Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Thinking about getting into glassblowing
    #6098634 - 09/25/06 01:44 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i'm wondering if this
http://www.mayneislandglass.com/15poundfurnace.htm
would suffice for making bongs and pipes? if not would this?
http://www.mayneislandglass.com/40poundfurnace.htm

I was also wondering if anyone out there had any tips for information like a good instructional book or video and more importantly any good safety tips or safety equipment?

Just looking for an alternative to buying ugly pieces, saving money on paraphanelia, and making gifts for friends!
I cannot smoke until march 17 so i should have plenty of time to build one of these things and find a local glassblowing class or someone that can teach me personally. Might have to get in good/better with the local headshop!

I used to have some beautiful pieces and bongs with over 300 invested before the police took my babies so now i'm in the market but i don't like what i'm seeing looks wise or price wise so i'm trying to assess all my options.

How many years will it take for me to learn to make a decent piece/water pipe?

how expensive are the materials?
Thanks for any help in advance!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa

Re: Thinking about getting into glassblowing [Re: StroFun]
    #6098683 - 09/25/06 01:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

What would you use for a glory hole?

What you are looking at would be for making batches of colored rod or for heating containers of glass to be used in casting.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
    #6098684 - 09/25/06 01:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i blow glass, and i can tell you this

with no formal traning (the route i took) this is what youre going to need before you can make a good piece

about $1000 for equipment and supplies, and SAFTEY equipment

and you will probably be able to make a decent looking smokeble pipe within 3 months

making decent beads in about a month or so.

go to this forum and register its number one for glass blowers
http://www.thegldg.com/forum/index.php

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

#6098689 - 09/25/06 02:01 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

soft glass bongs can be made with that furnace you got.

The clear tube style ones are made with a lath, the lathe costs around 5,000. Hence 300 dollar bongs.

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Re: Thinking about getting into glassblowing [Re: ZippoZ]
    #6098696 - 09/25/06 02:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

sweet thanks, ya i am a noob to glass, but its shiny and i have alot of free time and i blow my money anyways! 1000 is way more reasonable and 3 months is plenty of time thanks for the tips guys and sorry for my noobage

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: Thinking about getting into glassblowing [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6098701 - 09/25/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

what youre looking at, with those furnaces and such, is for making what is called Soft glass

its glass blowing, but more for vases and other large pieces of work, it basically involves dipping a long long copper rod into a batch of molten glass and going from there.

What you need to work with to make pipes is called HArd glass, aka Borosilicate glass / same type of glass as pyrex.

this is formed into tubes when you buy it, and has to be worked on an oxygen/propane torch to melt the colors and shape the piece

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

#6098712 - 09/25/06 02:09 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

excellent that is what i'm looking for, i saw someone working woth glass at my local renaissance festival, she was just amking beads but it was pretty fuckin cool and i've always held a high regard for a nicely shaped piece!

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Re: Thinking about getting into glassblowing *DELETED* [Re: StroFun]
    #6098727 - 09/25/06 02:13 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by StroFun

Reason for deletion: Hanky is a bitch

#6099303 - 09/25/06 05:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I do it at home. But a lot goes into setup. Air flow is a major need. The vapor and gases are very harmfull. Heavy metals and chemicals getting burned into the air can have major side effects.

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Re: Thinking about getting into glassblowing [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #6100360 - 09/25/06 08:55 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yes i was thinking of portable so it could be moved outside by one person.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#6100459 - 09/25/06 09:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

even outside youre going to want a ventilation system, and probably a semi enclosed space so that the flame dosent get blown around too much by the wind, which can also lead to un-even glass heating and cracking.

check out that forum i listed, it has lots and lots of info.

and here is a french site that has a photo pictorial of how to make glass rings, which i find pretty interesting

http://perles-au-chalumeau.forumactif.com/viewtopic.forum?t=462

--------------------
PEACE

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

#6102109 - 09/26/06 07:55 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Fuckin right! Thank you very much for the info a setup to get me started would be a good christmas present to myself! Thank you thank you thank you!

[edit] will be renting some donated vids on glassblowing from the above mentioned forum library and i will check those out before i ask anymore dumb questions and make a fool of myself on the other board or this one:) thanks again!

Edited by StroFun (09/27/06 07:31 AM)

#6102112 - 09/26/06 07:56 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You will also need to rent a tank of oxygen.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder