Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Loc: Solar Circuit
a person on the sidewalk..
    #6066691 - 09/15/06 11:43 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

hello,

for those of you who remember my earlier post  a letter on the sidewalk..., and for those who haven’t read it, I would like to share another organically grown idea. Here is what it looks like:

I am one individual human being. So are you, and so is everyone else. We live in groups of individuals, family, friends, and colleagues, there’s many types. Interconnect these groups and you form a community, a group of groups. Take several communities and combine them into a whole and they will collectively become what we call a society.

What essentially separates us from another are our bodies. This is basic. The boundary between my self and the world is my skin. As a human being I claim the basic right to interiority, and the freedom to manage my fundamental being. This right is not given to me by you, him, her, or my government. I declare it to myself, since I can only declare it to my self, nobody else can sanctify my body, and neither can I sanctify yours. The vehicle of your soul is yours truly.

New York City, a community of eight million individuals like you and me. I enter New York City. I take the subway straight to Manhattan, what’s the most populated sector, I will check the map, and I will eventually be standing on the sidewalk, surrounded by people, like you and me. They pass me by, I notice them, they don’t notice me, everyone is going their own path, to see him or her, do this or that, be here or there. The sidewalk is predictable. It only has one purpose, to provide a walking ground for consumer units. That is why you will only see people walk on it, enter buildings, exit buildings, call for taxis, enter cars, exit cars. The sidewalk is a public place, it is not private property, it is public, made for the populus.

So here I am standing again, in the middle of the sidewalk. I choose to sit down, and so I do.

And here I will sit, because I do not need to walk. I feel a need to sit down. People will pass me by, and even walk around me. I will be noticed, I will be questioned. Why is he sitting down? What is his purpose? Why? Why?

Why not?

This is me doing something unpredictable, something that will cause a person to rethink his belief system, because originally noone would ever expect to think of sitting down on the sidewalk. What an idea. What a stupid idea. What’s the point?

There is no point. You see, that is the whole point. The point is that there doesn’t have to be a point. Life goes on without points, definitions, norms, expectations, and preprogrammed realities. There is no goal. I sit for the sole reason of sitting. I sit and simply act upon the freedom to do what I wish with my own nervous system. Who’s going to stop me?

“Excuse me Sir, why are you sitting here?” asks an authority figure. Of course, I will be spotted. Big Brother will always spot the unpredictable and will always attempt to correct its uncertainty. I am an uncertainty. Who knows what the sitting person might do. He might just inspire a second person to sit down next to him, two people might inspire four people to join the sitting, and then maybe sixteen. Imagine what could happen if everyone just sat down.

Such a simple act, such a profound effect.

Sit and protest with silence. Show the world the power of the one, the individual, make an example of how one person has the possibility to change the world.

Remember what effect the Montgomery Bus Boycott had, remember what started the whole civil rights movement fifty years ago. Such a simple act, changing the whole of society.

Let’s do it again.

:heart:  :peace:  :mushroom2:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSilentG
Stranger thanfiction

Re: a person on the sidewalk.. [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #6066747 - 09/16/06 12:19 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think Adbusters was pushing people to sit on the sidewalk a few years ago. Some cool pics of people looking totally out of place sitting on the side-walk and such.

Don't forget that the majority of people in the civil rights movement were routinely beaten and messed with. I wouldn't expect your average person to take too kindly to someone who's simply impeding his way to work. To that person you're not a visionary, free-thinker but a weird pain in the ass.

I do like the comparison between the Civil Rights Movement and drug-related privacy rights. I see the analogy, but the problem is that the civil rights movement was initially about making very practical changes which benefited blacks. There's no obvious, tangible benefit for drug users in allowing free use which could be observed and valued by non-drug users. Basically, it was a lot easier for the Civil Rights Movement to garner non-black support, and it's a lot harder for the drug-law-reformers to get support from non-users.

--------------------
Yes, I could go drive somewhere everytime the urge to defecate hits, but...where's the fun in that.
-Moth

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight evil with funk
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere North of Normal
Re: a person on the sidewalk.. [Re: SilentG]
    #6066773 - 09/16/06 12:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

There's no obvious, tangible benefit for drug users in allowing free use which could be observed and valued by non-drug users.

Well... there was no benefit to giving black people their civil rights that was valuble to white people. Unless you count good karma but J. Random Average probably wouldn't :frown:

But your point still stands - the majority of people who don't dig drugs don't see any reason to legalize them. Most are brainwashed into believing that drugs are horrible, evil things that will ruin your life while anally raping your mother and pouring sugar in your gas tank. :/

--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: a person on the sidewalk.. [Re: SilentG]
    #6066778 - 09/16/06 12:45 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Hm, i hope i did not divert the true message of this post by creating a connection to the civil rights movement..

There's much more to this than just privacy rights or drug freedom, although these things can be used as examples and goals. Essentially, I am really just trying to convey the nature of change, that change is created not through alterations and tweaks, but through novelty and originality. It arises out of emptiness, out of the void deep within ourselves, our imagination and our visions.

A person sitting on the sidewalk, communicates that he or she is not logged in, not wired to the hardware, not operating the machinery. The person has transcended the structure and created a gateway to unchartered territory. The person who is cleary apart from the system, even if he will eventually stand up again and walk the sidewalk, will open a door for others to step into, where on the other side they might find themselves looking at the machine, seeing it as a whole, before they step right back into it again, bringing along with them a little back thought, of what they saw and realized.

Again, this is not political, politics are part of it, but the whole idea is transcendental. This idea is meant to be a seed that can potentially grow into a beautiful tree of more ideas, ideas which weren't invented on the spot, but actually had to undergo a process of evolution to become what they are, unique and truly revolutionary.

--------------------

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6066783 - 09/16/06 12:48 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

There is no point. You see, that is the whole point. The point is that there doesn’t have to be a point.

Do you see how that doesn't work if the beginning is to not have a point?  You admit there is a point.

But I like the idea :grin:

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

InvisibleAlteredAgain
Visual Alchemist
 User Gallery

Re: a person on the sidewalk.. [Re: demiu5]
    #6066792 - 09/16/06 12:53 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

funny that you mention this, i realized the contradiction after posting but then didn't feel like editing.

at least you get the picture, that's the point. :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6066906 - 09/16/06 03:03 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

AlteredAgain said:
at least you get the picture, that's the point. :smile:

now Im confused...

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

Offlinephunker
Stranger thenStrange

Loc: At your door with spores
Re: a person on the sidewalk.. [Re: eligal]
    #6070048 - 09/17/06 06:52 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

watch radiohead's "just" music video. Pretty close to the same idea, years ago, if not the same. They leave the solution mysterious though.....Damn Crazies....
Edit: http://youtube.com/watch?v=CzEdITdGht4 Check it....

Edited by phunker (09/17/06 06:55 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom