Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTranceTrippinXTC
THC Mushroom

Loc: Midwest
Fructification chamber, automated humidification/air exchange [not a growlog]
    #606325 - 04/12/02 01:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hey ya'll. I'm back to tell how our attempt to build a fully automatic grow setup turned out...

First you prolly want to look at some pictures, so here ya go.....

This pick shows the whole setup stacked on a 3 tier shelf tucked away in the side of the closet...

'Nother one from inside the closet, barely enough room to frame picture...really shitty lighting.

So here's one with the flash off...

Ok, so this is sitting flush in a small corner of the closet.... We lined the corner from floor to ceiling with heavy duty plastic sheeting... 6 mil. I believe... We were going to make a curtain for it too so we could fully enclose it, but decided not to for now...

If any of you remember our first post when we were just putting this thing together there was some skepticism from the experienced growers about a few things we did, like the heater inside the humidifier for one, using the coolmist altogether for another... If anyone missed that post and care to check it out you can do so here. Now let me explain how we were stubborn and learned for ourselves the hard way....

Well MAIA, the aquarium heater inside the coolmist was definately not a good idea, it never raised the temp more than one degree even when we had it running constantly... We ended up taking it out and I just bought a space heater for the closet from target.com on clearance for $35. It only needs run during the winter.

And Eightball, yes the humidifier tek is a royal pain in the ass... We have went through three humidifiers and tried numerous different settings and still can't get it right... I suggest perlite for anyone just getting started now...

Well here's the deal with our humidifier troubles... With our first one we had bought a timer and messed around with it trying to get the right humidity... At first we had it 2 hrs. on 1hr. off. Then the humidity wasn't keeping up there, so eventually we unplugged the timer and just ran it 24hrs straight again... and still couldn't keep the humidity up there. WTF... We tried cleaning it, moving it, didn't help.... Eventually the motor start making a really loud noise and we couldn't use it anymore.... We did notice that water was sitting up by the motor housing--if you took the filter off you could put your hand down in an inch of water... Cleaned and dryed it, didn't help...

So I went out and bought a new one, this time all I could find was the actual Kaz model, Healthmist 4100 I believe... Do NOT buy this one people. It leaks like no other.... Check out this pic, it was leaking so bad waterloggin our towel so we put it in a rubbermaid container, it started filling up with water so we decided for some reason to put perlite in there to soak up some water... Well this thing was floating in the tub after 2 days.... here look for yourselves....

We ditched this one and bought another Vicks V400... This time we just slapped some duct tape over the original output and epoxied a 5/8" hose barb fitting into the side. We decided not to use the valve as we couldn't get it to adjust anything very well.... We used our orignial base so we didn't have to make another fill tube...here's what it looks like now...

The thing is, we couldn't get this brand new one up past 70% humidity. It was time for us to birth our cakes last Saturday when we were trying to get this new cool mist running right so we put perlite in the tank and set the cool mist to run 1 hr. on 1 hr. off for air exchange and a little boost in humidity... We have now been around 98% RH for a week...Still waiting for our first pins ever so patiently. When we get some pins I will make a new post....

Also, we bought a small HEPA air purifier from Target for $30. Works for 6x9 rooms I think, perfect for our closet. We run it on low with the built-in negative ION generator turned on....

And our space heater has a thermostat with digital readout, We set it on 75? F. and forget about it. The guage in the terrarium always reads within .5? of it. We got that for $35 from Target.

Let's see, what else.... Our incubator has a smaller rubbermaid inside that can fit eight jars and our remote temp sensor. We have that sitting in water and bleach in the big container heated by a submersable aqurium heater... We got it adjusted to 84? F. and as the jars were reaching full colinization it raised to 86? F. The guage in the pics above show the temp. in the incubator... The top row anyway, the bottom row is room temp and RH%.

Well that's it I think, hope we see some pins this weekend so I can take some more pictures.... we'll definately let you see them too!

Edited by concretefeet (01/23/05 04:04 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: TranceTrippinXTC]
    #606354 - 04/12/02 01:44 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nice setup you have there. Hopefully everything will work out great for you. I dont know about you but for me waiting for pins have got to be the hardest waiting of the whole process.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: ]
    #606409 - 04/12/02 02:25 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

hehehe looks good. my friend gets bye with perlite and fanning.

Good luck chief!!!

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineLSD_4me
addict
Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: baraka]
    #606419 - 04/12/02 02:32 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

ultrasonics are much easier to calibrate, you jus t add bottles to drop the moisture content, and your right it is a pain in the ass to calibrate, but man once its calibrated.....

Offlinevatoloco
Puppet Hunter -DBK
Post deleted by MOE THE MAD SCIENTIST [Re: LSD_4me]
    #606602 - 04/12/02 06:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

OfflineTranceTrippinXTC
THC Mushroom

Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: vatoloco]
    #606641 - 04/12/02 07:18 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

In reply to:

I've found (as well as others) that the less you run the cool mist the higher the humidity.

Hey Vato that's interesting... After these cakes are spent, I'll try adjusting it again...
That timer sounds sweet, I'll have to check it out. Our timer only has an on/off switch for each hour of the day... Seems like it would be more accurate to calibrate humidity by setting minutes on/off instead of hours.

Since we already added the perlite and still ran the cool mist 24hrs. straight we got way too much humidity after 2 days (Suprise!) we tried backing it off to 1 hr. on 2 hrs. off. Yesterday it seemed like the condensation was down a little bit ( I can't tell exact humidity becuz our gauge reads HI from 95%-100% RH) but I need to check today still, hopefully it won't be higher, if so I'll prolly just unplug it and try to find the time to fan it...

As for the fill tube, I'm glad everyone likes it... but as far as your question well the humidifier is not air tight so we haven't had a problem with the water level not dropping in the tube with the rest of the water in the base. I assume that's why anyway. Then when we uncap it to fill it, the water level showing through tube gradually rises and sits at the same level as the water in the base. The only problem we've had with it is that it leaves a water residue on the tube so it's kinda hard to see where the water level is in low light...

Thanks for your input, I'll definately get some good pics up when we see pins!!!

InvisibleRoadkill
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Snoqualmie, Wa.
Trusted Cultivator
    #606693 - 04/12/02 08:29 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

hi....Trance bro

nice little set up you have there.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: Roadkill]
    #606777 - 04/12/02 10:28 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Holy crap my man, you have just solved one of my problems!

I've been trying to devise a way to fill a vics coomist without having to take the top section off. . .the setups I've seen have 1/2" ID PVC fixed to the top, kind of a pain to remove/fill. That u-shaped tubing coming out of the bottom will give an exact indication of the water level inside the reservoir, and you can fill it from there as needed.
Brilliant!

As far as your humidity woes, I think there are a couple other variables to consider. . . diameter of tubing, size of terrarium, and temperature difference between coolmist reservoir and terrarium air.

The last one is most important and often overlooked. If you really want to knock the humidity up, put a reptile heating pad underneath the coolmist. If the reservoir is slightly warmer than the terrarium air, the humidifying effect of the coolmist will be drastically increased. I once tried the submersible fish heater as you described. . .didn't work worth a damn.
Without a heated reservoir, the tendency will be for the water reservoir to be cooler than the terrarium air [solid body of water has low heat capacity, terrarium has respiring substrate] and this is a potential recipe for slight DEhumidification [or at least suboptimal coolmist performance].
Given what you've already put into the project, a small heating pad is worth the investment.
Good luck, and nice job;

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Check Out My First Grow Setup --Completed-- [Re: Suntzu]
    #606786 - 04/12/02 10:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Ah, I just caught that you got your rH jump with perlite. . .cool.  But from what I hear, the sooner you can get rid of that junk, the better.  Wet perlite is quite a mess to clean up :smile: 

OfflineTranceTrippinXTC
THC Mushroom

#606823 - 04/12/02 11:24 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah Suntzu I hear ya perlite is a mess. Don't want to mess with it ever again....This time we had to so we could go ahead and birth the jars...

My friend and I were thinking about the heating pad deal but didn't want to cuz of a possible fire hazzard. I don't know about your cool mist, but our Vicks leaks just a little bit of water. Like very little. I don't know, could one or two drops of water be something to worry about catching the damn thing on fire?

BTW, the fill tube was made with a 90? elbow hose barb... We used a 5/8" ID tubing like the cool mist tek said so we went with the 3/4" x 5/8". One side is threaded, other side has the hose barb... Then we just put a scrap piece of tubing on there and a cap with a brass barb cuz we still haven't found a good size rubber plug.

edit:

dood I just saw that you mentioned a reptile heating pad, not an actual heating pad... We bought one of those, a T-Rex one for 10 gal. and tried to heat our terrarium with it and it didn't heat for shit. What size do you have??? How hot does it get???

Edited by TranceTrippinXTC (04/13/02 12:11 AM)

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#606857 - 04/13/02 12:27 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Now that you mention it, that was a concern for awhile. . .I got around it by putting "spacers" underneath the heating pad/coolmist, and cocking the unit slightly so that any drips would collect in the shallow rubbermaid that the coolmist sat in. Worked pretty well, the water evaporated before it could build up, even running 24/7.

I bet you could put a sort of thin 'flashing' or collar around the inside rim of the lower half of the coolmist, so that when the top part was placed, it gave a sort of short elizabethan collar type look; if you glued it right and drilled a tiny drain hole, that might be the end of drippage. . .

I remember someone mentioning that one of the reasons drippage occurs is that there is too much positive pressure inside the coolmist when the output is greatly restricted. According to them, drippage can be eliminated if you install another vent of proper size--I'm sure this would affect your output, though. Which might be a good thing.

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#606862 - 04/13/02 12:32 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

You mean 'what size DID you have'  :smile:

I think it was a 'reptitherm' and was about half the size of a piece of notebook paper.  It got pretty warm, but not too warm--you don't want the reservoir warmed too much.  One thing you'll notice on the bottom of the Vics is that it has this damned ribbed molding, which gives you incomplete contact with any sort of flat heating pad. 
Almost took the belt sander to it, but the rH was very nice as it was, so I left it be.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was a reptitherm.  I don't know wattage, etc. 

OfflineTranceTrippinXTC
THC Mushroom

#606892 - 04/13/02 01:16 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

cool man thanks! I've got a lot more experimenting to do I see...LOL

Maybe in a couple years after I get it perfected I could make a more in depth tek on how to build and setup a cool mist humidifier.

OfflineTrAnCyNuGz
Stranger

#606975 - 04/13/02 03:35 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Nice Bro,
  It's been awhile since you first started planning the project, and within the week, there will be pins!!!  Can't wait for the reward :smile: 

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #607235 - 04/13/02 01:46 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Hi there man!
Nice to see you solved many of your problems, the setup is getting really interesting, now keep up the good work and good luck with your experiences.

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, HEPA Filter, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Grow Logs