Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Arrests follow marijuana cookie party
    #6040628 - 09/08/06 07:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060907/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_berkeley_marijuana_1

Thu Sep 7, 7:50 PM ET

Three people including two students at the University of California, Berkeley, were arrested on Thursday on suspicion of making and serving marijuana-laced cookies that sickened at least a dozen students.

University police said a student who felt anxious and ill after eating the cookies told them the treats were served on Wednesday at a student-run housing cooperative near the campus.

About 15 other students at the cooperative reported similar symptoms, and a dozen of them were sent to local hospitals. They were released on Thursday morning.

Carmen Anderson, 21, a student, and Christopher Portka, 23, face a variety of drug charges including possession of more than one ounce of marijuana.

Michael Tobias, 24, the other student, was arrested on suspicion of furnishing marijuana and possessing marijuana for sale.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: motaman]
    #6040636 - 09/08/06 07:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_4305411?source=rss

Two UC Berkeley students, graduate arrested in pot-laced cookies incident
By Michelle Maitre, STAFF WRITER

Two University of California, Berkeley students and a recent graduate were arrested on felony drug charges Thursday in connection with a pot-laced cookie incident that sent a dozen students to the hospital.

About 16 people got ill after eating the cookies at a dinner Wednesday night at Cloyne Court, a housing cooperative run by students. Firefighters responded to the house at 2600 Ridge Road about 8 p.m. after a student called and said she was feeling anxious. Officials found residents suffering from anxiety, numbness to hands and feet, minor hallucinations and shortness of breath.

Four people were treated at the scene and a dozen others were taken to the hospital as a precaution. Each was treated and released and have recovered, said UC Berkeley Police Assistant Chief Mitch Celaya.

After interviews with students, campus police executed a search warrant Thursday and arrested three people believed to have been involved in the preparation and distribution of the cookies, a campus news release said.

Arrested were Michael Tobias, 24, on suspicion of furnishing marijuana and possession of marijuana for sale; Carmen Anderson, 21, on suspicion of possessing more than an ounce of marijuana and possessing hallucinogenic mushrooms; and ChristopherPortka, 23, of Oakland, also on suspicion of possessing marijuana and mushrooms. Each was booked into Berkeley City Jail.

Tobias and Anderson are UC Berkeley students, and Portka, who is Anderson's boyfriend, graduated in December, a campus spokeswoman said. Tobias and Anderson also may face code of conduct charges for violating the campus policies. Only Anderson is believed to live at Cloyne Court.

The house, with 149 residents, is the largest of 20 housing cooperatives ringing the campus that are independently run by the University Students' Cooperative Association.

The co-op group is launching its own investigation, a spokeswoman said. Illegal activities are strictly forbidden by the contract each resident signs, she said, and an ongoing education campaign informs residents of the effects of drug use and offers resources for assistance.

"We are concerned and disturbed by the incident," said communications coordinator Jennifer Heller. "As an organization, we do not condone any drug-related activities."

Celaya said it appears the cookies were laced only with marijuana, although some cookies have been sent to a lab for further analysis.

"It's rather a rare occurrence to have a situation where we have 16 individuals become ill because of ingesting a controlled substance," he said.

Celaya said Cloyne Court had a reputation for rowdy parties, but campus police have responded to few incidents there since taking over law enforcement responsibilities from city police in January.

Over the weekend, he said, a drunken young resident broke her ankle when she fell from the second story while trying to climb into her room from the outside.

"A lot of it is folklore and reputation, but that's not to say we haven't had problems there," Celaya said.

Co-ops also have have some problems. Last year, the cooperative association closed one house, Le Chateau, renamed it the Hillegas-Parker House, and reopened it with a new group of tenants after neighbors won a small-claims lawsuit that they had been subjected to years of noise, litter and unruly behavior from Le Chateau residents. The co-op also agreed to pay neighbors $32,000.

The co-op association said they were working hard to make peace with their neighbors and that the incidents at Le Chateau were not representative of the students who share co-op housing.

--------------------

OfflineExplosiveMango
HallucinogenusDigitallus
Male User Gallery

#6040774 - 09/08/06 09:12 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It takes a real idiot to give straight edges pot against their knowledge...

Punishment for marijuana possession- undeserved.
Punishment for drugging unknowing individuals- deserved.

--------------------
Know your self.
Know your substance.
Know your source.

The most distorted perspective possible is the perspective that yours is not distorted.

OfflineGSxx83
He, Himself
Male

Loc: EARTH
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: ExplosiveMango]
    #6040876 - 09/08/06 10:34 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

How did people get sick off the cookies?

Some were hospitalized? wtf?

Offlinedjaxx06
Stranger
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: GSxx83]
    #6040970 - 09/08/06 11:11 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I agree with GSxx83...however I don't think "sick" is the proper word to use in this article. It's just more propaganda from the media about MJ. Obviously, they had ingested some pretty dank cookies and the effects cam be startling for 2 reasons.

1) Most of the student's who went to the hospital probably had never tried the drug before and were unaware of what was happening to their bodies.

2) The effects came about with no apparent reason, and the effect of the anxiety from the MJ only increased their fears.

What a dumb move by those students.

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: djaxx06]
    #6041676 - 09/08/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I would check that ingredient list. I doubt marijuana would make anyone feel "sick". Maybe hungry... or giddy... or sleepy. I've only met one person who became ill from MJ. And pretty much everyone I know has smoked at least once in their lifetime... by high school, lol.

I swear, these journalist should be drawn and quartered for writing misleading articles. That would put an end to some of the misinformation being touted as gospel. Unfortunately it is not a crime to be a yellow journalist or an idiot.

But I agree selling laced cookies to unknowing students must be the dumbest idea ever and they deserve their legal troubles. You'd think Berkley students would have a little more sense than that. Just goes to show book smarts doesn't = common sense.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

OfflineSunshineDaydreem
Midnight Toker

#6041961 - 09/08/06 05:29 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

motaman said:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060907/od_uk_nm/oukoe_uk_life_berkeley_marijuana_1

Thu Sep 7, 7:50 PM ET

Three people including two students at the University of California, Berkeley, were arrested on Thursday on suspicion of making and serving marijuana-laced cookies that sickened at least a dozen students.

University police said a student who felt anxious and ill after eating the cookies told them the treats were served on Wednesday at a student-run housing cooperative near the campus.

About 15 other students at the cooperative reported similar symptoms, and a dozen of them were sent to local hospitals. They were released on Thursday morning.

Carmen Anderson, 21, a student, and Christopher Portka, 23, face a variety of drug charges including possession of more than one ounce of marijuana.

Michael Tobias, 24, the other student, was arrested on suspicion of furnishing marijuana and possessing marijuana for sale.

Ungrateful bastards  :crazy:

--------------------
Sunshine daydream
Walk you the tall trees
Going where the wind goes
Blooming like a red rose
Breathing more freely
Light out singing
I'll walk you in the morning sunshine
Sunshine daydream
Walk you in the sunshine

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: SunshineDaydreem]
    #6042339 - 09/08/06 07:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Them's some strong ass cookies! Nah,they prolly just goofed and made it with a bunch of shitty schwag :puke:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

OfflineEdgekrusher
God
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: SDP]
    #6042802 - 09/08/06 11:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can deffinitely get "sick" from extremely dank MJ edibles. I say this, and I assure you I'm no lightweight on the matter. I've seen many potheads puke, get bad head spins, or experience abnormal anxiety from good edibles and I've had a few times where I've been right there with them......

InvisibleBaldCuban
scruffy-looking
 User Gallery

Loc: here, there, everywhere
Re: Arrests follow marijuana cookie party [Re: Edgekrusher]
    #6048413 - 09/10/06 10:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Edgekrusher said:
You can deffinitely get "sick" from extremely dank MJ edibles. I say this, and I assure you I'm no lightweight on the matter. I've seen many potheads puke, get bad head spins, or experience abnormal anxiety from good edibles and I've had a few times where I've been right there with them......

Completely true. Anyone who has any real experience with taking or making ganja food knows what too much will do to a person. Especially when it is unexpected. I have countless stories of ganja cookie mishaps. When eaten in enough quantity, marijuana can be quite a powerful substance making for a very humbling experience, to say the least. It will make you sick for an extended period of time and feels like being poisoned while tripping face.

I also completely agree with mango. Administering drugs to others without their knowledge or consent is extremely irresponsible and criminal. Not to mention, cruel. It is people like that who give the good weed a bad name. I sincerely hope they learn their lesson about respecting substances and their fellow man.

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Death Investigated At Pot Brownie Co-op [Re: motaman]
    #6070064 - 09/17/06 07:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=local&id=4569262

Death Investigated At Pot Brownie Co-op
KGO NEWS

Sep. 16 - KGO - UC Berkeley police are investigating the death of a man, whose body was found at the same student co-op where a dozen people got sick from eating pot-laced cookies last week.
UC police received a call for medical aid at around six last night. Police say the victim is a UC Berkeley graduate who was visiting a friend who lived at Cloyne Court co-op.

They say there are no signs of foul play. An autopsy is scheduled for Monday to determine his cause of death. Just last week, a dozen people were taken from the co-op to the hospital after eating cookies with pot. The next day, two Berkeley students and one recent graduate were arrested on felony drug charges, including possession of marijuana and hallucinogenic mushrooms.

--------------------

Offlinedoxhevex
If it fits inyour mouth, it'sEDIBLE
Male

Loc: Pennsylvania...unfortunat...
Re: Death Investigated At Pot Brownie Co-op [Re: motaman]
    #6070447 - 09/17/06 11:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

whoa. they died??????????????????????

--------------------

Offlineimpgl
CrimethINCspecial agent
 User Gallery
Loc: california!
Re: Death Investigated At Pot Brownie Co-op [Re: doxhevex]
    #6073874 - 09/18/06 12:23 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

dude, there was about a pound of trim in about 100 cookies. they were labled..... they didnt sell shit, it was free. and now since this really cool guy just died, the USCA (the people who run the student co ops in berkeley) are getting really fucked, and it seems like people are getting kicked out left and right. the guy who died had nothing to do with the bud food. RIP

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures