Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Loc: Manchester
For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized?
    #6102741 - 09/26/06 11:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Let's say I started off w/ the PF Tek method but later on decide I want bigger yields. What options do I have?

What is the BEST way to increase yields from cakes? Casing them or using a piece of the mycelium cake to spawn to poo/straw?

How exactly do I do either of these.. I've read bits and pieces but want to make sure I'm prepared.

To case a PF cake, I put it in a ziplock bag, break it up and then put it on on a tray of moist verm and then cover it with my casing mix. Is that correct?

How would spawning to poo work, if it's possible from PF cakes?

Also this is a bit off topic but in my PF jars I want to change 1/4 the amount of water into coffee. What kind of coffee can I use? I don't have a brewer. Can I just use instant coffee in its powder form?

--------------------

My first grow. Thanks all.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: Alprazolom]
    #6102852 - 09/26/06 11:42 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

case with a non nutritious layer will give you bigger yields than cakes, but spawning to a bulk substrate like poo is even better. the faqs have a ton of information about both, i would check those out first

--------------------
----------

Offlineexinth
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: odium33]
    #6102917 - 09/26/06 12:02 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't bother to spawn to crap if I was you as you seem inexperienced. Just crumble in ziplock and case as you described using the 50/50+ casing. You will get more than satisfactory results with that im sure.

OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: odium33]
    #6102941 - 09/26/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks.

What about the coffee question? I can't seem to find anything using search saying if I can use instant coffee or what types of coffee aren't acceptable.

--------------------

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: Alprazolom]
    #6102976 - 09/26/06 12:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i have used many cakes all broken up to colonize hpoo or /coir w/worm castings for add nitrogen. the more cakes you use the faster it will colonize. ofcorse using calcium carbonate/gypsum/ hydrated lime to get a good ph and to keep it balanced. or you can case it you will get a better yeild that way

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
    #6103009 - 09/26/06 12:22 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I wouldn't use instant... The Tek I saw used real brewed coffee. (and didn't specify any brand... just no cream and sugar!!)

Stop at WaWa/7-11/DunkinDonuts/Heritages/QuickieMart and grab a cup... You HAVE to live near a store that sells coffee!

Edited by RoosterCogburn (09/26/06 12:24 PM)

InvisibleSpookerShroom
Shroomerite
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6103107 - 09/26/06 01:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
I wouldn't use instant... The Tek I saw used real brewed coffee. (and didn't specify any brand... just no cream and sugar!!)

Stop at WaWa/7-11/DunkinDonuts/Heritages/QuickieMart and grab a cup... You HAVE to live near a store that sells coffee!

Guys, you add used coffee grounds to the substrate, not brewed liquid coffee. Unless your talking about maybe pasteurized some poo IN coffee but I doubt it. Research a little more before giving out that kinda info.

Anyways, if you want better yields and have already succesfully got some PFtek jars to colonize 100% without problems, spawning to poo is only one more step than just crumble/casing, and will get you a much greater yeild. If you can crumble/case, you can spawn to poo, and if its yields you want, do it.

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: SpookerShroom]
    #6103256 - 09/26/06 01:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

SpookerShroom said:
Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:

Guys, you add used coffee grounds to the substrate, not brewed liquid coffee. Unless your talking about maybe pasteurized some poo IN coffee but I doubt it. Research a little more before giving out that kinda info.

Anyways, if you want better yields and have already succesfully got some PFtek jars to colonize 100% without problems, spawning to poo is only one more step than just crumble/casing, and will get you a much greater yeild. If you can crumble/case, you can spawn to poo, and if its yields you want, do it.

Then WTF is CreamCorn talking about here, Mr. SmartyPants?

Coffee and BRF

And BTW, I researched ALOT and take great offense to your post.  :tongue:

Edited by RoosterCogburn (09/26/06 01:35 PM)

Offlineroyer
±±±±±±±±±±

Loc: anywhere but here
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: RoosterCogburn]
    #6103271 - 09/26/06 01:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

that is for making cakes you add liquid coffee 1 part cofee to 3 parts water or something like that. then you use it to hydrate your mix before you put in the half pint jars.

you can also use used coffee grounds to spawn to.

--------------------
=================================================
if you have any questions please feel free to pm me , thx :-)

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: royer]
    #6103384 - 09/26/06 01:51 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, and I was answering the former...

Quote:

Also this is a bit off topic but in my PF jars I want to change 1/4 the amount of water into coffee. What kind of coffee can I use? I don't have a brewer. Can I just use instant coffee in its powder form?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6103425 - 09/26/06 01:57 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You want weak liquid coffee. If you use instant, just mix it with water first, then use that to make your pf cakes. You want it 1/2 drinking strength. If you use too much coffee, it will actually slow down growth.

Coffee grinds are great to use in bulk substrates. Liquid coffee can be used to soak grains or make pf cakes.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
    #6103439 - 09/26/06 01:58 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

How would spawning to poo work, if it's possible from PF cakes?

follow this...

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/723303#Post723303

tc

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

InvisibleSpookerShroom
Shroomerite
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6103470 - 09/26/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I apoligize Roost.  :sorry: I was thinking in context to what I was talking about (bulk subs), and I didnt take the time to re-read the original post. I never do PF teks so I'm always thinking bulk subs when posting    sorry again!!

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: SpookerShroom]
    #6103489 - 09/26/06 02:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

no problem my friend! I just strive to be "in the know", and I'll never open my mouth on a subject that I don't know about. Shit, I was here for weeks before posting for the first time. :smile:

OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: Roadkill]
    #6104278 - 09/26/06 05:28 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

follow this...
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/723303#Post723303

This is precisely what I was looking for. Thanks. One thing though. This tek is 4 years old. Should I follow it step by step or has there been any innovations/updates in the past 4 years?

Would it make a difference if I dunk the cakes before putting 'em in the food processor?

Would I get better results if I spawn from live culture or WBS to hpoo? I'm not talking about time wise, but when it's all said and done, would it matter where I colonized from? Would that affect potency/yield?

and last question: Cow shit beats horse shit, am I correct? *edit* nevermind. Horse shit is better because it's not digested as much and has some straw in it which is good for the mycelium. If using cow shit, one should mix it with straw. I just read this after posting and I'm leaving this Q/A up for anyone else who might stumble upon it.

--------------------

Edited by Alprazolom (09/26/06 05:40 PM)

Invisibleesdfsfd
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #6104292 - 09/26/06 05:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

no, most people prefer horse shit. one stomach instead of 3

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

#6104841 - 09/26/06 07:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Definitely going to use this with a couple of my cakes. Anyone know where to get hpoo? Does Home Depot/Lowes carry it in the garden section?

Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: TheEnd]
    #6105044 - 09/26/06 08:35 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

g2_93integra_boy said:
Anyone know where to get hpoo?
Thanks.

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBabo911
Pooper Scooper
 User Gallery

Loc: Arizona Bay
    #6105231 - 09/26/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RoosterCogburn said:
Stop at WaWa

Where would we be at be without wawa :smile: (Still sport the hat from when I worked there)  :grin:

--------------------

Ronhero on the Growery is me

InvisibleSpookerShroom
Shroomerite
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: Babo911]
    #6105399 - 09/26/06 10:05 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

www.tennstud.com

Can't go wrong there. If you buy the PrePasteurized substrate, it takes the pasteurizing part, and also finding field capacity(proper moisture content), out of the equation, two things most first timers have trouble with. Makes a nice easy introduction to bulk compost based subs.

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6105436 - 09/26/06 10:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Quote:

g2_93integra_boy said:
Anyone know where to get hpoo?
Thanks.

That looks more like a mule than a horse to me...but yeah, I get it...hpoo...from a horse??? NO!! Well thanks, I'll go grab a baggy and tell my horse to shit. :shitstorm:

Thanks for that link to the pre-pasturized hpoo, I think I'll probably get some of that. How many casings do you think I could do with the 5lb bag? Just need a rough estimate from those who have experience with casing.

--------------------

InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: TheEnd]
    #6105444 - 09/26/06 10:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Oh, would just straight hpoo work better than the 50/50?

--------------------

OfflineAlprazolom
Misfit
Female

#6105841 - 09/27/06 12:54 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Any hpoo should work as long as it's not treated right? Any particular brands or "types" I should stay away from?

I've never heard of Wawa and I'm trying to find the poop locally instead of buying it online.

Officebongtoke's signature says "GOTTA LOVE POO CAKES!!!"
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/files/06-04/813500695-thumb_pooharvest.jpg

The picture looks insane. What's a poo cake?

--------------------

Edited by Alprazolom (09/27/06 12:56 AM)

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

#6106214 - 09/27/06 07:47 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Wow... I think I might go for that. I emailed him for pricing, but does anyone know how much it is for small orders? (5 lbs)

Quote:

I've never heard of Wawa and I'm trying to find the poop locally instead of buying it online.

HAHA... That's funny sounding. WaWa is a convienience store around PA and NJ. They DO NOT sell shit, but they sell everything else.  :grin:

Edited by RoosterCogburn (09/27/06 07:49 AM)

OfflineDrMario
Head-Shrinker
Male User Gallery

#6106487 - 09/27/06 09:30 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

$15 for the 5lbs bag. Look at their "Order Page". I'm considering it too, thanks for the link SpookerShroom!

:mariopeace:

--------------------
"Hence in the wise leader's plans, considerations of advantage and of disadvantage will be blended together." -Sun Tzu

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: DrMario]
    #6106547 - 09/27/06 09:45 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It's totally free at any horse stable. Even large cities have those, and rich folks with horses in the back yard. Getting rid of the manure is always a problem with horse owners, so if you knock on the door to a house with horses out back, shovel and bag in hand, they will greet you as a hero, trust me. Get the weather bleached nuggets from the middle of the pasture, not the stuff mixed with cedar chips they shovel out of the barns.

Most large cities also have a mounted police division. You can go right to the police department stables, bag in hand, and ask for manure for your garden. Don't worry about answering questions. They'll be too busy pointing you to the pile.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Male User Gallery

Re: For increased yields, what options do I have after 1/2 pint jars are colonized? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6106623 - 09/27/06 10:09 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The pre-pasturized, pre-packed bags are nice tho... As a n00b, I don't want to get into all the "boiling bags of shit" just yet. And for $15, it's worth it to me!!

Here's a question for the myco-gods here... If I have 15 PF cakes, can I birth some into my FC (rubbermaid/perlite) like normal AND also place some cased trays in there? I think there's a RH difference, but is there a middle ground that will give me results for both cakes and casings?

I want to try both, but I also don't want to blow all my cakes on casing the first time around...

Oh, and very interesting to know that some active shrooms are grown with police horse poo... I just love irony!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale