Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePowerTrip
Polypharmaceutical Shaman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The void
Is euphoric experience a sign of progress in meditation?
    #6061194 - 09/14/06 02:44 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I have been studying Buddhism for quite a while now, but just recently began meditating with any regularity. I normally only devote 20 or so minutes to it in the morning before work. I usually sit in the half lotus with as close as I can get to perfect posture. Normally I notice maybe some sense of serenity and calm at best from this sitting.

The other day I was having trouble sleeping so I decided to try meditating while laying in bed. I have read from many sources that meditating while laying down is discouraged because it is easy to lose focus or fall asleep, but I figured falling asleep would be welcome at the time. As I laid there focusing on my breathing I relaxed my body as much as possible. I could feel this tension in all of my limbs being released. Once I felt the release of this tension I realized that this is something that is part of my every day waking existence that I never really took notice of before. As the awareness of my body subsided I was suddenly overcome with a euphoric feeling. It is difficult to describe but it felt as if there were no longer "borders" around my body, but I was part of my environment. This experience was very pleasant and it made me feel like finally I had made some progress in my meditation. I have repeated this feeling with some success but it has not been as euphoric as the first time.

I know that in Buddhism these feelings are not the goal of meditation, and are seen as possibly negative because they may serve as a distraction from the true goal. I am not sure if I should pursue this path since it seems more promising for me. I am in no way able to maintain proper posture while sitting, yet still relax my body to this degree. I actually cannot even replicate the technique while sitting in a chair. Any advice from the Buddhist brothers in the forum would be appreciated.

--------------------
I spit reality, instead of what you usually learn
and I refuse to be concerned with condescending advice
cause I'm the only motherfucker that can change my life

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: Is euphoric experience a sign of progress in meditation? [Re: PowerTrip]
    #6061250 - 09/14/06 02:57 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

http://buddhism.about.com/cs/meditation/a/Jhanas.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyana

it is fine
and it gets subsumed by equanimity
(transcended - whatever)

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #6061606 - 09/14/06 04:14 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The experiences in meditation are not where the problem is. The problem always lies in our attachment to those experiences (e.g wanting to repeat them again, etc), which can block ones progress whatever meditative path one is following, be it Buddhist or not. In answer to your question, yes experiences of bliss, non-thought, pleasurable sensasations, as well as other less pleasurable experiences are all signs that the practice is functioning and if you dont get conditioned and distracted by these experiences, your meditation practice will continue to deepen.

If you feel comfortable meditating lying down, and can manage not to fall into states of sleepiness, then there is no problem with that, especially if you find it hard to sit in full or half lotus position. Also there are various meditation belts and stools that you can purchase to help support your back, or you can even lean up against a wall if you find that more comfortable, just make sure the wall isn't too cold otherwise it can cause wind imbalances in your energy system (or so i have been told).

Good fortune to you! :grin:

Namaste. :japsmile:

--------------------

Edited by Sinbad (09/15/06 10:50 AM)

InvisiblethatiAM
Stranger

#6061639 - 09/14/06 04:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Possibly a sign of progress, but ignore them. Getting caught up in progress or not will probably just mess you up if your goal is enlightenment. Enlightenment isn't really a progress, and especially not one you will measure with experiences during meditation.

Doubt what the mind is telling you, especially about what you are, what you want and what makes you happy. No idea will encapsulate Truth. You will have to look for it before the mind gets involved, in the indescribable now.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #6061686 - 09/14/06 04:36 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

PowerTrip said:
I have been studying Buddhism for quite a while now, but just recently began meditating with any regularity. I normally only devote 20 or so minutes to it in the morning before work. I usually sit in the half lotus with as close as I can get to perfect posture. Normally I notice maybe some sense of serenity and calm at best from this sitting.

The other day I was having trouble sleeping so I decided to try meditating while laying in bed. I have read from many sources that meditating while laying down is discouraged because it is easy to lose focus or fall asleep, but I figured falling asleep would be welcome at the time. As I laid there focusing on my breathing I relaxed my body as much as possible. I could feel this tension in all of my limbs being released. Once I felt the release of this tension I realized that this is something that is part of my every day waking existence that I never really took notice of before. As the awareness of my body subsided I was suddenly overcome with a euphoric feeling. It is difficult to describe but it felt as if there were no longer "borders" around my body, but I was part of my environment. This experience was very pleasant and it made me feel like finally I had made some progress in my meditation. I have repeated this feeling with some success but it has not been as euphoric as the first time.

I know that in Buddhism these feelings are not the goal of meditation, and are seen as possibly negative because they may serve as a distraction from the true goal. I am not sure if I should pursue this path since it seems more promising for me. I am in no way able to maintain proper posture while sitting, yet still relax my body to this degree. I actually cannot even replicate the technique while sitting in a chair. Any advice from the Buddhist brothers in the forum would be appreciated.

Serotonin..

Offlineeve69
--=..Did Adam and ...?=--
Male User Gallery

Loc: isle de la muerte Flag
Re: Is euphoric experience a sign of progress in meditation? [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6063058 - 09/14/06 10:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
http://buddhism.about.com/cs/meditation/a/Jhanas.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyana

it is fine
and it gets subsumed by equanimity
(transcended - whatever)

My first though was the jhanas too. It's a sign of pure nervous system that the shrotas or nadis are straight and one can relzax and their nervous system not feel all limited by their flesh. Consider where getting your wings comes from. That unbounded feeling. A human at least in their mind has unlimited potential. Some may say that experience is a distraction, but it truely is rather all that there is. The primordial tigle or sphere. Union of heart and mind.

--------------------
...or something

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6063995 - 09/15/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Simply the ego reminding you that it is still there.  Ignore it and continue doing what you are doing.  :smile:

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder