead
Oregano
Male

Loc: Hootersville
    #6106296 - 09/27/06 08:35 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Go out and buy yourself a bag of brown rice. Not uncle Ben's precooked, but just regular brown rice. Put a small handful at a time of your rice in a coffee grinder and make your own BRF.The flour doesn't have to be fine - chunks won't make a difference.
Now follow PF tek exactly, esp. for the first time.
  Your LC contaminated when you opened it and added non-sterile molasses to it. Just because a little is good, doesn't make more better.Stick with the tried and true before experimenting. Good Luck to you! :smile:

InvisibleBob2
Grandpa

Re: My current grow expeirence [Re: Pinhead]
    #6106339 - 09/27/06 08:50 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I never got into coffee...  So I don't own a coffee grinder....  And my current income is nothing so I'm not going to have a coffee grinder anytime soon :frown:

I do have 3cc of spore solution left though!  What should I do with it??  I'm thinking try some more liquid cultures :smile:

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #6106404 - 09/27/06 09:08 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

you really need to read up again on grain teks.

1.) Simmering WBS removes no nutes
2.) You dont need a dry verm barrier in grain jars (however mixing in some verm with your grains wont hurt)
3.) Never open your jars unless they are fully colonized and ready to be spawned/cased
4.) Never add anything to a jar once it's been PC'ed.  The only thing you should do is inoculate, once, and that's it.
5.) Done right grains colonize a lot faster then PF tek jars

Id spend some more time reading through the basic teks to get a better understanding of how this works.  Good luck with your grow :smile:

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

InvisibleBob2
Grandpa

Re: My current grow expeirence [Re: coda]
    #6106485 - 09/27/06 09:29 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I realized the vermiculite wasn't needed until after I had used it.  I was planing on doing the brown rice flour until I actually went out to buy it and no place had it.  I'm really happy with the results from WBS/peatmoss/verm though :laugh:  i was shaking the one i added water to and a little water came out a taped hole.....  smells SO BAD.  So i sprayed 99.99% germ killer for air and surfaces all over the room then sprayed the outside of the jar with it.  Put it in a gallon baggy, and put it outside in darkness because it's the correct temp out there and who knows it may work :smile:

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
    #6106596 - 09/27/06 10:01 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i use a blender for my brown rice i also make sure it says whole grain brown rice and not just brown rice. dont know if there is a diff but i buy it.

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

#6106610 - 09/27/06 10:05 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bob2 said:
Yeah I realized the vermiculite wasn't needed until after I had used it.  I was planing on doing the brown rice flour until I actually went out to buy it and no place had it.  I'm really happy with the results from WBS/peatmoss/verm though :laugh:  i was shaking the one i added water to and a little water came out a taped hole.....  smells SO BAD.  So i sprayed 99.99% germ killer for air and surfaces all over the room then sprayed the outside of the jar with it.  Put it in a gallon baggy, and put it outside in darkness because it's the correct temp out there and who knows it may work :smile:

throw everything out  it is not suposto smell so bad also there should not be water comming out of your jar and when the tape gets wet you are at high risk for contam. i would not use that mix in a jar again. use brf and verm.or grains ,  spraying your jars with gem killer will do nothing at this point

--------------------

InvisibleBob2
Grandpa

Re: My current grow expeirence [Re: royer]
    #6106638 - 09/27/06 10:12 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

No no, the one thats contaminated, or atleast smells like it is a WBS with some vermiculite ontop.  It got contaminated cuz i opened it and poured some water in it i guess :frown:  I'm still happy though because I have one working jar :laugh:

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

#6107054 - 09/27/06 12:10 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i dont know man i think you need to read more because you are mixing all types of stuff together which is not a bad thing but you got to know what you are doing?? with peat you need to get a ballanced ph and do you know about gypsum or lime??and adding water which will not hydrate the wbs more but just add water to the bottom and 50 ml that is a whole lot 5 10 cc syringes.you opened a lc added molasses to it when it is only suposto to be 4% max. well if you used karo molasses or honey to make it then adding more is bad also was the molasses at 4% with water and pced? strained through a coffee filter then pced again??

all i can say is if you dont want to waist more time you need to read and follow the tek's also if you are sort of new i would stay away from wbs it can be frusterating

--------------------

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
    #6107067 - 09/27/06 12:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

sounds like you combined a bunch of different teks, mixed the supplies up, switched around some procedures and figured itd all work out.

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder