Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ∞
2006 Pumpkin season thread ***HARVEST PICS***
    #6093960 - 09/23/06 06:35 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome to the pumpkin thread...

Come here to find great pumpkin recipes for the 2006 season which is just now underway. Pumpkins are one of my absolute favorite things in the world and i take joy in being able to grow my own and share recipes with my fellow shroomerites. So i wanted to make a place for everyone to share pumpkin recipes and jack o' lantern pictures during this 2006 pumpkin/haloween season...

Anyone else here grow their own pumpkins, i just harvested my first few ripe ones yesterday. I have some washed seeds on a screen drying for next year (and trades if anybody wants, eggplant, gold rush zucchini too). I love pumpkin season makes baked goods soo tasty. Just made some pumpkin oatmeal raisin cookies, a pumpkin cheesecake, 2 pumpkin pies and filled a bunch of freezer bags with pumpkin puree for later use... I am also going to be roasting tons and tons of pumpkins seeds, if anyody would like a bag of roasted seeds as well, they are delicious. I'm trying to make my first attempts at getting involved in trading here on the shroomery, I wish I had some other things to start off with but i don't yet.. (I will later)

Anyways, this thread is about pumpkins. my camera is dead as per usual but i will get some good pumpkin pictures up befroe seasons done... show your pumpkins and pumpkin recipes here...

My pumpkins aren't your average cooking pumpkin size, but are every single bit as delicious. Next year i hope to add an actually pie pumpkin breed to my garden. I'll add my recipes later...

***HARVEST PICS IN MY LATEST REPLY SCROLL DOWN TO VIEW***

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫
lyrics from: Transglobal Underground - Eyeway Souljah (from Psychic Karaoke)

Edited by tickettothemoon (10/14/06 11:23 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Pumpkin season... [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6094059 - 09/23/06 07:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think it's safe to say that I love pumpkins. I would love you're recipe for the cheesecake model and you're regular pumpkin pie as well.

Perhaps, the only sweet delicacies of which I'll ever eat. Won't touch any cake, doughnut or pie ever. But I love pumpkin material. Hate squash though.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pumpkin season... [Re: Stein]
    #6094458 - 09/23/06 10:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I just bit my first bite of the cheesecake. Its absolutley amazing, better than an orgasm well almost, its up there though.

First off all the recipes from fresh pumpkin use pumkin puree so here is how to make puree from a fresh pumpkin:

1. preheat oven to 350-375 F
2. cut pumpkin in half and remove the seeds and brains (fiberous strands attached to seeds, make sure you get it all) Seeds can be saved from a fresh pumpkin for roasting or viable use if really fresh.
3. cut the pumpkin into 4 or 8 pieces and put on a cookie sheet
4. put in oven for 90 minutes (1 1/2 hrs for the mathematically impaired)
5. remove the pulp from the rind with a spoon and put in a mixer bowl (the exterior of the pulp exposed to air can be discarded as well as the rind, it should come off in a nice thin layer pretty easily)
6. mix until smooth (for thicker puree strain excess water out through a cheesecloth)

For the cheesecake (my fiancee found this online yesterday I do not know the site):

1 shortbread pie crust premade (its against my rules to use premade but i gave in today for sake of a lot of baking to do)
1 8 oz pkg cream cheese
16 oz cream cheese frosting (homemade or store bought)
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
1 tsb baking powder
ground cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin pie spice, all spice and cloves to taste... (I eyeballed about 3/4 tsp nutmeg and cinnamon and 1/2 tsb of the rest)

DIRECTIONS:

1. mix cream cheese and frosting in a bowl, until runny and creamy.
2. add pumpkin puree to mixture
3. while the mixer is runing i sprinkled my spices in after the puree looked mixed in
4. pour in pie crust
5. refrigerate for an hour or more (more is better)
6. sprinkle lightly with cinnamon and nutmeg
7. enjoy

Pumpkin pie

1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
2/3 cups sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 cups evaporated milk
3 eggs
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/8 tsp ginger
1 tsp grated orange peel
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
Pie crust of your choice (premade or homemade)

DIRECTIONS:

1. preheat oven to 425
2. mix pumpkin, sugars, orange peel, and spices in large bowl
3. add evaporated milk and eggs to the mixture, continuing to mix (1 egg at a time)
4.pour pie filling into crust
5. bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes
6. reduce heat to 350 and bake for 45 minutes (if crust gets dark too fast take it out and put foil over the crust only try not to have it out of the oven longer than needed)

--------------------

♫ ♪ In the garden of many fields, there is no me or you. There is no right or wrong. There is no up or down. There is no black or white. Everyone is the plow man. Everyone is the seed. Everyone harvests and everyone yields. In the garden of many fields, everyone is one with one love and one love is one with everyone. ♪ ♫

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
    #6094696 - 09/23/06 11:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds delicious. I guess for those who want don't grow their own should buy pie pumpkins. The large carving pumpkins are bred for size, not flavor.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pumpkin season... [Re: daussaulit]
    #6094712 - 09/23/06 11:21 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yes the ones bred for carving are not quite as flavorful but if you get a nice medium sized one the flavor isn't bad. I use the same type for both but i agree if you don't want to grow them you should look for pie pumpkins they are by far the best and you don't end up with an assload of extra material...

--------------------

InvisibleStein
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6095259 - 09/24/06 09:47 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I might do that cheesecake.  Doesn't sound hard at all.  Just need to pick up a few spices and things. Nice :thumbup:

Invisiblerod
Ψ
 User Gallery

#6095386 - 09/24/06 10:45 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

nice sounding stuff. :thumbup:
also, pumpkin seeds are nice toasted in the oven.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Pumpkin season... [Re: rod]
    #6095723 - 09/24/06 01:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I have toasted (we call em roasted) seeds for trade in my journal... along with some other simple stuff...

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Pumpkin Beer [Re: daussaulit]
    #6095795 - 09/24/06 01:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

daussaulit-

I found a recipe today for a pumpkin beer online today. I just noticed you are into home brewing and thought maybe it'd interest you and make a nice addition to the thread...

Pumpkin Beer from The Pumpkin Nook
Description: There is pumpkin beer on the market. You can brew your own at home. If you already make home brew, the extra steps are easy. These steps were given to me by a friend who is taking a course in home brewing. While I enjoy beer, I have never brewed it myself.The instructions below only address the added steps, not the complete brewing process.

All grain brewing:

1. Add two pounds of pumpkin meat to your mash. Either steam the pumpkin and remove the flesh or pumpkin puree (CAUTION: use your own pumpkin to make the puree do not buy the canned pumpkin with added sugar, your bottles will explode!!! thanks to krishna for the tip)
2. Mash and sparge.
3. Add spices at the end of the boil.
4. Try adding a little nutmeg and/or cinnamon to your spices.

That's all folks!

Drink and enjoy!

--------------------

Edited by tickettothemoon (09/24/06 02:27 PM)

InvisibleKrishna
कृष्ण,LOL
 User Gallery

Loc: oakland
Re: Pumpkin Beer [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6095833 - 09/24/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

just be sure not to use pre-packaged pumpkin-in-a-can that has added sugar, or you'll have way too much sugar and the bottles will all explode.

--------------------

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
pumpkin pics [Re: Krishna]
    #6095908 - 09/24/06 02:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Here's some pics i took today in my pumpkin patch. Iit's a horse pasture during the winter, mushrooms grow there very well (no actives right now, just a bunch of random LBM's). They grow underneath the leaves, they hide mushrooms from the sun very well and the grass that grows in during the year keeps the moisture there. Here's some pics of  my pumpkins...

There's a lot more pumpkins, but i might want to save my upload space for something later today lol...

This is all thats left form what i made yesterday(i hid the cheesecake :lol: ):

--------------------

Edited by tickettothemoon (09/24/06 04:38 PM)

Offlinechamp
pudding pop
 User Gallery

Loc: unknown trashscape
Re: pumpkin pics [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6096888 - 09/24/06 09:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've been making pumpkin seed-flavored oil by gently warming some seeds in a pan and when they look lightly toasted I add about a half cup of olive oil and turn off the heat. When it is cooled, I put it in a glass jar and use it on salads.

An especially amazing salad is mixed greens, thinly sliced green apples, crumbled goat cheese and then the pumpkin seed infused oil drizzled on top and a bit of sherry vinegar.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Pumpkin Beer [Re: CosmicFunGuy]
    #6097024 - 09/24/06 10:13 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

tickettothemoon said:
daussaulit-

I found a recipe today for a pumpkin beer online today. I just noticed you are into home brewing and thought maybe it'd interest you and make a nice addition to the thread...

done and done.
I made this one batch called winterfest. I can't remember the exact recipe, but it was something like:
1000# Pale Malt
65# Chocolate Malt
35# Black Patent
40# Roasted Barley
4 gallons blackstrap molasses
20 cinnamon sticks
1 spice jar of whole nutmeg
30 cloves
pinch of cardamom
40# roasted pie pumpkins

Turned out great.

Offlinemakaveli8x8
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Pumpkin Beer [Re: daussaulit]
    #6097729 - 09/25/06 06:19 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

WOW MAN, how much beer did you make that day about 2000 gallons? lLOL

--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Pumpkin Beer [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #6100782 - 09/25/06 10:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Nah, only about 400 gallons. It was when I was brewing professionally. I've overseen other people who have made pumpkin beer with pumpkin or fermented inside a pumpkin, but pumpkin really has no flavor. When people think of the flavor of pumpkin, they're really thinking of the spices(nutmeg, cloves(or allspice), cinammon, and ginger).

This might be a worthy experiment. Make 2 cheesecakes, one with pumpkin puree without spices, and a plain cheesecake, and do a blind folded taste test and just telling the tester that one is a plain cheesecake and one isn't, and see if they can tell you what the difference is.

OfflineJfisher
fungusaficionado
 User Gallery

Loc: Sealand
Re: Pumpkin Beer [Re: daussaulit]
    #6100850 - 09/25/06 10:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Think you could convert that to a partial extract 5 gallon recipe?

Thanks!

~~~~~~~~

And the best pumpkin pie I've ever had/made (I'm obsessed with pumpkin pie):

Ginger-Honey Pumpkin Pie

1 Butter Pie Crust Dough (recipe follows)
15 ounces pumpkin puree (One can or a little less than 2 cups fresh puree)
1/2 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/3 cup honey (I've used lilac and clover, and the taste of the honey does matter.  Use something you like a lot, lilac was far better.)
3 large eggs
1 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 tablespoon finely grated peeled fresh ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1 very small pinch of ground clove
1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg

Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch deep-dish glass pie dish.  Refrigerate 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 375°F. Line crust with foil. Fill with dried beans (they keep the crust from puffing up). Bake until edges begin to brown, about 17 minutes. Remove foil and beans. Bake until golden brown, pressing with back of fork if crust bubbles, about 5 minutes longer. Take it out, and leave the oven on.

Whisk pumpkin, sugar, and honey in large bowl. Whisk in eggs 1 at a time. Whisk in cream and spices. Pour into crust. Bake pie until set, covering edges with foil collar* if browning too fast, about 60 minutes. :drooling:

*To make a foil collar, fold a 12-inch-long piece of foil into a strip with 3-inch-high sides. Stand the strip on the oven rack around the pie dish. Secure the collar with a paper clip. The collar doesn't have to touch or cover the crust to protect it.

Butter Pie Crust Dough

1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 tablespoons (or more) ice water

Blend flour, sugar, and salt in processor. Add butter and cut in, using on/off turns, until coarse meal forms. Add 3 tablespoons water. Using on/off turns, blend just until moist clumps form, adding more water by 1/2 tablespoonfuls if dough is dry. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate 1 hour. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Keep chilled. Soften slightly at room temperature before rolling.)

Makes one 9-inch crust.

--------------------
Any information written above is purely fictional.
Any images do not belong to the owner of this account.

InvisiblePav

#6118322 - 09/30/06 11:57 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

I grew some pumpkins on my own this year too, on accident!

Last year for halloween, I made jack o' lanterns and left some whole pumpkins out on display for the holiday. Well, I only used the pumpkin seeds from the jack o' lanterns to make some roasted pumpkin seeds, so I just tossed the whole pumpkins in the compost pile in the back of my yard. Over the summer this year, I did some yard re-modelling and added a few gardens in. It turns out, the pumpkin seeds weren't fully composted and I had a pumpkin plant growing in my front yard! It was quite the surprise when the pumpkin plant flourished and produced three beautiful pumpkins.

--------------------

All posts are fictional and do not signify, represent, or describe real events or circumstances.

OfflineCosmicFunGuy
ॐconsciousnessॐ
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pumpkin pics [Re: Pav]
    #6120874 - 10/01/06 09:18 AM (17 years, 5 months ago)

My friend always leaves one on the vine and lets it sit all winter. by the next summer he's normally got 5-6 plants spreading wildy across his feild. Its the way nature would have it.

--------------------

InvisiblePav

#6121662 - 10/01/06 04:09 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

That's a smart idea. A little too late now though.
=(

--------------------

All posts are fictional and do not signify, represent, or describe real events or circumstances.

OfflineJack_Straw
ROC
 User Gallery
Re: pumpkin pics [Re: Pav]
    #6122417 - 10/01/06 08:31 PM (17 years, 5 months ago)

i thought the vines rot after the first freeze?

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck