Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
stalling a casing with pins
    #6081694 - 09/20/06 09:58 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

so... there's these two casings, gorgeous pinsets on both, pins are about 1/8-1/4" in height at this point.  seen enough casings to realize these are going to be ready for harvesting some time saturday.

the dilemma... yet again on short notice im leaving town from friday til late sunday night.  if theres one thing i hate its overmature mushrooms.

ive stalled and saved plenty of LCs, fully colonized spawn jars, even fully colonized substrates prior to casing them by refrigerating... always works like a charm.  so what do you suppose happens if i cover these guys up and stick them in the fridge at this point, with 100+ pins already on each of them?

my intuition says its going to be just fine.  in fact i've already covered them and put them in the fridge. :smile:  my plan is to leave them there for about 24h, take them out some time tomorrow (thursday) and return to fruiting conditions.  i'll baby them until i leave on friday.  i figure the total stall of 24 hours combined with probably another 12 hours of warm-up and "recovery" time before they continue growing again will be just enough of a delay in the process that they will mature some time on late sunday, or maybe even monday morning when i can actually take care of them.

im not exactly hard up for mushrooms and like i said i really really hate over-mature, spore covered uglies... almost as much as i hate a screwed up casing that produces nothing, so im not gonna cry a river if they dont make it. :smile:  its also worth the risk to have the experience of knowing in the future if this is a viable option or not, being that i do have to travel quite often on short notice and i've faced this problem in the past.

so lets take some bets, who thinks this will turn out, or who thinks i just killed the crop? :smile:

better yet if somebody has actually done this and cares to post their direct experiences with it, that'd be totally awesome of you :thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: stalling a casing with pins [Re: creamcorn]
    #6081743 - 09/20/06 10:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've put them outside in the wintertime(40's) to stall in similar circumstances. However, only being gone for a weekend, I think I'd have just let them grow until Friday, then harvest the young fruits. They're better quality anyway if the veils haven't torn.

If they're already in the refrigerator, your plan sounds good. You might want to leave them in there a bit longer than 24 hours though.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: stalling a casing with pins [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6090676 - 09/22/06 03:22 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

well im happy to say that they returned to their FC last night, and by this afternoon i noticed a tiny bit of growth... they're waking back up.

seems as if its worked just fine. :thumbup:

haha now they get to be totally neglected for the next few days.. yay for small fruits with long stems and tiny caps (what usually happens when i leave 'em to their own devices, time for a bigger air pump :smile:)  'tis still better than overmatured spore mess IMO. :thumbup:

InvisibleOmnicracker
Crusted Trolltivator

Loc: Wal-Merica
Trusted Cultivator
Re: stalling a casing with pins [Re: creamcorn]
    #6090999 - 09/22/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

what do you mean overmatured spore mess?

--------------------

xxx..Learn Something..xxx

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: stalling a casing with pins [Re: Omnicracker]
    #6096247 - 09/24/06 04:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

^^^ haha thats exactly what i mean.  id rather have no mushrooms than mushrooms like those... im a cube snob. :wink:

anyway if anybody was interested how this panned out... its looking pretty good.  to sum up two trays were both subject to refrigeration for a little over 24h then returned to fruiting... then were subject to about 48 hours of neglect. :smile:

one tray came out quite a bit better than the other - and its the one that was slightly farther ahead when subject to the cold.  so anecdotally i'm thinking here if this is something that has to be done its best to let the pins mature as much as possible before going for it, the younger ones are immature and seemingly a little less tolerant to the harsher conditions.

the better of the two trays, not bad :thumbup:

the worse of the two... oh so many pins that didnt seem to make it...

a close-up showing all the pinners that probably won't get a chance to be :frown:

who knows if it even has to do with the cold, like i said the neglect following the cold certainly didnt help.  we know FAE is crucial to pin development at that early stage and in spite of some polyfilled holes and an air pump i like to fan out that FC during that early stage (and they seem to like it too)... anyway im pleased they made it this far and ill add the "fridge stall for developing fruitbodies" to my repitoire of tricks :smile:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale