Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds UK
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePsilocybeingzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: International waters
When is the earliest I can start??
    #6101702 - 09/26/06 06:40 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I want to have plenty of morel mycelium by the time spring rolls around(well a little before spring to be exact)

But I also dont want my mycelium rotting in their jars and bags etc, because they were left in to long.
When is a good time to get on this project and start producing mycelium en masse?

And should I G2G to build up my mycelium????

I havent seen alot of info on morels.

Thanks.

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: When is the earliest I can start?? [Re: Psilocybeingzz]
    #6101736 - 09/26/06 07:07 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

The best time to plant morel mycelium outdoors is autumn, so now actually.

Invisiblephalcon005

Re: When is the earliest I can start?? [Re: Anno]
    #6102360 - 09/26/06 11:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I have read that late fall early winter time is very good, December being a prime time to set up a site. The technique I've reviewed and plan on setting up with a friend this new years is to pile up a bunch of wood debri in a wooded area and burn the site. Afterwords we'll use a shovel to somewhat mix the ash into the soil along with a bunch of morel spawn (wheat berries are working great for me). Then we'll cover with an inch or two of loose mulch or an equivalent lying around, soak it liberally and forget about it until spring. I recall reading the soaking part is very key so don't short cut around that. When this is performed this late in the year the spawn is somewhat dormant and will likely fruit that spring, whereas setting up beds in the spring will likely result in the spawn growing out from the site many feet. An account spoke of this expansion going nearly 50 feet from the bed site to follow a person's walkway, where they found morels a year later.

As for G2G, I would be careful expanding morels in such a fashion. I have headed the advice that morel strains loose viability in expansion even faster than other species, so I would stick with going from agar to grain for each jar you use. Also of note, when doing this the morel will rapidly colonize the grain, probably twice as fast as most other types I've ever worked with. I have never tried to make a grain jar just for spawn, but routinely make jars for sclerota formation. A single piece of culture, about a quarter of a square centimeter, will reach the bottom of quart jar in about nine days with no shuffling, and I'm guessing improvements in my technique can speed it up faster than that. I can't get shiitake to grow that fast when I'm shaking the jar every three days to disperse the grains. So, my advice would be to have several plates of your culture ready in November, and near the end of that month make up as many wheat grain spawn jars as you want, which will be ready to use in less than two weeks.

How big of an area are you wanting to spawn?

Invisiblephalcon005

Re: When is the earliest I can start?? [Re: phalcon005]
    #6102379 - 09/26/06 11:25 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I'm still a devote fan of the shroomery, but I've found a lot of good info on morel growth at thenook.org. Brainbreath there has some experience in commercial cultivation (nothing quite as good as micoloco2 in my opinion) but he wrote about doing this over a two acre plot and a two and a half acre plot using something like over a ton of grain spawn. I'm still trying to find some more results on that endeavor, heh.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: When is the earliest I can start?? [Re: phalcon005]
    #6107907 - 09/27/06 05:59 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

also its best to start from spores. Don't let the spawn colonize and sit in the jar till it turns black/brown. you wanna go spores, dish, grain, beds all really fast. They grow at such a rate a dish is colonized in a couple days. Move it to grain before it gets dark. Move that to the substrate before it too gets dark. then late nature take over.

i think the mycelia runs so fast because it really hates sitting in its waste. Wouldn't you? The idea is to let it grow and don't hold it back. As soon as it hits a block in the road it will weaken and slow down.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms