Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineplyx
That BlondeChick

Saturated silica gel as casing layer? *Now With Science Nerd Back-Up*!
    #6092229 - 09/23/06 12:12 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Is there a possibility of using the silica gel beads that change color to indicate when they are saturated as a casing layer by saturating them, letting them dry for a few hours or so, then laying them over substrate as a casing layer.

They would be very resistant to contams and it would be fairly easy to be sure that your casing layer was at the right humidity. If you kept them at just the right level of humidity they would'nt be sucking precious precipitation from the substrate, instead they would make sure locking the water in was a guarantee. Maybe?

I did a search for this here and came up with nothing.

Edited by plyx (09/24/06 03:05 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineCantiSama

Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: plyx]
    #6092314 - 09/23/06 12:54 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i would think that something used to dry shrooms to the bone would make a really crappy casing layer. i'm going to say no, it is exactly the opposite of what you want.

--------------------
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

Offlineplyx
That BlondeChick

Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: CantiSama]
    #6092321 - 09/23/06 01:02 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I understand what you are saying, but have you read my entire post?

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
    #6092333 - 09/23/06 01:13 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The color changing properties of silica gel are a result of a toxic chemical. I'd also imagine that mycelium would have a tough time growing on the beads.

Short answer is No.

Offlineplyx
That BlondeChick

Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: zathan]
    #6092343 - 09/23/06 01:20 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

From what I understood, the casing layer needs to be non-nutritive. That is definetly a property of silica gel. Also. if I'm not mistaken, Mushrooms don't "grow" on any casing layer, the casing just allows them to have a place away from the substrate to blossom. The primary function of a casing layer is to provide the substrate with a constant level of hydration, partly by making sure the humidity doesn't escape too quickly.

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
    #6092347 - 09/23/06 01:28 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

doesnt sound like a good idea to me, but give it a shot and report back if you are really that curious

--------------------
----------

OfflineCantiSama

#6092350 - 09/23/06 01:29 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

no, i didn't because i think this idea is ridiculous, but alright, how about this: the silica can't absorb moisture indefinitely, right? so while you water the gel to the "right" level it will just become a blob of goo. when it becomes too saturated with water, you're fucked because water won't evaporate out of it and you will be stuck with a mess and no mushrooms. but hey, i could be wrong so try it.

--------------------
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

Offlinezathan
Buttstuff
 User Gallery
Loc: So long stinktown
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: CantiSama]
    #6092365 - 09/23/06 01:43 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Hazards

Alone, silica gel is non-toxic, non-flammable and chemically unreactive. However, some of the beads may be doped with a moisture indicator, such as cobalt (II) chloride, which is carcinogenic. Cobalt (II) chloride is deep blue when dry (anhydrous) and pink when moist (hydrated). This is the reason most silica gel packets are labeled as dangerous or poisonous when eaten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

There's a reason why silica packets are labeled in plain letters, DO NOT EAT. But try it out anyway, eat the silica shrooms and tell us about it.

OfflineWaCaRnOLdS2006
First TimeGrower
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: zathan]
    #6092404 - 09/23/06 01:59 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

DONT ARGUE ABOUT IT, I THINK HE SHOULD PERSONALLY GIVE IT A TRY FOR THE SAKE OF KNOWING. NOT SAYING I THINK IT WILL WORK BUT IF YOUR CURIOUS THEN GIVE IT A TRY.

OfflineQuake3
Total Carbohydrate
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Relatively New York
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: WaCaRnOLdS2006]
    #6092423 - 09/23/06 02:13 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I wouldn't use Silica gel because of the danger labeled above, but I like the direction you're thinking in. Find a safer alternative with the same properties.

InvisibleSam1912
journeyman

Loc: Cali
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: Quake3]
    #6092492 - 09/23/06 04:02 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

with this toxicity thing.. YOu can probably make little isolation cups.. but for feasibility?

Well, wouldn't it be really nice if the indicators indicated real live information of 99% saturation? For 1, it's hydration of the molecules over time.. beads work independantly from dessicants to give you approximation.(very rough approximation) meaning built up. Unless you plan on a slow conveyor belt of fresh indicators, there is no way to get current information by using indicators.

I believe, there are, however, more expensive versions you can buy for few thousand dollars that gives you full soil condition data using electrical probes. But somehow, I doubt that this post is about best setups, but rather cheaper alternatives. In any case, feel free to experiment if you want. Just don't put that stuff exposed to mycelium nutrient chain.

--------------------
Protect your civil rights!  End drug prohibition.  And if you don't care about your civil rights, protect mine!

If you want a rating from me, please PM me.  For those really newbies, don't expect an answer back, but you can try me anyways.

Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: Sam1912]
    #6092777 - 09/23/06 09:56 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

doesnt silica absorb oxygen? Arent you constantly trying to get more oxygen into your FC? dumb idea

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: mushnoon]
    #6092811 - 09/23/06 10:17 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Putting the whole toxicity issue aside, it will most likely still not work. There's what I believe to be a fatal flaw in plyx' theory. Yes, the silica gel will absorb a lot of moisture, right up to the point where it's saturated. But where would you go from there? If you apply it as a casing layer, the moisture-sucking capability (osmotic value, if you want) will be many times higher than that of the mycelium (that's why silica gel is used in drying applications in the first place.) The effect is that the silica gel will draw moisture from the mycelium and substrate instead of the other way round as soon as the gel gets below its saturation point (which will be immediately if you dry the gel before you use it as casing.) Conclusion: the silica gel will do a lot of damage moisture-wise besides being carcinogenic and therefore a potential health hazard.

Definitely a no-go.

OfflineMoomba
Mushi Mushi
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Seattle, WA, USA
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: mushnoon]
    #6092817 - 09/23/06 10:20 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

:shake:

--------------------

Offlineplyx
That BlondeChick

Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: Moomba]
    #6094880 - 09/24/06 01:08 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

At least I'm not the only Nerd to have ever had this idea, check out:
http://www.mycologia.org/cgi/reprint/95/4/620.pdf

Notice in the first paragraph of the notes what casing materials this particular fungus would not fruit on. Any of those sound familiar?

BTW-agaricus bisporus is the mushroom you find at pizza hut.

Edited by plyx (09/24/06 03:10 AM)

Invisiblekoraks
    #6094996 - 09/24/06 04:42 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Interestingly, the paper you refer to also concludes that a. bisporus did not form primordia when cased with vermiculite, whereas cubes actually will pin when cased with straight verm.

OfflineDeception
HopefullyTripping Soon
Male
Loc: Somewhere Over the Rainbo...
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: koraks]
    #6095068 - 09/24/06 06:16 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Do the chemicals everyone is freaking out about come out of the silica beads when you take the moisture out of them? (baking or heating in some way..) most desiccant chamber type devices I've seen so far recommend having the desiccant on a screen so the water will pool below them.. rather than a casing layer would it be beneficial to (on a screen) have the desiccant above the casing layer where it will pull moisture in and shower the casing? Lol.. this sounded better in my head but rather than elaborate any further I'll just leave it be and let people comment/tear it apart piece by piece.. well have at it  :thumbup: :thumbdown:

--------------------
If at first you don't succeed..
Hit it till your knuckles bleed..

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? [Re: Deception]
    #6095195 - 09/24/06 08:56 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

The article on agaricus bisporus referenced silica, NOT silica gel which is a totally different, toxic product. Silica is sand.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? *Now With Science Nerd Back-Up*! [Re: plyx]
    #6095251 - 09/24/06 09:42 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

plyx said:
Is there a possibility of using the silica gel beads that change color to indicate when they are saturated as a casing layer by saturating them, letting them dry for a few hours or so, then laying them over substrate as a casing layer.

They would be very resistant to contams and it would be fairly easy to be sure that your casing layer was at the right humidity. If you kept them at just the right level of humidity they would'nt be sucking precious precipitation from the substrate, instead they would make sure locking the water in was a guarantee. Maybe?

I did a search for this here and came up with nothing.

Try polymer crystals instead.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Invisiblemonstermitch
Growing in Bags Doesn't Work

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Arizona Bay Flag
Re: Saturated silica gel as casing layer? *Now With Science Nerd Back-Up*! [Re: hyphae]
    #6095258 - 09/24/06 09:46 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

hyphae said:

Try polymer crystals instead.

get ones that are potassium based, not sodium based.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale