Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinefarhaven46
Stranger
Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums
    #6103131 - 09/26/06 01:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Please allow me to address some specific mushroom-related questions in this more general forum. I made inquiries in what seemed more appropriate forums but received either no response, or a comment suggesting I should already know what I am asking about, which of course is a condescending and absurd statement.

This regards distinguishing psychedelic from poisonous dung-loving mushrooms.

While having had very small experience a long, long time ago growing a few P. cubensis is a mason jar on a tiny closet shelf, I have never actually seen this species in the wild. I have a pretty good idea of what they look like but still, seeing two mushrooms 20 years ago in a mason jar, or looking at photos, is not the same as looking at them out in the field. I thought it would be easy to determine them because of their golden-brown caps, sometimes pointy; the veils; and the fact that they bruise blue. However, when I actually found some mushrooms in cow patties recently here in SW Florida, I discovered that they didn't exactly resemble psilocybin mushrooms I had seen in mason jars or photos, but were close enough to cause doubts. A few had veils. Most were fairly small and I brought two of them home. They appear more whitish that the P. cubesis pics I've viewed and didn't bruise blue. They are too small for taking spore prints.

My questions:

1) Are there dung-loving mushrooms that are poisonous? In one forum, a poster said s/he didn't think so, but this reply lacks the certitude I am seeking.

2) Is it true that some P. cubensis will not stain blue? In the guide, this was mentioned, and has led to further doubts about the specimens I collected, as they do not bruise blue but simply become moist and brown where bruised, after a while.

3) Can someone refer me to a list, with photos, of ALL dung-loving mushrooms?

4) Are there good online or book photos of both poisonous and non-poisonous dung-loving mushrooms shown side-by-side, for easy comaparison?

I also have a few secondary questions.

1) Is it true that ranchers add a chemical to their cow feed to inhibit mushroom growth, or to make the mushrooms inedible/poisonous? Disinfo about the topic has caused me to receive information that I do not trust.

2) Do wild P. cubensis mushrooms grow in the dung of grass-fed or grain-fed cattle...or either? So-called experts have told me conflicting stories about this.

Thank you for indulging these questions in you Pub atmosphere. If they sound naive, please remember that YOU at one time knew nothing about this subject, and had to get the information somewhere. I ask that you patiently refrain from smacking the ill-conceived "newbie" label on me and simply address my questions. Your help will be greatly appreciated as I cannot find answers to them anywhere on the web.

Cheers.

Edited by farhaven46 (09/26/06 01:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinelemon_lw
Stranger

Loc: That Way
Re: Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums [Re: farhaven46]
    #6103237 - 09/26/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

farhaven46 said:

My questions:

1) Are there dung-loving mushrooms that are poisonous? In one forum, a poster said s/he didn't think so, but this reply lacks the certitude I am seeking.

2) Is it true that some P. cubensis will not stain blue? In the guide, this was mentioned, and has led to further doubts about the specimens I collected, as they do not bruise blue but simply become moist and brown where bruised, after a while.

4) Are there good online or book photos of both poisonous and non-poisonous dung-loving mushrooms shown side-by-side, for easy comaparison?

1) Is it true that ranchers add a chemical to their cow feed to inhibit mushroom growth, or to make the mushrooms inedible/poisonous? Disinfo about the topic has caused me to receive information that I do not trust.

2) Do wild P. cubensis mushrooms grow in the dung of grass-fed or grain-fed cattle...or either? So-called experts have told me conflicting stories about this.

First and foremost let me say i am NOT a mushroom hunter by any means.
1- Surely one poisonous mushie likes dung, if not that would be shocking.
2-dont know from lack of hunting them.
3-Nope but it probably exists. (maybe try some different wikis)
4-yeah i think there is a mushroom hunters book out there but i could be wrong.

1-just simply no way would they add something that could kill, i dont think that would be allowed on so many levels. and something that keeps them from growing just isnt likely if even possible. but once again i could be wrong.
2-i think it would be grain fed for sure, grass i dont know. but i could be wrong.

basically what it all boils down to is just grow your own its easy. and im sure there have been some nice advances in the last 20 years.

oh yeah and if you go hunting i think the hunting forum will help identify them for you.

and one last thing welcome to the shromery :smile:

--------------------
In the belly of the Leviathan, one can either despair and perish, or be cheerful and persevere.-Dean Koontz

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums [Re: farhaven46]
    #6103431 - 09/26/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

No matter what answers you get to those questions, if you pick mushrooms in the wild, don't eat them without a positive ID from the experts in the hunting forum. This requires photographs, spore prints and all the other information mentioned in the Mushroom Hunting FAQ. Read the stickies.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #6103481 - 09/26/06 02:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

farhaven46 said:

This regards distinguishing psychedelic from poisonous dung-loving mushrooms.

My questions:

1) Are there dung-loving mushrooms that are poisonous?

Answer, This depends on your region, im going to assume youre in the gulf states, florida area. And yes, there are mushrooms called "lepotias" which are usually pretty big and found in cow pastures, i do not believe that they stain blue, but they are gilled and can kill you

there are also bolettes which will stain blue, but will have pores instead of gills on the bottom and are generally not usually found in cow pastures, but anything is possible

2) Is it true that some P. cubensis will not stain blue?

Yes, brusing varies alot between individual specimens in the same species and strain. however generally if you crack a stem pretty hard within 5 minutes you sohould see some darker blue like color change. (im somewhat color blind so im not the best reference for this one, although even with my color blindness i could sometimes see it)

you sohuldnt rely solely on color changing ability to ID a mushroom

There are hundreds if not thosands, you need to narrow it down to your region and do some research

Several books are avaliable, but once again, its so region specific that youll need to create your own list

It has been mentioned, but the vast amount of chemicals that would need to be added, and their low effectiveness has led me to believe that very few do, and that of those that do, very few work well

both, although i would imagine that grass fed ones would have a higher incidence of shrooms in their shit, as spores are more likely to be found on grass.

The thing is that thye dont just grow in their shit, they grow in the ground where their shit used to be, they grow in the ground where you cant even see shit, and they grow right out of the patties.

Thank you for indulging these questions in you Pub atmosphere. If they sound naive, please remember that YOU at one time knew nothing about this subject, and had to get the information somewhere. I ask that you patiently refrain from smacking the ill-conceived "newbie" label on me and simply address my questions. Your help will be greatly appreciated as I cannot find answers to them anywhere on the web.

Cheers.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleSimisu
taken by gravity
 User Gallery

Loc: Israeli in Flag
Re: Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums [Re: lemon_lw]
    #6103498 - 09/26/06 02:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

welcome, sounds to me like you're looking to gather some wild mushrooms... i can't answer your questions directly because i have no expiriance in those matters but what i can suggest is the following. if you want to hunt mushrooms simply learn to positively identify th mushrooms you're looking for! get a mushroom hunting book (i bet some of our vendors sell them and if that doesn't work ask around in the hunting forum or preferably use the search function)

no mushroom should be consumed without a positive identification prior to consumption so checking to see if poisen mushrooms grow on dung is a moot point, you don't rule out danger and hope for the best, you should KNOW what you're looking for and that's all there is to it!

there are good discriptions of P.cubensis mushrooms on the shroomery and other sites so start educating yr self and eventually these questions won't be an issue... as for misinformation, i'm pretty sure you have nothing to worry about when picking mushrooms on farms :shrug:

if you're looking to use the magic of mushrooms it's much simpler to grow them then hunt'em!

--------------------
:mushdance::sanpedro::peyote::mushroom2: :heart: Shr:supershroom::supershroom:mery :heart: :mushroom2::peyote::sanpedro::mushdance:
      Visit & Support Free Spore Ring Earth
      :sun: Please help spread live Salvia Divinorum :sun:

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums [Re: Simisu]
    #6103514 - 09/26/06 02:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

no mushroom should be consumed without a positive identification
prior to consumption so checking to see if poisen mushrooms grow on dung is a moot point, you don't rule out danger and hope for the best, you should KNOW what you're looking for and that's all there is to it!

yeah, proper identification is absolutely a must

you can go into the news forum at the bottom of the forums list, and read about people that thought they had the right id, and died

a cow pasture will have almost every kind of substrate possible on it, dung, grass, bird droppings, wood, ect. anything could grow there

also look into the Amanta family of mushroom, very deadly, and takes 3 painful days to destroy your liver before you die.

spend alot of time reading the mushroom hunting forum, keep asking questions :smile:

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
    #6103878 - 09/26/06 03:29 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets is a good book for your purposes. It has pictures of nearly all psychoactive species, as well as a chapter on poisonous lookalikes. You should own that as well as some other more comprehensive ID guide if you're going to be a mush hunter.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Offlinefarhaven46
Stranger
Re: Mushroom-related. but apparently inappropriate for other forums [Re: ZippoZ]
    #6104025 - 09/26/06 04:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks all of you; many helful suggestions. I will purchase the hunter's guidebook mentioned. I'll gather photos and post them in the proper forum for ID purposes. Growing them in my present circumstances does not seem an option, due to space limitations and contamination issues -- unless you can recommend a very easy ansd successful package or system for doing so under such conditions. As far as distinguishing them from amanitas, this is no problem for me, as I am familiar with the amanita species, have picked and consumed many amanita muscaria in my former home, the Colorado Rockies, and know the appearance of various deadly amanitas. As for picking shrooms in cow pastures, I am ONLY gowing for those that grow directly from dung -- not those just generally growing in the pasture on wood chips, straw, etc. I appreciate your kindness in answering my questions. PS. I really would like to know one more thing:

-- Do wild psilocybin cubensis mushrooms grow on the dung of graff-fed cattle, grain-fed cattle, or both? On respondent claimed that it would be probably grain-fed, which seems logical as grain is a preferred medium for cultivation, and yet a so-called expert told me no, they grow in the wild only on the dung of grass-fed cattle. As you see, there is a great deal of disinfo about the subject.

Thanks again.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale