Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
here's my incubation, is this okay?
    #6061283 - 09/14/06 05:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ok, I have 12 inoculated WBS jars sitting on a shelf in my closet (about the only place I have for them to sit that's out of sight). I have a small lamp in there with a 150 watt bulb that keeps the temperature at almost exactly 84 degrees at all times. Now, I know shrooms don't require much light to grow, but is light detrimental to their growth?

I guess what I'm asking is: will I get better mycellium growth with low temps (around 72) and no light, or good incubation temps, but 24 hour light?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Re: here's my incubation, is this okay? [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6061298 - 09/14/06 05:08 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

I suppose I should mention, I inoculated on monday evening at around 6, and it's thursday at 3pm now, and I'm showing small signs of visible mycellium growth, I just don't want to hinder with the light...

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6061304 - 09/14/06 05:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

the light won't harm them, and the temps are fine. :thumbup:

its true that light is a pinning trigger, but its "ignored" until the other triggers are in place: 100% colonization, and FAE mainly.

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Re: here's my incubation, is this okay? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6061343 - 09/14/06 05:15 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

cool, thanks very much!

this is my first grow, so I'm super nervous I'm going to eff something up. :p

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6061393 - 09/14/06 05:27 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

take a deep breath and relax. :smile:

if you see some mycelium growth now, you've done better than many folks who've tried their hand, and have gotten past the hardest part it sounds.  you still got a good 2 weeks or more now while you wait for those jars to colonize, so forget about 'em, do some reading and plan your attack for birthing.

good luck on the first grow, its always the most exciting (and most difficult to wait through!) :thumbup:

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6061544 - 09/14/06 05:56 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well, they're pint WBS jars, so after spawning I was planning on casing them in miracle grow moisture control potting soil with vermiculite, microwaved pasturization ('cause I'm cheap and lazy :smile: )

I think I've got everything covered, and I'm relativley confident I'll get this done correctly (I've always been good at gardening and getting stuff to grow...but these are a little different than carrots in a garden), thanks again for your help, and I'll ask if I have any more questions.

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6061581 - 09/14/06 06:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well if you're casing, light only becomes a concern right up at the end.  you might realize (if not get to reading :wink:) that once you lay your casing layer down, you incubate and allow it to colonize for about 3 days.  this is when you want to avoid peeking and keep it in the dark... once its ready for the FC, that's when you blast 'er with the light. :wink:  but up until that point, knock yerself out with the light, it won't matter much.

were you planning on casing the straight WBS?  many folks have bad luck with that because WBS alone doesn't hold a lot of moisture.  considering mushrooms are 90+% moisture, that's a recipe for... not so good. :smile:  consider spawning to something, poo, compost, coir, straw, etc.  its not too much extra work, and not only gives them some extra food on top of the WBS but also tons of extra moisture.

1 qt wbs spawned to 1 qt hydrated coir... and also cased with the moisture control mix.  all it really took was mixing the colonized WBS in with some moist coir, waiting an extra 4-5 days, then continue with the casing process.  i wish i had an example of say 2 qts straight WBS but i promise it wouldn't look like that.  what a difference some moisture can make eh? :smile:

and dont get me wrong, casing straight WBS WILL work, but you need to keep on top of keeping your casing moist (because when it comes down to it your casing also provides quite a bit of moisture)... its a little more foolproof and a lot more productive to spawn to something though. :thumbup:

edit: holy crap im a space cadet.  you did say you were going to spawn.  well there's a bunch of useless info for you anyway. :smile:

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6061656 - 09/14/06 06:29 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well thank you for the information anyway, I think it helped.

I was planning on spawning, but hadn't really found any useful information on it, just people claiming it was better than straight casing.

would you mind elaborating a little bit? as far as I understand, straight casing would be like 4 inches of y colonized WBS covered in 2 inches of Moisture control +verm. yes?

the spawning would be...?

thanks again!

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6061708 - 09/14/06 06:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well first and really important, you want 1/4 to 3/8 inches of casing layer... just enough so you can't see the mycelium anymore once you've applied it. i find moisture control performs awesome when its applied thinly, at that 1/4" mark.  2" will suffocate the substrate underneath if not timed correctly, you won't get many or any pins.  (a caveat to that is a thicker casing can hold more moisture, and does work, its just a little harder to manage and to time your pinning initiation.  i'd stay away from a thicker layer personally.)  a good thread to reference is hyphae's pinning strategy too: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/3290155#Post3290155

as far as spawning, you basically take your colonized WBS, and mix it in with something else... a bulk substrate (like mentioned could be poo, compost, coir, straw... or a mixture).  this is typically done in a 1:4 ratio.  so for every 1 pint of your colonized WBS, you mix it with 4 pints of bulk substrate.  when its all colonized, like magic you just turned 1 pint of wbs into 5 pints of substrate that's ready to kick some ass. :wink:

i wont go into detail anymore because there's literally thousands of threads, and tons of teks on bulk spawning.  this is my favorite: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5150228#Post5150228 - although its not so descriptive really when it comes to the actual spawning step... but like i said there's lots of descriptions on how to go about that if you look around :smile:

OfflineHippieChick
Chicks can do it too!
Female User Gallery

Loc: Midwest
Trusted Cultivator
    #6061719 - 09/14/06 06:47 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Spawning is when you mix(spawn) your colonized substrate , in your case , WBS , to another bulk substrate . H/poo , straw , coir , compost , or whatever else you might choose . This substrate is then allowed to colonize and fruit .

A 2" casing layer is a little extreme . I rarely use one more then 1/2".

Peace,Love,Happiness and Harmony
:heart: Hippie Chick  :mushroom2:

--------------------
Peace,Love and Happiness
:heart: HC :mushroom2:

Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose..............

I LUV My Greenhouse
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/5545848#5545848

My First Pans
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6212058#6212058

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6061783 - 09/14/06 07:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

ok well, the 2 inches was just a random example, but now I know not to do that :smile:

I'm not sure what all is available in my area for substrate materials, but I'll look around and see what I can find. I've heard manure and compost will give the most potency (in that order), so I suppose I'll start looking for those, but I'm not sure about the poo. Coir on the other hand, I know I can find.

would it be better for me to case these in a container like the gladware  posted in creamcorns link, or should I maybe just consider using the entire rubbermaid tub as a casing? I have 12 pint jars, and it seems that if I used the 4:1 ratio as suggested I'd have more than enough substrate to do a monotub grow...but is that really complicated?

thanks,
Ap

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6065454 - 09/15/06 06:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

...bump...

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6065613 - 09/15/06 07:36 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

case with any size containers you're comfortable with.

deeper substrates means bigger meatier mushrooms usually (up to about 6"... don't go deeper or you run into trouble, in fact 3-4" is about all you usually need IMO).  more surface area is more potential for pins.  that's all you need to keep in mind.  balance those two things how you see fit.

its more of a don't put all your eggs in one basket thing.  using a whole tub is the monotub/doubletub tek, look those up for info how to pull that off.

you can certianly put all your eggs in one basket if you're fine with that... big trays or a big monotub means big results if it goes well. :smile:

OfflineCiv
Pinning
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
    #6065817 - 09/15/06 08:52 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

I have a small lamp in there with a 150 watt bulb that keeps the temperature at almost exactly 84 degrees at all times.

You mean a light lamp or a heat lamp?

--------------------
"...Gal's seem to hate the thought of blending chicken shit in a blender.
So, wash it well afterwards & DON'T tell them..."  -Agar

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6066871 - 09/16/06 04:08 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

just a regular light lamp.

OfflineWayward_Son
Shroomable Action Figure
 User Gallery

#6068585 - 09/16/06 08:35 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I just got a refund for my new $40.00 sub heater, given what you say about the 150 watt light. My inc is not inside where the temp is sorta the same due to the home heating system etc, so I have to have SOMETHING with a thermostat on it.
So I dug out this very small space heater I got at a threift store a couple years ago. I have been running it all day and checking temp consistencey and so far it is far better than what the sub heater was doing for me. I have a wide top bowl with water in it so I won't dry out my jars by using a dry heater. You might add a bowl of water to your closet as well if there is anyway that water can escape your jars(co2 exit). I am in the northwest and spore counts are lower OUTSIDE than indoors; the hmidity is higher. Two reasons to be outside. That is where I have my 'grow closet'
Depends on where you live I guess.

--------------------

' Call us....We're here to help!'

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Coir, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation