Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs
    #6087093 - 09/21/06 03:21 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/5369198.stm

Quote:

The United States threatened to bomb Pakistan "back to the stone age" unless it joined the fight against al-Qaeda, President Pervez Musharraf says.

General Musharraf said the warning was delivered by former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage to Pakistan's intelligence director.

"I think it was a very rude remark," Mr Musharraf told CBS television.

Pakistan agreed to side with the US, but Gen Musharraf said it did so based on his country's national interest.

"One has to think and take actions in the interest of the nation, and that's what I did," he said.

'Ludicrous' requests

The extracts from the CBS show 60 Minutes, which will run on Sunday, were released on the same day that the White House praised Pakistan for its co-operation in America's "war on terror".

Gen Musharraf is due to meet US President George W Bush at the White House on Friday.

Protest in Islamabad
The US allegedly ordered Pakistan to crush dissent

The Pakistani president said that, following the attacks of 11 September 2001, the US made some "ludicrous" demands of Pakistan.

"The intelligence director told me that Mr Armitage said, 'Be prepared to be bombed. Be prepared to go back to the Stone Age'," he said.

The US envoy also insisted that Pakistan suppress domestic expression of support for attacks on the United States, he said.

"If somebody's expressing views, we cannot curb the expression of views," Gen Musharraf said.

Mr Armitage also allegedly demanded that Pakistan allow the US to use its border posts as staging points for the war on Afghanistan.

Pakistan's support was considered crucial in the defeat of Afghanistan's Taleban government, which Pakistan had helped to bring to power.

President Musharraf has proved a loyal ally though many now will question the means used to extract the co-operation, says the BBC's US state department correspondent Jonathan Beale.

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: Lion]
    #6087301 - 09/21/06 04:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The pawns are set in place, guarding each other.

The knights are ready to invade.

The bishops are aiming at the target.

The Rooks are positioned to strike.

The Queen is dead.

And the King has gone mad.

--------------------

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6088388 - 09/21/06 09:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Stalemate

--------------------
:orly:

OfflineRedstorm
Prince of Bugs
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6088764 - 09/21/06 10:59 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see any reason to believe Musharraf's word.

OfflineLion
Decadent Flower Magnate
Male User Gallery

Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: Redstorm]
    #6089522 - 09/22/06 08:01 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Redstorm said:
I don't see any reason to believe Musharraf's word.

because he has absolutely nothing to gain by lying?  :confused:

--------------------
“Strengthened by contemplation and study,
I will not fear my passions like a coward.
My body I will give to pleasures,
to diversions that I’ve dreamed of,
to the most daring erotic desires,
to the lustful impulses of my blood, without
any fear at all, for whenever I will—
and I will have the will, strengthened
as I’ll be with contemplation and study—
at the crucial moments I’ll recover
my spirit as was before: ascetic.”

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6089887 - 09/22/06 11:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I could picture Armitage in an SS uniform for sure.

I think that'd be a good look for him.

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6090125 - 09/22/06 12:32 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

bug said:

He took A LOT of domestic flak for supporting the US, especially when the Pakistani army and the Tribal groups began to exchange fire.  A very easy way to deflect the negative pressure would be to blame his actions on the US, especially since the tribal peoples and their supporters tend to already hate the US and blame all their problems on the US anyway.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: Economist]
    #6090181 - 09/22/06 12:56 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

He took A LOT of domestic flak for supporting the US..

So why didn't he reveal this domestically?

Do they not have newspapers in Pakistan?

Instead he made this statement on 60 minutes- a taped US tv show.

And why did his statement come out just prior to his meeting in Washington if his purpose was to "deflect negative domestic pressure"?

--------------------
“The crisis takes a much longer time coming than you think, and then it happens much faster than you would have thought.”  -- Rudiger Dornbusch

Offlinelonestar2004
Live to party,work to affordit.
 User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6090234 - 09/22/06 01:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
America's debt problem is a "sign of leadership failure"

We have "reckless fiscal policies"

America has a debt problem and a failure of leadership.

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

OfflineWhiteRabbitt
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6090313 - 09/22/06 01:45 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Why is it that people dismiss anything that US officials say as "propaganda" or "lies", but take everything that foreign officials say as gospel?

--------------------
You gotta jump and swing up to hit me in the knees.

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6090454 - 09/22/06 02:29 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Armitage has admitted being the source who outed Valerie Plame in the CIA leak investigation so this type of behavior seems to be in keeping with his record of intimidation.

So personally I find Musharraf's claim very easy to believe.

--------------------

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: zorbman]
    #6090535 - 09/22/06 02:48 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I just don't know what to think.

On the one hand, I still believe that part of the reason was to try and deflect negative pressure from home. Let's be honest, 60 minutes was a better place to do that than a Pakistani paper. When something is reported by US News Media, the rest of the world tends to listn more than they do when it's reported by media that is known to support Islamic extremist views (which pretty much describes all Pakistani newspapers). Of course, it's still a little odd that we've never heard of this before, especially back in 2004, when he was really under pressure.

But then, that brings us to the book deal. Specifically this excerpt from CNN:

"Musharraf was asked Friday about the CBS report, but he said he couldn't talk about it because of a legal agreement with his publisher before the release of his new memoir next week. "I am honor bound to Simon & Schuster not to comment on the book" before it's published, he said." (available here: http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/09/22/bush.musharraf/index.html )

So, he makes an outrageous claim that we've never heard before, on the eve of releasing a book in the US, then says "I can't talk about it, buy my book,"

And we haven't gotten wind of this before, even when he was in real hot water back in 2004 and needed to cut a deal with the tribal peoples, and he REALLY could have used a scapegoat...

I can't prove it's untrue, and it certainly wouldn't be out of character for those involved, but something fishy is definitely going on...

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

#6090566 - 09/22/06 02:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

This is old news.

This is what he should have said....

United States threatened to bomb his country if it did not cooperate with America's war campaign against the Taliban in Afghanistan.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Offlinelonestar2004
 User Gallery

Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: lonestar2004]
    #6090581 - 09/22/06 02:58 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

We were going to attck Afghanistan no matter what.

Pakistan could either help us, or, we would not be responsible for US coalition attacks on Pakistani soil in pursuit of the murderous bastards. If Pakistan took up arms, then we would bomb the shit out of them.

--------------------

Americans deserve better

Barack Obama

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6090648 - 09/22/06 03:13 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

So, he makes an outrageous claim that we've never heard before, on the eve of releasing a book in the US, then says "I can't talk about it, buy my book,

If Armitage's threat was made, and I have every reason to believe it was given his history, then Musharraf's behavior in relation to the book is very understandable. It is standard practice in the publishing industry to tease and withhold the juicier bits for those who buy the book. It's smart marketing and was likely a condition Musharraf had to agree to in order to get the book published. 

Personally, if a bully like Armitage made that kind of threat to me, I would find a way to extract a pound of flesh from that person. I might say to myself, "Screw him. One day I'm going to write a book about this. I'm going to expose this cretin and make a ton of money in the process."

Good for Pervy I say.  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #6090915 - 09/22/06 04:32 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Economist said:
Quote:

bug said:

He took A LOT of domestic flak for supporting the US, especially when the Pakistani army and the Tribal groups began to exchange fire.  A very easy way to deflect the negative pressure would be to blame his actions on the US, especially since the tribal peoples and their supporters tend to already hate the US and blame all their problems on the US anyway.

The man with the defense department who had the conversation with Musaraf, was just being interviewed on Tucker clarifying what was said.

He said, he told Mus that Pakistan was either with the U.S or against it, and that the war on terror is a balack and white issue with the american people.

That clearly is just the same as saying, "You either co-operate with us and do what we tell you to, or become our enemy in the war on terror."

Sounds pretty thuggish to me.

I feel bad for the guy in one respect. He's got his people who hate the U.S in his face to the right and the U.S in his face hating those people to the left. I would so hop on a plane to Fiji and let them all duke it out with each other, if I were him about now.

The U.S gave him no reasonable choice-

Be our bitch or be our enemy. :evil:

And reality check. All Americans are not behind what he said to Musaraf and see it as a black and white issue.

Even if any of you are behind what the U.S. said and see it as black and white, you at least know, not all Americans are or do see it that way. Saying that to  Musaraf only served to mislead and intimidate him further about where Americans stand as a whole.

:peace: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6091416 - 09/22/06 07:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
Armitage has admitted being the source who outed Valerie Plame in the CIA leak investigation so this type of behavior seems to be in keeping with his record of intimidation.

So personally I find Musharraf's claim very easy to believe.

There seem to be some misconceptions associated with Mr. Armitage.

He is a career State Department official and has served under several administrations.
The State Department is no fan of our beloved Cowboy-in-Chief
Armitage could have outed himself long ago over this but kept his mouth shut. Why? Two reasons.
1. It fueled damaging speculation that an administration official did it vindictively, thus damaging the administration
2. Fitzgerald, who knew who it was from day one, couldn't continue his fishing expedition.

If I was Bush, I would have demanded his resignation, as promised. Since the dumb cunt was not an undercover agent at the time of the revelation, there was no crime in revealing her identity. Nonetheless, the only assault here was on the Bush administration and the State Department is supposed to be subserviant to the dictates of the administration. Thus, he should be cashiered with extreme ignominy for not 'fessing up in public right away.

Armitage is a swine and Musharaf is in constant peril of assassination by America haters and others. It is no surprise that he wants to make some cover for supporting our efforts with his own benighted population.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

Re: More proof that our gov't. is run by thugs [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6092353 - 09/23/06 01:30 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

He [Armitage] is a career State Department official

Armitage served his entire career in the State Department?

Funny..I also seem to remember him serving in the Defense department and the Navy prior to that.

Am I mistaken?

Wasn't this creep, the Valerie Plame exposer, also involved with the Project for the New American Century (PNAC)- the most prominant neocon organization?

Are neocons generally considered "fans" of President Bush?

--------------------

Edited by zorbman (09/23/06 03:13 AM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #6093524 - 09/23/06 03:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

zorbman said:
Quote:

He [Armitage] is a career State Department official

Armitage served his entire career in the State Department?

I didn't say that nor does "career official" mean that. It just means that he has been there through more than one administration
Quote:

Funny..I also seem to remember him serving in the Defense department and the Navy prior to that.

Yeah, and the previous secretary of state was a general and chairman of the joint chiefs of staff. If you have a point make it
Quote:

Am I mistaken?

About many things but I still don't see your point
Quote:

Wasn't this creep, the Valerie Plame exposer, also involved with the Project for the New American Century (PNAC)- the most prominant neocon organization?

Yes. You do know that there was nothing to expose about Valerie Plame don't you? Except maybe her pert and perky breasts. She was a drive in desk jockey at Langley. No secret there. That's why Fitzgerald didn't bring any charges. You do know that, don't you? I think he's a fucking creep for not admitting he told Novak years ago, and wasting millions of dollars and time on a fucking witch hunt that had no witches. Pretty creepy indeed.
Quote:

Are neocons generally considered "fans" of President Bush?

Surprisingly, they are generally not convinced that Bush is anywhere near neocon enough. Nor am I.

--------------------

Invisiblezorbman
blarrr
Male

#6094105 - 09/23/06 07:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Okay. So we have established that Armitage is a long-time Republican functionary and a neocon with a history of intimidation.

Now that we know a little more about this man people can judge for themselves whether reports by President Musharraf that he made a bullying threat against Pakistan are believable.

Personally, I think he looks like a pussycat.  :grin:

--------------------

Edited by zorbman (09/24/06 02:34 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order