Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Melatonin, Salvia, St. John's Wort, Syrian Rue

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
shroom tea question
    #606193 - 04/12/02 10:30 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I read the shroomer recipe category on making shroom tea and turning the juice into grape coolaid. My question is since the mush chunks have been heated and the juice strained to make Kool-Aid do we now just throw the chunks away? I figure so since the heat may have ruined the active properties left. I think the purpose of the tea is so we dont have to taste the shrooms. Is this correct?

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineYourHighness
ruling since1991

Loc: TX
Re: shroom tea question [Re: SouthernGent]
    #606272 - 04/12/02 12:26 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

YourHighness' recipe/method for GOOD tasting "tea":

Here's how YourHighness does it. You might think this was written by the "Anal-Retentive Chef", but I'm of the opinion that paying attention to detail yields better trips. I like to cook, so I enjoy the process of preparation as well as the drinking of the tea.

----------------------------

Put on some music, light some incense, lighten your mood, and get started.

Weigh your shrooms & calculate the number of doses you will get from the harvest.

Then, if working with wild-harvested shrooms, rinse the dung bits & straw off the harvest. Place a large bowl in the sink, but not under the stream of water. As you rinse and admire each shroom, let the water flow thru the gills, then let the purple sporulated water drip into the bowl. When all shrooms are washed, pour the spore water into a squeeze bottle with a nozzle, place the bottle in the refrigerator, and use the water to innoculate dungpiles during your next hunt.

In a large cooking pot, pour between 8 and 10 oz. of bottled spring water for each dose you calculated. Some water will boil off during cooking.

Powder a couple 500mg Vitamin C tablets and dump into the water. The antioxidant effect prevents the active ingredients from oxidizing and reducing your tea's potency. Don't believe me? With Vitamin C, your tea likely won't turn blue/purple, while tea boiled without Vitamin C usually turns blue, in my experience.

Add any other admixtures and/or herbs to the water. Things I have used in the past (but not all at once) are: powdered Syrian Rue seed, powdered melatonin tablets (10K X more antioxidant than Vitamin C), a few powdered St. John's Wort tablets.

Turn on the heat under the cooking pot. I like to start low and gradually increase the heat to a gently rolling (but not frothing) boil.

Respectfully & lovingly cut up the shrooms with scissors and let the pieces fall into the water. I used to use a handheld blender to pulverize the shrooms, but stopped after they "told" me they didn't like the violence of that process ( I know that sounds like a hippy-weirdo delusion, but that's the impression I got ). Salvia also speaks to me.

While the water is boiling, use an implement to gently mash & squeeze the shroom pieces against the bottom of the cooking pot. I used a tall glass bottle with a flat bottom. Take off your watch or the steam will ruin it.

Once the contents of the pot have reached a rolling boil for 5 minutes, turn off the heat. Some folks say the tea is done when the mushroom bits have sunk. Since I always mash mine to the bottom, I wouldn't know.

Plug the sink and fill with a few inches of cold water & ice.

Place the cooking pot in the sink with the cold water to start rapidly cooling your tea.

While the tea is cooling, prepare your cups for serving. I use the small packets of
unsweetened fruit punch or berry punch flavored Kool-Aid or Flavor-Aid(better tasting) that cost less than 20 cents. Grape, lemonade, and citrus flavors don't mask the taste as well as the berry/fruit punch flavors. Divide the contents of ONE packet into THREE piles. Dump a pile into a cup and add FIVE heaping spoonfuls of sugar, or equivalent amount of other sweetener.

After your tea has cooled a bit in the pot in the sink, it's time to strain it and measure the ending volume. A wire-mesh strainer works best, but a colander will do. Pour the tea thru the strainer into a large pitcher or bowl. Press the excess liquid out of the cooked shroom bits. Get a pair of pantyhose and cut off the foot section about 10 inches from the tip of the toe. Better yet, use a men's nylon dress sock. Nylon works better than cotton, but use a clean sock/stocking of some sort. Dump the contents of the strainer into the sock/pantyhose. Twist off the open end and squeeze all the liquid out of the shroom bits into the pitcher or bowl. Twisting helps get it all out, but stop when solid matter starts to ooze out of the sock material. Empty the sock and place the squeezed shroom bits in a ziplock bag, then toss the bag into your freezer. Next time you brew tea, dump the frozen shroom bits into the tea after cooking to help it cool faster. Plus, if there's any active ingredients left in the frozen shroom bits, they will be released during the 2nd squeezing.

Get a storage container for any tea that will not be consumed immediately. I use an empty plastic gallon water jug. Fill a measuring cup with the strained tea, and pour into your storage container. Repeat until it is all in the storage container. Keep track of how many cups/ounces of liquid you ended up with. Divide the total ending volume by the number of doses you calculated, and that will be the serving size.

Shake the jug to distribute any settled solids. Pour the alloted serving amount into each of your prepared cups, stir and add ice, if necessary. The tea will be strongly punch flavored, so you may want to dilute it.

There you go! GOOD-tasting mushroom tea! Often you can hardly taste a difference between your tea and normally prepared Kool-Aid. I have had MANY people tell me that this recipe makes the best tasting shroom tea they have ever had. However, BE CAREFUL! This stuff tastes so good that your party guests might want to drink too much and trip harder than planned.

Enjoy!

--------------------------

InvisibleSouthernGent
veteran
Re: shroom tea question [Re: YourHighness]
    #606306 - 04/12/02 01:04 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks your Highness. That is exactly what i m talking about. Tonight I will be preparing a single serving 10 oz 40 gram wet or about 4g dry punch for myself. I ll certainly write you and inform you how it goes.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Incense, Melatonin, Salvia, St. John's Wort, Syrian Rue

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Psychedelic Experience