Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
Have lots of pictures with lots of questions...
    #6088285 - 09/21/06 10:50 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

First off, regarding one of my casings : it's been in the FC for about 5 days now, here are a couple pics..

My question is this.. it's sitting in a big tub with a hole cut in the lid and plastic wrap ductaped down so it has a hole for light. It's sitting on soaked perlite, no standing water. RH seems to be fine. I have been fanning it every day but just started misting it a little yesterday because it felt dry. How often should I mist it? I fan at least 4 times a day. How long until I can expect pins? I'm not over anxious at all, I am just curious as to how long it normally takes. I know they're coming, and can't wait!! :smile: -- Also, once the pins show I should slow down on misting for a few days but resume it after 3-4 days, is that right?

Now a question about one of my cakes.. here are some pics;

Also, I included the higher quality picture in a link - it's huge, over 2 megs so those on slower connections it might take a minute to see but it better shows what I'm talking about :

http://webpages.charter.net/cultivation/mushrooms%20012.jpg

On the stems there's brown stripelike marks and then there's a little bit that looks kind of bluish/green.. is that normal? I'm not too worried, no odd smells or anything but just figured I'd ask.

On a side note, here's a casing I made out of straight verm with 3 spent cakes.. over 30 pins I counted so far. This one feels moist so I haven't been misting it but am airing it out plenty:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinemushnoon
MushNoob
Male User Gallery
Re: Have lots of pictures with lots of questions... [Re: Velocity92C]
    #6088328 - 09/21/06 10:58 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

it all looks good. id expect pins from the first casing in just a few days

--------------------
I love the feeling when it falls apart. Im slow to finish but im quick to start.

InvisibleAtheist
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Have lots of pictures with lots of questions... [Re: mushnoon]
    #6088337 - 09/21/06 11:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

yeah the pins will come

make sure your RH isnt too high with that perlite under the casing, it might be overkill not sure tho

OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
Re: Have lots of pictures with lots of questions... [Re: Atheist]
    #6088447 - 09/21/06 11:31 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Do the cake mushrooms look OK? Did you see the greenish growth on it? Just making sure it was going to be edible.

Also, should the RH for a casing be lower than for cakes? Should I quit misting it? I thought you were supposed to put it in a FC with perlite same as cakes.. how SHOULD I be doing this?

OfflineVelocity92C
Stranger
    #6088969 - 09/22/06 01:45 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Also, should I still be misting the top casing?

Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
    #6089001 - 09/22/06 01:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

are you talking about the bluish/green on that stem? It looks fine. just a little bruising.

The brown tint and streaking can be caused from too much moisture. Nothing harmful to health though.

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Have lots of pictures with lots of questions... [Re: mycoguy]
    #6089487 - 09/22/06 09:16 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

i think i see knots on that first case... and if the white bumps im seeing in the picture really are knots you're gonna have a hell of a pinset... (and you'll see them turn to pins within the next 48h)  my miracle gro casings pin right on schedule on day 6-7 so its right on track. either way it evened out quite nice and looks beautiful :smile:  i'd back off on the misting for now and let it do its thing, once you can start to see caps forming on the pins you can resume misting to keep moisture levels up.  with a lot of pins you can mist as many as 3-4 times a day, just be light with it, all those mushrooms are gonna suck up every bit you give it but you dont want to soak it (its ok to get the fruitbodies a little wet once they're there... trick is to mist first, then fan after to evap a little)

the RH is gonna be fine, i regularly grow casings in near 100% RH via perlite and they come out just fine :thumbup:

the coloration on the cake and mushroom is a little bit of bruising... happens naturally towards the end of a flush on a cake, especially when the cake has pushed out some big ones... it also looks good though.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles, CBD Oils   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation