Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoma_seeker
Stranger in aStrange Land
 User Gallery

Loc: Down under
Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming
    #6043134 - 09/09/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Hi people,

i've had a quick look around the shroomery and erowid for some info on this topic but have come up with nothing, so i'm hoping someone can relate to my problem...

i've been growing shrooms for a few months now and as a result have been avg'ing about 2 moderate shroom trips per week.

on my very first trip after harvesting (not my first time shrooming, but the first in a while) i was lying down watching tv for a while at the come-down of my trip when suddenly a jolt went straight through my body, starting at my toes and terminating at my temples, which caused me to leap up into a sitting position and yell out. when the jolt seemed to reach my temples it also caused a strange noise, similar to a tv being turned off, followed by me going deaf for a very brief moment.

since then i've noticed this effect several times (but never as bad as the first instance), which usually now occurs once completely unexpected - following by an uneasy shocked feeling and several smaller follow-up shocks. sometimes i can feel it seem to 'buil-up' involving a kind of buzzing feeling in my temples, when i notice this i rub them and stand up and move around - thinking the problem may be due to a lack of blood flow.

i have only ever experienced this on shrooms and it is a very difficult sensation to adequately explain, it feels very alien and wrong. i'm a reasonably experienced tripper and am very comfortable with the use of psychedelics, so i'm confident that it isnt some kind of manifestation of emotional distress/discomfort.

if anyone has expereinced something similar or could shed some light on the topic for me i'd be much appreciated.

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: soma_seeker]
    #6043196 - 09/09/06 02:07 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I know the feeling of which you speak. I got this when I tripped a lot, too. I'd advise you to quit taking mushrooms for a while. All my trips went very bad after I started noticing this phenomenon. The sensation is very similar to what I experienced during SSRI withdrawal. So my gut tells me something's out of balance in your serotonin system. I apoligize for the complete lack of scientific evidence. I still get this sensation from time to time, though.

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

OfflineBlammo300

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: some1whoisntme]
    #6043410 - 09/09/06 05:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I experienced very similar sensations during my last trip. Last Monday I took 2 grams of golden caps which were some of the most potent I have had. First 4 hours of the trip were great but the last 2 hours I began to experience weird muscle tightness in my shoulder and neck. It would get stronger in waves and during the time my muscles felt like they became tighter but that is also the time I heard the buzzing noise.

I posted my trip report here, and I received a interesting response which did make sense.

Quote:

Physical tension, especially in the lower extremities, is very common during the comedown. However, the humming noises and neck tension you experienced are a telltale sign of something completely different. You were experiencing what is commonly referred to as the "vibrational state". During this state, your consciousness begins to tune in to a higher frequency than what is perceived as the physical world. Theta waves start to come in and say "how do you do?" in a rather rude manner.
The natural reaction to this, especially under the influence of a drug, is fear and the direction of thought back to the physical body. By eliminating this fear(a very hard task) and riding out the strange vibrations(vibrations, humming, buzzing, sucking, "atmospherics"), one becomes apt to experience awareness outside the physical realm. This is what is commonly referred to as astral projection or an o.b.e(though these can mean different things as well). Research into the subject will expound more information than what I am willing to reveal in this post(though lotsa poop is also out there).
Best of luck with any future expeditions you may have into this area. If you do not wish to explore the higher frequencies, it is best to introduce as much movement and noise into your trip as possible(I consider this a waste, but my personal preferences should'nt influence how you act in any way)

Posted by lavod

I will have to wait until my next trip before I can discover more.

Just out of curiosity have you ever tripped on E?

--------------------
"Sorry, I got lost on the road of life."

"I've never had a problem with drugs. I've had problems with the police."

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: Blammo300]
    #6043497 - 09/09/06 06:51 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the advice some1,

i guess i have been hitting it hard lately, over the past two months i doubt i've gone more than 5 days without taking acid, shrooms, ecstasy or a combination of them.

i hadn't really considered the possibility of this effect being due to a serotonin imbalance, not to offend u in any way but i usually consider that to be a simple answer that people always tend towards.

i'm not familiar with SSRI withdrawl, i'm guessing it relates to serotonin levels?

cheers blammo300,

thats an interesting quote you included, and don't get me wrong i am all for differing viewpoints but i was hoping to find more of a medical conclusion rather than one based on outer body experiences and astral-projection.

i read your post and i also frequently have trouble with a stiff neck and shoulders. the first time i tripped on acid it went bad and for about 4 hrs i was convinced that my spine was broken in 3 different places (moronic i know), this has unfortunately become a recurring negative trip for me but i've beeb getting on top of it recently.

good taste in music by the way too, i've only just started listening to shpongle, but i've been a floyd fan for a while now and 'wish you were here' is probably my fav album to listen to while tripping.

in answer to ur question, yes i've been taking E for over a yr now, i would not consider myself a regular user but when i do it is usually 2 or 3 at a time.

thanks people, peace.

--------------------
Taking a psychedelic is analogous to life, if you dwell on reaching the end you'll never enjoy the trip!

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: Blammo300]
    #6043522 - 09/09/06 07:06 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

generally with psychedellic signals last longer and interfere interestingly with eachother

the term tetany applies:
a normal nerve impulse triggers, oscillates, and fades within 1/15th of a second, it's passing leaves little disturbance in it's wake.

if the signal is extended, it's wake crosses and disturbs neighbouring signals and subsequent signals.

there is a disease called tetanus - where tetany is extended by an infectious agent - it is specifically neuromuscular, & is also called lockjaw - it involves signal extension to the face muscles engendering a painful rictus and sore spasming muscles lockup etc.

the psychonaut learns to relax, and to rescue and to tend parts of his self that cramp up to varying degrees, some will be physical and some will just be mental. the psychonaut learns to modulate feedback & to get in synch with it - or countersynch.

signal extension has it's glorious side effects as well as the jamming of normal functioning. releasing and encouraging gentle waves usually helps to some degree during, and lower frequency of usage is smart too. (I am into a higher frequency period and plenty of this is happenning)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleMourningdove
Stranger
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6043841 - 09/09/06 10:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Soma, I think you are taking way too much and perhaps your body is telling you that also. Give it a break for a month. It won't hurt you. You can always return. It would seem to me like taking that much would dull the effect anyway.

I would get these reactions on a common basis when I was taking antideprerssants years back. I had very bad reations to those chemicals and doctors kept giving me more! I have never had these reactions on mushrooms, but I usually only trip every 1 or 2 months.

Invisibleperuvian spark
Stranger

#6043883 - 09/09/06 10:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I get the same feeling every once in a while when I'm shrooming. It feels similar to an electric shock and the sound it makes is similar to a bull roarer going zooooom. I've noticed that it happens more often during intense moments of the trip and or when I hear certain sounds around me that break the silence. Sometimes it happens when I'm not tripping too.

This happened more often years ago when I tripped 7-10 times a year. But now I only trip a few times a year and I don't notice it as often - but it still happens sometimes. I only notice it on shrooms too, never on LSD.

--------------------
"The only unchangeable certainty is that nothing is certain and everything is changeable."

OfflineSilent_Vinny
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: Mourningdove]
    #6044367 - 09/09/06 01:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You're absoloutly right. I think the typical person experimenting with shrooms for the first few types is obviously within minimum time span of likely a day. Atleast it was for me.

The ones that got blown away by their first pshycedelic experience, and can't stop thinking about it the next day with coincidental free time on their hands they decide to finish off the bag.

Hmm, why not take a little bit more this time..yeh..because i eat a bunch yesterday..I'd need more to get back there.

Even after that 8 gram pshcotic, wicked terrible episode my second day of the introduction to the pshycedelic world, I took 4 g more two weeks after that. Which wasn't that bad, I was with two good buddies. It wasn't as heavy as all, I didn't even remember most of it, just the fact that we weren't zoomin. We sat there, in the living room, listening to Tool with the lights out. I was completley out of my mind, with the weed, being outside downtown getting pizza on the come-up. And the only thing I got out of that..was a bunch of unbeleivable pixel, voodoo extrodianare visuals, and I felt like I was in completle control the whole time. Where as the first two trips..there was very little control, actually none at all I guess if if I was stupid enough to eat them again alone in my bedroom the next day.

BUt I definently got the feeling that this has happened to quite a number of young teenage boys and girls, who loved the first ride so much, they took way to much the next time..and we all get the big kick in the ass of our mind.

As for the system shocks and jolts.

Part of your mind and the mushrooms, I think someone up there was trying to transcend. I've jolted quit a bit of drugs..and I always think of it as just a drug..and usually it comes at a time when it's teaching me something about myself, everybody and the whole world..and what it means to live. To breath life here...to die..to be born..to enjoy..to accept...to love :blush:....I feel quite a few understand the vision.

Mushroooms teach you.

And these jolts that happen off of mushrooms, what state of mind do you remember being in? What were you dwelled in to bring back the jolty feelings..and what were these jolty feelings? What did they mean? :stoned:

Offlinesome1whoisntme
Stranger

#6045122 - 09/09/06 09:42 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

SSRIs are Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors, a class of antidepressants. They work by blocking serotonin from being reabsorbed into the nerve cell after it is released into the synapse. Withdrawal is pretty bad, and fairly long lasting, for me anyway. (I was on Lexapro 20mg/day)

--------------------
"Ignore the distortion you're forced to percieve and believe that what supercedes is love, but who agrees?"

Offlineyospace
Stranger
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: some1whoisntme]
    #6051744 - 09/11/06 09:53 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think ive had this happen once while i was trying to fall asleep one day a few days after i had tripped, was it like a loud popping noise "inside" your head? I also was laying down and was forced into a sitting position.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: yospace]
    #6051821 - 09/11/06 10:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

"on my very first trip after harvesting (not my first time shrooming, but the first in a while) i was lying down watching tv for a while at the come-down of my trip when suddenly a jolt went straight through my body, starting at my toes and terminating at my temples, which caused me to leap up into a sitting position and yell out. when the jolt seemed to reach my temples it also caused a strange noise, similar to a tv being turned off, followed by me going deaf for a very brief moment".

This happens at any large dose of mushrooms, ayahuasca, or even lsd(aside from the deaf part but I have experienced something like that momentary after effect). I personally never felt that at any one point during any high dose mescaline experiences though.

The most intensly I have ever felt it was on lsd and mushrooms, and yes, other people experience what you are talking about to a T...
It has knocked me off my feet before. You can avoid hallucinogens for a few years and still have this happen.

I honestly think that if you learn to understand it, what that is is one of the most profound things these drugs can do to you.
Its one second of being tapped in to everything. It feels like electricity and resembles a super-short-lived seizure. It happens to some people when approaching the death experience, and given how many times I had heard about it after it had happened to me a few times, ayahuasca and lsd especially just does that to some people. You wont retain anything from this place if it is extreemely intense. It comes from the same place that audio tapestries and visuals come from.

It is the loudest thing I have ever heard, but it only lasts a fraction of a second. It scares the shit out of me too(especially the first time). I am beginning to understand it within that second or less, and its not just some malfunction. There is no time in that place. It truely is you experiencing metaphysics at its best.

But ya........It sounds exactly like a tv turning on/off with a high dose amp, but with the audio-tactile-visual-cognative pixilated dots connected in some massive wave of information.

I wouldnt stay away from hallucinogens because of it, and I know others have said you should.
You are the only other person I know on this site who explains the exact same thing so well, so I just figure I should tell you that that is in some pretty deep territory. Although it is not the most common thing, I wouldnt be very afraid of it.

Dont get me wrong though, that place is only momentary and yet to be studied. I think its the closest to death I will ever get before I seal the deal. It tempts me yet I am truely scared of what "it" can offer. It has only come to me when I am approaching something very special, something very unique but not often experienced by living humans. Id imagine it can happen as an effect or as a reminder of where you are going within your own neurology aswell. Its there, and there is nothing wrong with you experiencing it.

SO its not a matter of you being able to roll(control) with the numerous inputs and feedback as redgreenvises said although what he said does make a good bit of sense as usual. It is the sudden immersion into this place that has no words to describe it. It has little to do with your control over the experience you are having. Learning that this is part of what it takes to know that these things can be teachers beyond the self and fractal memory is very important, no matter how easily you stumble upon this fact.

This stuff is the nitty gritty...

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

Edited by yageman (09/11/06 10:57 PM)

Invisibleliamtheloser
Advanced Idiot
Male User Gallery
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: yageman]
    #6052014 - 09/11/06 11:28 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I actually am able to do this at will while tripping... It's strange... I hear a boom and loose all senses, sight, touch, sound, smell for a split second, and when I come back, I feel like I've sank into the ground an inch or so. I think it's a wonderful thing, and usually only get it at a high dose... However, more recently I have been growing a crazy reverse tolerance towards shrooms and haven't been able to experience it.

But don't worry, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

--------------------

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: yageman]
    #6052037 - 09/11/06 11:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Soma~

What you described in your post sounds exactly what I experience and have experienced. However, it is not from psychedelics or other drug use. I experiment with natural drugs and try to stay away from synthetics. With that said, this sensation started when I saw in middle school and I experience it rarely ever since. Once in a great while this force will come over me and without any control what you have described will take place. Edit* I don't yell out, however, I want to. I feel like I am paralyzed and tense at the same time, as if I was shocked. I also experience the deafness, it happens for a quick instance and then vanishes. Hmmm..i am very interested in this sensation. If you are wondering I have had this sensation for 8 years and it has never interfered with any part of my life. I do not have detrimental health, I am in good shape, just this weird sensation.

Keep posting on anything you find.

Peace,

I.T.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Edited by newmodel (09/11/06 11:43 PM)

Invisibledoctor_gonzo
Go fuckyourselves SanDiego...
Male

Loc: Colorado
    #6052139 - 09/12/06 12:02 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

A year ago I endured the same reaction from recurrent high doses of pure DXM. I was popping 4-5 pink capsules full of the shit each day for about three (3) months. Each cap contained approx. 300mg each. I would suffer from severe comedowns which I would attempt to sleep off, only to be jolted awake as you explained earlier. It got so intense I renounced DXM for a week or so before I began my helpless binge again. After a week or so this hellish jolt would return and I would start the process all over again. After a few more depraved months I gave the shit up entirely and moved on to better psychedelics (In my opinion). My guess is as good as the ones previously mentioned.

--------------------
"You're a fully grown man! Of course you don't wanna
hold her hand, you wanna dick her!"
-Grace Slick's
response to The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

-This pic thanks to aNeway2sayHooray

Offlinenewmodel
The Observer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around the 10,000 lakes.
Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: doctor_gonzo]
    #6052272 - 09/12/06 01:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

That's intense. I would not want anything to control my life that much. I'm glad you tossed it.

PEace,

I.T.

--------------------
A man that comes to the door is never quite the same man who went out.

Freedom is something that dies unless it's used

Offlinesoma_seeker
 User Gallery

Re: Nervous system shock/jolts while shrooming [Re: newmodel]
    #6052515 - 09/12/06 06:39 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

cheers for the responses everyone! i did not expect this level of feedback.

from the numerous replies there are some of you who seem to have experienced the exact sensation as me and those who have experienced something similar.

yageman, i'm yet to experience this sensation on LSD but am planning on having my next acid trip in the next week or two. my acid trips are always far more intense than my trips on shrooms so i really hope it does not occur as im worried i may be less mentally capable of dealing with it. knowing that this sympton is experienced by others does calm me to it though.

newmodel, thanks for ur input. not to discredit the input of others, i asure you it is all appreciated, but u have addressed the issue more in the manner i had hoped. it is good to hear explanations on a deep and symbolic level, but what i am concerned about is my physical well-being ie. wether i should be afraid of having a seizure or stroke or something and should see a doctor.

i thought i should also mention that since i have noticed this effect i endure a similar sensation (albeit far less intense) whenever i am even slightly shocked or scared, ie. if someone starts talking to me from my doorway when i hadn't realised they had approached.

from a more practical viewpoint (based entirely on my physical state when it occurs) i think this effect MAY be associated with a restriction of blood-flow. any thoughts?

ps. happy b'day doc-gonzo

--------------------

Invisibledoctor_gonzo
Go fuckyourselves SanDiego...
Male

Loc: Colorado
    #6064490 - 09/15/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

soma_seeker said:

ps. happy b'day doc-gonzo

:thumbup:Righto man:thumbup:

If you wish to read my experience on my 21st birthday click  here

--------------------
"You're a fully grown man! Of course you don't wanna
hold her hand, you wanna dick her!"
-Grace Slick's
response to The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

-This pic thanks to aNeway2sayHooray

Edited by doctor_gonzo (09/15/06 12:03 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules