Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
Bacterial contams - agar
    #6081306 - 09/20/06 05:50 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I am getting a lot of bacterial contams in my agar lately and I am trying to find the source.

my PC time was 1 hour at 7.5 psi
glovebox is sanitized by spraying 70% alcohol
agar is poured and inoculated in a still air glovebox

I inoculated 7 plates and left three blank. All inoculated plates grew bacteria. Blank plates also grew bacteria but the colonies developed 10 days later.

I am sure that the inoculum is contaminated because of the difference between inoculated and blank plates. There must also be another source. What should be the first step to change (PC pressure and duration, glovebox sanitation, other)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Bacterial contams - agar [Re: Owl]
    #6081510 - 09/20/06 08:49 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It might be perfectly normal. We use agar to transfer the healthy mycelium away from the naturally occuring contaminants. As the agar cools after pouring into petri dishes, it shrinks, drawing in contaminants from the air, which is full of bacteria and mold spores.

It's important to wrap your petri dishes with parafilm as soon as they solidify after pouring.

When you see contamination developing in a petri dish, immediately transfer any good mycelium away from the contaminated dish into a fresh one.

It will help to use a filtered flask for PC'ing your agar to avoid contaminants being drawn into the flask as it cools. Allow the agar to cool until it's nearly solidified before pouring. This will cut down on the temperature differential between inside and outside the petri dishes, reducing the amount of contaminants drawn in as the dishes finish cooling.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineOwl
Stranger
Loc: Netherlands
Re: Bacterial contams - agar [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6085543 - 09/21/06 04:51 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you for the tips. Yesterday I noticed that the potato broth (I use PDYA recipe) was extremely small for one litre. I probably forgot to turn down the heat when boiling the potato's, making the broth too concentrated and ending up with a media that favors bacteria instead of fungi.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Bacterial contams - agar [Re: Owl] * 1
    #6086826 - 09/21/06 02:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You still need to wrap the petri dishes with a breathable filter tape of some kind, even if left in a glovebox. Petri dishes don't seal by themselves so will definitely contaminate if not wrapped. I use Parafilm.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale