Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube
    #6077172 - 09/19/06 08:26 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060918/ap_on_go_ot/youtube_drug_policy
Quote:

WASHINGTON - The Bush administration is taking its fight against illegal drugs to YouTube, the trendy Internet video service that already features clips of wacky, drug-induced behavior and step-by-step instructions for growing marijuana plants.

The decision to distribute anti-drug, public service announcements and other videos over YouTube represents the first concerted effort by the U.S. government to influence customers of the popular service, which shows more than 100 million videos per day.

The administration was expected to announce the decision formally on Tuesday. It said it was not paying any money to load its previously produced videos onto YouTube's service, so the program is effectively free.

"If just one teen sees this and decides illegal drug use is not the path for them, it will be a success," said Rafael Lemaitre, a spokesman for the drug office.

The government's YouTube videos include a previously televised, 30-second ad of a teenager running from a snarling dog and bemoaning pressure from his friends to smoke marijuana.

"Then today, they said I should try to out run Tic Tic, the lumber-yard dog," the teen says. "And I don't think I can. I'm an idiot."

YouTube, a San Mateo, Calif.-based startup, has become one of the Internet's hottest properties since two 20-something friends started the company 19 months ago. The free service allows users to share and view videos, most of which are amateurishly produced and include clips of young people singing and dancing — usually badly.

The government's short public service announcements — all of which were produced previously for television — are highly polished. They will compete for viewership against hundreds of existing, drug-related videos that include shaky footage of college-age kids smoking marijuana and girls dancing wildly after purportedly using cocaine. Other YouTube videos describe how to grow marijuana and how to cook with it.

"Welcome to the great experiment," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Internet & American Life Project. He predicted computer-savvy critics of U.S. drug policies will quickly edit the government's videos to produce parodies and distribute those on YouTube. "This seems pretty new and pretty adventurous."

The government linked its videos with the terms "war on drugs," "peer-pressure," "marijuana," "weed," "ONDCP" and "420," so anyone searching for those words on YouTube could find its anti-drug messages. All the videos were associated with a YouTube account named "ONDCPstaff" and identified as an 18-year-old living in Washington. The term 420 is a popular reference for marijuana.

Michael Bugeja, who studies how different groups use the Internet, said the White House plan is misdirected because online video services don't afford serious consideration to weighty topics.

"It's the wrong forum and the wrong target," said Bugeja, an author and director of the journalism school at Iowa State University.

___

On the Net:

U.S. anti-drug videos: http://www.YouTube.com/ONDCP

That's it. Let's all give up doing drugs. It's hopeless to continue. They even tagged it with "420", they know all our secret codes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: koppie]
    #6077340 - 09/19/06 09:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Haha... I just read the claim that 700,000 less young people use today than 2001... I wonder who they think they're fooling?

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6077351 - 09/19/06 09:42 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

(from link)
"You quickly learn that that there are two ways to go, under the influence... or above the influence. I am above the influence"

Sounds like you're under the influence of a commercial to me... buy their message, sell your freedom...

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineSchwip
Never sleeps.
 User Gallery

#6077374 - 09/19/06 09:49 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

under the influence of dope and above the influence of stupid ad campaigns!!!

hooray for dope!

--------------------
--------------------------------

" If the sky were to suddenly open up there would be no law. There would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories... the choices you've made, and the people you've touched. If this world were to end there would only be you and him and no-one else. "

"MAN! You know there aint no such thing as left over crack!"

OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: Schwip]
    #6077866 - 09/19/06 12:05 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I was going to post a comment... But I am afraid they will look at my videos I posted of myself

"Over the past four years, there has been a 20 percent reduction in the number of young people using drugs. This translates into 700,000 fewer young people using drugs today than in 2001"

Which means that 2,800,000 kids use drugs.. Everyone fucking run for your lives. And wait a second... that makes around 800,000 that dont use drugs now? But I guess "not doing drugs" is the cool thing right
ONDCP  :thumbup:

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
-                  -                -
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

Invisiblerestless2
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: koppie]
    #6077966 - 09/19/06 12:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

probably some of the funniest videos on you tube.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: restless2]
    #6077985 - 09/19/06 12:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

> this translates into 700,000 fewer young people using drugs today than in 2001"

Oddly enough, the prison population for non-violent drug offences has increased to aproximately 750,000 today, up from 35,000 in 1998. (numbers are aproximate, but close to correct)

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: Seuss]
    #6078079 - 09/19/06 01:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Now that they have put high quality anti-drug commercials up on youtube, i want to see high quality anti-anti-drug commercials posted on youtube.

Surely someone could make one of those commercials funny.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: Nephlyte]
    #6078261 - 09/19/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Surely someone could make one of those commercials funny.

they make them funny enough as it is.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6078296 - 09/19/06 02:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, we should all get together and make a bunch of anti-war-on-drugs videos :-D

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: 76degrees]
    #6078580 - 09/19/06 03:40 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

hey, they have anti-anti-drug commercials on you tube? that's sweet!

we need to flood you tube with videos of as much pot and crack and LSD and other shit as we can find. show them we won't give up!

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6078625 - 09/19/06 03:49 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ApJunkie said:
hey, they have anti-anti-drug commercials on you tube? that's sweet!

we need to flood you tube with videos of as much pot and crack and LSD and other shit as we can find. show them we won't give up!

I was just thinking of posting the same thing. lets skip the crack, and focus on Shrooms, Weed, and LSD!!! come on people you got video cameras and need a project this is the project lets do it. im starting on mine when I get home from work tonight.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: downlowfunk]
    #6078643 - 09/19/06 03:53 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

well, people can focus their videos on whatever they want, but you're right, I have no intreset in opiates or other uppers, but I'm definitley going to make one of these!

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

--- [Re: koppie]
    #6078801 - 09/19/06 04:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (11/27/14 05:57 PM)

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #6078884 - 09/19/06 05:09 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I can't stand your guys attitudes! Don't you realize these videos are here to help us? Clearly we have all be brain washed by peer pressure into using DRUGS! We can't even think for ourselves any more.

From now on I'm gonna start THINKING for MYSELF and do EXACTLY what I see on TV and the net!

I'm saying goodbye to seeking spiritual enlightenment and HELLO TO JACKASS 2!!!

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Scholar
Male

--- [Re: musher_420]
    #6079441 - 09/19/06 07:03 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (11/27/14 05:57 PM)

Scholar
Male

--- [Re: koppie]
    #6079528 - 09/19/06 07:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (11/27/14 05:58 PM)

OfflineSunshineDaydreem
Midnight Toker

#6079653 - 09/19/06 07:38 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ExplosiveMango said:
Haha... I just read the claim that 700,000 less young people use today than 2001... I wonder who they think they're fooling?

Sadly, they are fooling most people.

--------------------
Sunshine daydream
Walk you the tall trees
Going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose
Breathing more freely
Light out singing
I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine daydream
Walk you in the sunshine

OfflineBlindLemon
waves
Male

Loc: so cal
Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: SunshineDaydreem]
    #6079828 - 09/19/06 08:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Sweet, more good shit to laff at while stoned. I love when those anti drug commercials come on, there always historical!

--------------------

Im a fucking spiral..

OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Re: U.S. uploads anti-drug videos to YouTube [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #6079973 - 09/19/06 08:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

EntheogenicPeace said:
[They will compete for viewership against hundreds of existing, drug-related videos that include shaky footage of college-age kids smoking marijuana and girls dancing wildly after purportedly using cocaine.]

Hmm... girls on cocaine dancing, or the government ads? I think young males will be more influenced by the government commercials and stay away from drugs, lol.

[The term 420 is a popular reference for marijuana.]

lol, this reminds me of a story in a newpaper I read about a college-age kid who went undercover and posed as a "drug user" to make busts (on a serious note, fuck this narc). Anyway, one of the lines read something like, "he (the narc) had to learn the street gang terms of the drug trade. For instance, a "QP" is a quarter-pound." Needless to say, that was fucking hilarious.

Actually, here it is:

http://www.drugsense.org/dpfwi/undercover_cop.htm

From the article

[He gave himself the nickname of "Ace."]

Ooh... impressive. He'd sure fool me.

[It takes a special individual to be an undercover agent, he said. An undercover officer has to be confident and aware, but not worried, he said.]

Special? ... I have a few other words more fitting for a narc, but I don't think I need to say any of them for anyone here to know what I'm talking about.

["I don't really feel that bad, honestly. I look at it like, 'Don't do the crime if you can't do the time,'" he said.]

Well then, I look at it like "don't be a narc unless you plan on getting stabbed or shot."

[Ultimately, Thomas said he would like to work for the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. He anticipates working undercover again, but not in Wisconsin Dells.]

Great idea; especially with this article in cyberspace.

Fuck that happened in wisconsin....

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale