Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleuber_aj
Goodbye Shroomery!
Male

Loc: Much love to you all
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival *DELETED* [Re: CantiSama]
    #6080669 - 09/19/06 10:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by uber_aj

Reason for deletion: .

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCracka_X
Spiritual Dirt Worshipper
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Swamp
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: Jim]
    #6080814 - 09/19/06 11:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah my camping neighbors at a festival in Indiana told me about how there were people with night vision and shit in the woods. Saying how bc it was a national park. Then again, maybe the feds/dea and such recieved tips about something a major drug dealer was going to be there or whatever.

All in all, to have that at a music festival is EXTREMELY FUCKED UP.

They told me about how cops would go through the campgrounds and see trash and would give shit about littering and saying they have the right to search camp sites.

--------------------
The best way to live
is to be like water
For water benefits all things
and goes against none of them
It provides for all people
and even cleanses those places
a man is loath to go
In this way it is just like Tao        ~Daodejing

OfflineCantiSama

Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: uber_aj]
    #6080866 - 09/19/06 11:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

haha, well, if by that you are referring to Daniel Rocha, i knew him... he stole all the stereo equipment out of my friends car and robbed his house. smart kid.

--------------------
Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.

InvisibleNemo_Hoes
Juan Sánchez Villa-Lobo Ramírez
 User Gallery

Loc: Ray Ray's Mystery Garage
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6081069 - 09/20/06 12:29 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ExplosiveMango said:
*policeman pops around corner and identifies himself, startling crack dealer*

*crack dealer shoots policeman in the head*

G'job big brother, keep taking away that freedom in exchange for justice!

--------------------
We will also report to the NAACP and to Al Sharpton's entourage, how the Shroomery administrators allows their mods and members to be balatantly allowed the use of the 'N' word.

OfflineRamlaen
Pysconaut
 User Gallery

Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: Nemo_Hoes]
    #6081278 - 09/20/06 04:53 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Festivals need to move to private farms to avoid some of this bullshit

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: Ramlaen]
    #6081414 - 09/20/06 07:54 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ever since Bush came back into power Festivals have been getting shittier and shittier. Al-Qaeda is the government. When you buy heroin your giving money to the government. All these jack boots wtih there anti drug agenda are fools. They have no idea that all the heroin and opium is being shipped in by the same people that employ them to put drug dealers and users in prison. There will be new ways to beat this surveliance at festivals and trust well all be doing it. DEA agents wake up read powder burns, look into how the CIA ships the drugs into the country, and do something about it!!!

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
1971 drug raid recalled in light of Wakarusa fest revelations [Re: Jim]
    #6093050 - 09/23/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/sep/23/1971_drug_raid_recalled_light_wakarusa_fest_revela/

1971 drug raid recalled in light of Wakarusa fest revelations

By Eric Weslander

Saturday, September 23, 2006

Long-haired hippies. Dope. Zealous police.

What a difference 35 years doesn’t make.

Long before the police checkpoint and high-tech hidden surveillance cameras that caused a stir this summer at the Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival at Clinton Lake, there was Vern Miller.

Miller, then Kansas attorney general, made headlines in the early 1970s for promising to land with “both feet” in Lawrence’s hippie-filled drug culture.

And so he did in pre-dawn raids on Sept. 24, 1971. That was 35 years ago Monday.

“We met out here about four o’clock in the morning. It was all full of patrol cars,” retired Lawrence Police Detective Don Dalquest said Friday, sitting on a bench at Broken Arrow Park, the improvised headquarters for the raiding party of 80 law enforcement officers from five agencies that Miller led on sweeps through Lawrence.

“Vern Miller was here and he was standing on a bench,” Dalquest said. “He told us we were going to be part of a drug raid, that we’d made some buys. We had a bunch of search warrants, and they’d broken us up into teams.”

Enduring drug war

Monday’s anniversary is a reminder how little and how much things have changed.

“We still have large raids, especially from long-term investigations,” said Jeff Brandau, special agent of the Kansas Bureau of Investigation. “They’re generally ... a little bit more low-key” than those staged by Miller.

The blond, athletically built attorney general in one raid gained widespread publicity for leaping from the trunk of a car.

Overall, Brandau said, illegal drugs are still a constant source of concern for law enforcement.

“It’s rather sad, to be honest with you. It hasn’t gotten to be less of a problem. It continues to fester in society,” he said.

Restoring order

That morning 35 years ago, about 20 people, mostly Kansas University students and including the son of a judge in another Kansas county, were arrested for charges including selling marijuana and amphetamines and possessing LSD.

Dalquest recalled he was paired with uniformed officers and KBI agents. His assignment as they raided a home on Connecticut Street, he said, was to make sure the suspects didn’t flush the drugs down the toilet — something he stopped them in the process of doing.

It was at least the third raid Miller had staged in Lawrence, according to news reports at the time. In the months before the raids, racial tensions and opposition to the Vietnam War had led to violent street clashes between protesters and police.

“There was a need for someone from the law-enforcement community to restore order because there was no order,” said Ed Collister, a Lawrence attorney who was an assistant attorney general at the time of the raids.

‘Cowboy mentality’

Some people viewed Miller’s tactics as grandstanding — or “hot-dogging,” in the words of Charles Whitman, a local defense attorney in practice at the time.

“I just don’t think it’s good law enforcement,” Whitman said. “That’s just the cowboy mentality. I don’t think it turned out to make much of a difference one way or the other in law enforcement or the course of social behavior.”

In later years, Miller became a defense attorney and still has a practice in Wichita. He couldn’t be reached for this article. But he said in a 2003 interview that he still believed drug dealers should be prosecuted strongly, though he favored a change in Kansas law that provided for treatment instead of prison for drug users.

“My whole philosophy was everybody should obey the laws. If you don’t like the law, change it,” he said in 2003. “I’ve got clients, they’re addicts and they were arrested for possession. These guys aren’t criminals, and they shouldn’t be in jail.”

Sending a message

In comparison with the roughly 20 people arrested in the 1971 raid, more than 80 people were arrested during the four-day Wakarusa Music & Camping Festival earlier this year — most of them for being minors in possession of alcohol, but many for drugs.

In both cases, the Douglas County jail and the court system required special measures to deal with the increased volume.

In both cases, law enforcement had given a warning a few months ahead of time. Earlier this year before the Wakarusa festival, police warned they planned to double their presence — in part because of concerns about drug dealing and a drug-related death at the previous year’s festival — and urged people to leave drugs at home.

Miller’s raids in Lawrence began in early 1971. Two months before the September 1971 raid, he had warned publicly that there was still drug dealing in town and that more raids could be coming.

“It was just the way Vern operated. I don’t think it was good or bad,” said Mike Elwell, who was county attorney at the time. “He was in it to kind of send a message.”

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineEdgekrusher
God
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: Jim]
    #6094768 - 09/23/06 11:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Jim said:
‘Nobody knew’

The cameras were controlled by a computerized command center in a 21-foot trailer that was parked atop a hill in the middle of a Frisbee golf course inside the park.

I was camped right off shakedown (behind The Ragin Cajun), and it was extremely apparent even within the first hours of arriving. There was, like the quote says, a 21ft surveillance trailer with transmission dishes parked on top of a hill overlooking the whole camping area. Glass blowers weren't allowed to sell their pieces. At any given time you could stand up, turn in a complete circle, and spot atleast eight cops. Usually on 4-wheelers or bikes. I even saw a cop buy a bunch of assorted tye-dye from a vender, so I'm sure there were lots of undercovers. At night they'd hide in the woods with their night vision.

Not everyone hassled got a citation. Just about all my neighbors got fucked with, but usually they'd just take their drugs, pipes, and sometimes their money..

By the 2nd night noone was selling on shakedown. In fact, the only people on shakedown were people trying to raise money (begging) to get their busted friend out of jail.

I'm never going to a show/festival in Kansas again.

InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: Police used high-tech surveillance at festival [Re: Edgekrusher]
    #6094811 - 09/24/06 12:05 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Edgekrusher said:
I'm never going to a show/festival in Kansas again.

I don't blame you. Kansas sucks the goat's balls mightily anyway.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale