Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Loc: the rain forests
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6070234 - 09/17/06 10:01 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I'll also add dropping the temps quickly and were talking core temps here guys not only slows vegetative growth quicker but also hastens the transition from vegetative growth the generative growth (fruiting) in cubies. And although I very much agree with RR I must say fridge dunking is most definitely cold shocking and has a direct response on myceliums growth. It isn't the same "cold shock" as our fall fruiting species use to trigger fruiting where it is needed and is one of the most important pinning triggers, which also can take much longer than several days as well.

--------------------
Getting the most out of your casings!, A pinning strategy.
Oyster Shell "Flour" $2 for 1lb. a hell of a deal :wink:
Not what is overlay but rather what overlay is
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePrisoner#1
Even Dumber ThanAdvertized!
 User Gallery

Loc: Pvt. Pubfag NutSuck
Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: hyphae]
    #6070255 - 09/17/06 10:10 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think vegitative growth is the wrong term, mycelial would probably be more apropriate

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #6070275 - 09/17/06 10:17 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Prisoner#1 said:
I think vegitative growth is the wrong term, mycelial would probably be more apropriate

Vegetative growth is the proper term as is generative growth as mycelial growth never really slows (expect during transition) it's just simply put to a different means (use). :wink:

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

"We all have priorities. I used a closet once setup a nice little lab trouble was all the shit that was in there ended up in the bedroom that pissed off the GF then I ended up dumping her as she was getting in the way of my sterile culture technique! Ya I got priorities too!!!"

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery
Loc: Flag
    #6071333 - 09/17/06 05:23 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Given that you want to put cakes in the fridge solely to prevent bacterial contamination during a 24 hour soak, can you leave them at room temp and use hydrogen peroxide water to soak them instead?

What if a partially contaminated cake from some kind of bacteria is dunked in h2o2 water and then returned to incubation? Could mycelium take over the previously contaminated area?

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: Terillius]
    #6071488 - 09/17/06 06:06 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

first question, yes.

second question, possibly. have personally succeeded doing basically that - h2o2/water dunk, then crumbling (mixing the uncolonized sketchy areas right in with the rest) and allowing to stitch together into a solid block in a tray. depends on how much substrate there is to go, and how agressive the bacterial contaminate is. usually bacterially contaminated cakes dont make it very far, but if it happened to make it almost to completion with little spots left that didn't go, you can pull it off.

OfflineTerillius
Renaissance Man
Male User Gallery
Loc: Flag
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6071548 - 09/17/06 06:18 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Looks like you are a fan of the stuff. I was searching away and found this post. I realize it is off topic, but it was very informative... Double thanks!

on hydrogen peroxide...

Quote:

creamcorn said:
there's definitely no place for it in a colonizing pf tek jar. if you put it in before sterilization, it will degrade to just water and oxygen by the heat. and anything you try to add after sterilization just increases the chances you introduce contaminants... so its not a winning situation either way.

i do like a 1:10 solution (1 part 3% H2O2 to 10 parts H2O) when i dunk pf cakes. i do notice that cakes on 2nd or 3rd flushes "fizz" a lot when i place them in the water, yet interestingly they don't fizz when they're initially dunked after birth. so who knows, maybe having them exposed to the outside world for two weeks during a flush they've collected some nasties and the fizzing is the H2O2 killing it, or maybe its due to something else all together...

i use a 1:10 solution in my mister too... but i'm betting that doesn't do much... mainly because again H2O2 breaks down easy... and one of the ways to speed that up is by causing turbulence in the solution (ie, shaking). i'm wondering how much of it actually survives the nozzle on the spray bottle considering its already so dilute... but whatever, a 1L bottle is $1.50 and its peace of mind even if its a placebo.

using it as a substitute for sterilizing substrate doesn't work very well or at all, been there done that! sure it keeps contams away those first few days, but it doesn't kill contam spores! it does the same thing to contams as it does to mycelium: slows them or prevents them from growing... until its broken down. then boom, its like you didn't do anything at all, and everything latent that was hanging out already comes back in full force.

other uses like putting it in your humidifier, PMP style fruiting chamber, TiT water, etc, are mostly pointless, because of that breakdown... unless you keep re-upping it every 2 days or so.

it is useful when applied as is at its 3% concentration to cobweb mold on casings, it will kill that on contact, but it definitely slows the mycelium down a few days until its broken down.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: Terillius]
    #6072193 - 09/17/06 09:02 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yes and no... i take back the comment about it not killing contaminate spores... i believe now it may actually oxidize some (but certainly not all, different contams are tougher than others)... and i have stopped using it in my mister water as i mentioned i never felt it did much, and  not using hasn't had any negative consequences. :smile:

Offlinehyphae
born to grow
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: cold shocking, who does it? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6073785 - 09/18/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Peroxiding substrates from agar to grains has proven quite successful at controlling pathogenic outbreaks. Distilled water is all one really needs to use as it becomes pretty much sterilized through the manufacturing process.

--------------------
Gas Exchange vs. FAE

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6074268 - 09/18/06 02:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://members.aol.com/PeroxyMan/index.html#Top?FAQs

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck