Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGSxx83
He, Himself
Male

Loc: EARTH
The problem with pot's image.
    #6060350 - 09/14/06 10:59 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Basically, if you are the type who is positive minded, goal oriented and an overal happy person, pot normally wouldnt affect you in a negative manner.

BUT. 90% of the pot smokers who are "good" and use their habit to laugh, love, learn, relax, control anxiety,depression etc fall under the rader.
We do what we do - we love it, and we are productive members of society.

Then you have the 10%.
The ones that are natural "losers". They are dirtbags, they have no respect for life, self improvement, etc etc. Those are the pot smokers who get noticed. They get caught with it while during unrelated crimes and other stupid shit(Driving Drunk,Beuing out of work, Quitting School etc etc etc). Even though none of their actions have to do with POT, the fact that they smoke is made extremely obvious to be used as an excuse for their actions, and to keep up with the propoganda of the "War against Drugs".

your thoughts?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGSxx83
He, Himself
Male

Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: GSxx83]
    #6060508 - 09/14/06 11:47 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

26 reads and no replies? :frown:

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6060534 - 09/14/06 11:59 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I think your exactly right and you've hit a very important issue... especially in regards to legalization. The hippie movement of the past generation contributed to this "stoner dropout" mentality. The hippie's had good philosophy, but their whole idea of drop-out sit-in-the-field and spend-mom-and-dads-money-till-its-gone mentality is what brought about the movements ultimate demise: you can't change a dominant social power by withdrawing from that society. Those who didn't start their own communes soon ran out of money, felt an emptiness inside from just sitting around getting high, and abandoned the whole movement by labeling themselves as jaded druggies that "had it all wrong".

These are the people that run our world today. Ex-hippies and people who saw the hippies demise. The adult world is very blind and one-sided about pot because of this.

Now, like you say, people think smoking pot will make you a social reject. What they don't seem to care to realize is that social rejects really like smoking pot. The egg before the chicken, if you will. The intelligent motivated individuals who use cannabis as a tool are, in my opinion, more enlightened then those intelligent people who indulge in alcohol. At the very least, beyond my own opinion, i would say they are equal.

There's no denying pot can make you unproductive, lazy, and stupideder. I've noticed this is mostly the case with marijuana ABUSE instead of USE though... the same goes for any substance abuse (including alcohol). As it was once said by someone, we take from and destroy the Earth, and are doing so at an increasing rate. Cannabliss is Gaia fighting back. It will inspire those intelligent individuals with positive perceptual changes, and it will make failures out of those who would have otherwise progressed into materially corporate environmentally destructive assclowns. If you believe in Karma, spirit guides, intelligent collective consciousness, and the influence these forces can have on our day-to-day decisions, you might re-evaluate the travesty of the fact that "Marijuana ruined Johnny's life! He was on right track till he started smokin that pot! Now hes old, lazy, and has made nothing of his life!" as apposed to what, becoming an intelligently evil spoke in a wheel of karmic dissonance? Thank Gaia he started smokin that evil weed...

Another good point you made was how the good pot smokers (which i believe, as you do, make up a larger majority of them) arn't recognized, if nothing else, because our judgmental society can't accept the fact that non-failure Green smokers are out there, much less running rampant in our colleges and upper-end society. You could have done great things your whole life, and when they find out your a pot smoker, they say "oh well you'll fail eventually, thats what pot does to you." or "oh, you COULD have done better if you weren't rockin the ganj" regardless of if your already performing better then 90% of the non-ganj population.

This will never change.... the majority of people over 30 that feel this way will continue to feel this way. Our generation, even for non-smokers, is WAY more accepting of it. We wont, any time soon, get rid of this bad image... Only through generations of observation will this ever change, but as for now, ppl young and old alike are still too caught up on the "hippies were failures, so new-age hippies ARE failures" ideal...

Plus schwag has given Pot a bad rep... the down stupid lazy high (I love it, I'm not gonna lie) that it provides. Thats what the majority of the old hippies had... With chronic and vaporizers taking over more and more, people will soon realize the benefits to the Dela-9 and the positive impact its altered perceptions and creativity spark can provide to a functioning society...

Long Live Mary Jane!

-SDP :bigjoint:

--------------------
Teonanacatl, open up my eyes
This sacrament, this prayer, beyond the world of lies
Guide me clearly through that which I dont understand
Give me strength to find the path
Help me fight any demons as you flow through me wholely
This is my prayer, that you protect me from evil, and bring me closer to peace
And open up my eyes, so i can see things as you do
Amen

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6060578 - 09/14/06 12:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

These signs popped up everywhere in this, ironically, very wealthy suburb of the big city I'm in.... There's still hope yet! I love it!

--------------------
Amen

Edited by SDP (09/14/06 10:14 PM)

Invisibledrijx
ҽӽҏҽґіᵯҽӣҭӧґ ғҽҁҽᴢᴢ
Male

Loc: Ⱥʍͼѓᴉᴋѧ
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: SDP]
    #6060588 - 09/14/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

word  :congrats:

--------------------

OfflineKbell
Stranger
Female

#6060617 - 09/14/06 12:29 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I agree with you 100%. Hey, I've seen those too. I wonder where you get them? But I think it's also a city council person too, isnt it?

OfflineNewbie
User of semicolons.
Male User Gallery

Loc: SoCal
    #6060630 - 09/14/06 12:34 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah people need to break away from this stereotyping.  I don't like the stigma I recieve as a pot smoker.  I do believe that pot is definitely becoming more socially acceptable than it was 5, 10 years ago.  People don't necessarily look at you like you're a bad person now, but they do judge you to be that stereotypical loser pothead.

That's why I like it here :smile:  Nobody assumes shit like that. 

Unless you type one huge block paragraph no caps, no punctuation, grammar, and then ask people on your second post how to find mushroom seeds. :lol:

Edited by Newbie (09/14/06 12:36 PM)

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Kbell]
    #6060634 - 09/14/06 12:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yup! The local city concil members at its finest! I believe they were distributed by promoters of the Green Party... I tell you though, theres nothing like the feeling of seeing 20+ of these signs on a short drive through a notoriously rich-white-republican suburb. Makes you wonder how many closet Green ppl there really are. :crazy2:

--------------------
Amen

Edited by SDP (09/14/06 10:14 PM)

OfflineGSxx83
He, Himself
Male

#6060656 - 09/14/06 12:42 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Unfortunately my freinds, the new generation (ages 13-20)have been so heavily influenced by the propoganda, that they are actually proud to rub in your face, the fact that they dont smoke.

How many of us have heard, "oh i dont need to get high. Im high on life, i dont need that shit, blah blah".

They are literally proud that they are "good little boys and girls".
Its so sad. The world is full of such beautiful knowledge(lets not forget FACTS), and these people will never know.

HELL, i have a freind of mine who is a pharmacist, and this guy was telling me how bad mushrooms are for you. 99% of it was pure bullshit. I was amazed at the crap he beleived.

I responded with 10% of the info i learned from shroomery, and he was blown away.

Edited by GSxx83 (09/14/06 12:45 PM)

OfflineSDP
ChronicAficionado
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6060671 - 09/14/06 12:46 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Reminds me of the classic "I dont NEED drugs anymore.... yea.... im at that point"

What a way to make me feel like a FUCKING DOUCHE for smokin some herb, bitches. :evil:

--------------------
Amen

InvisibleSinbad
Living TheMoment
Male

Loc: Under The Bodhi Tree
    #6060799 - 09/14/06 01:16 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

"I dont need drugs" they say as they sip on their second brewsky.  :smirk:

--------------------

InvisibleStroFun
Repeater

Loc: Mycotopia.net
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Sinbad]
    #6061093 - 09/14/06 02:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Sinbad said:
"I dont need drugs" they say as they sip on their second brewsky.  :smirk:

If thats not the truth i don't know what is!
Fuck that, but until its legal i'll just have to be an alcoholic like my country wants me to be...

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Sinbad]
    #6061156 - 09/14/06 02:35 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, the misinformation campaign is a problem. I know that my view on marijuana was drastically different two years ago... hell, I was against MEDICAL marijuana! (I was in high school by the way, to give you an idea of my age) And I've always been pretty liberal and socially accepting, but I'd been brainwashed by all the anti-drug shit we put up with in schools.

Thankfully, two of the absolutely smartest guys (both graduated 3rd in their class in high school, a year apart) I know turned me on to the truth about weed, and I've realized everything I thought was such bullshit. Thanks to Erowid and other sources I've now been able to find out which substances the government was lying about and which are actually harmful.

I think the problem now is that a lot of the smokers that are making something out of their lives aren't honest about their smoking habits. I am a straight A student in the Honors program at my university of over 46,000 students, and I've smoked every day (up until sunday, taking a break for tolerance and financial reasons) for a long time. I have a good number of friends whose parents smoke, and are living successful lives and have raised a successful family. This is the norm, not the "stoner stereotype".

We need to not hide the fact that we smoke marijuana. It doesn't make you lazy, it doesn't cause amotivational syndrome, and it doesn't turn you into a failure... it just so happens that a good number of failures also like being stoned. I'm honest to anyone who asks (well besides the pigs), I don't care who they are that yes I smoke marijuana, and I do it because I enjoy it and it is harmless. I've gotten into discussions about it and most people that have a problem with me smoking weed know nothing about its actual effects, and are just basing their opinion on the stigma of lazy potheads.

I worked with a girl who had a thing for me for about 5 months, and she was very very anti-weed, but had no basis. I'd listen to her talk about the lazy stoners that always came to work high, and how pot was so awful and shit. I then asked her if she thought I smoked, and she responded theres no way in hell... I pointed out that I smoke everyday. Long story short, I ended up hooking up with her AND she decided to try weed. She isn't a smoker, but she enjoyed the experience and is now way more open minded about pot.

Sorry about the length of the post, I got carried away.

OfflineWyattsTorch
Night Viking

Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Dihnekis]
    #6062485 - 09/14/06 08:10 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

all of this is very true. once people get over the stereotypes hopefully theyll be able to understand that it is not evil. my best friends dad who was a teacher at my gradeschool {im not still in gradeschool if that came out worng} smokes the ganj and hes a perfectly acceptable member of society. He's writing a book about evolution.
Legalize it! And if not i could care less about what happens with alcohol. I hate acohol and i believe it to have 80 thousand times worse adverse affects than weed. Its just these stereotypes that create a mental block against openmindedness.

Maybe someday they'll learn....

--------------------

OfflineRuggo
Grinning Mouth
Male

Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: WyattsTorch]
    #6062720 - 09/14/06 09:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Can anyone remember the philosopher that said "The situation does not make the man, it merely reveals him." Cause I think that applies pretty well to this situation.

Personally, I hate the negative stereotype I'm given as a stoner. I mean, it is nice in the sense that I can completely destroy them, mostly by showing them my 89% average and such (the look on people's faces when they realize that you do drugs and have just kicked their ass at life, and are a generally nicer more happy person than they are is excellent). But the people that piss me off more are the ex-druggies and the drug abusers.

The drug abusers piss me off because they're irresponsible, and deserve the negative stereotype they receive, but they ruin drugs for the rest of us, and give us that bad reputation. I have friends who abuse drugs, like the drummer of my band who smokes an 8th every day and just, never returns to the sober world. And I mean, that would be fine if thats their choice and they can except the consequences without harming the reputation of the substances they're abusing. But they do give us all a bad rep.

Then, the ex-druggies. Oh the ex-druggies. They always think they're so superior eh? Like my friend Sam who recently had a really bad acid trip, and despite the fact that she finally got over her crush on her best friend for the past 2 years and is now finally moving on with her life while on the acid, she's stopped doing drugs. She does the usual "I don't feel the need to do drugs anymore. I can get high off my own life" in that smug voice you can tell she thinks she's better than you in. She says "drugs are bad and not something to mess with" because she's afraid of them, and doesn't want to admit it. She's already forgotten that the acid caused her to get over that crush that was consuming her life, and her life is now much better for it. Her mind is consumed by the fact that she felt shitty for a good 24 hours, and doesn't want to experience that again despite that fact that it could turn her life around for the better, and she won't admit it. I know lots of people like that who pretend they aren't doing drugs for noble reasons, but are really just afraid of them.

As they chug back a beer, like Sinbad mentioned, heh

Invisibledavidiusthebeast
Stranger
Male

#6062726 - 09/14/06 09:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yeah i use to smoke pot to cure depression and other shit then one day i went sober to see how it was, and it was perfectly fine, so now i smoke whenever its convient, i depend on it no longer

OfflineNizzyJones
Fight evil with funk
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere North of Normal
    #6062776 - 09/14/06 09:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

In the mean time - we dreamers have got to stick together and do our part to keep as many people as possible well informed about some of the finer points of life. EDIT: Oh yeah - and the responsible use thereof.

Peace, Pot and Microdots :wink:

Niz

--------------------
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone, may the four winds blow you safely home
Curriculum vapidum (dry herb vapes)

Edited by NizzyJones (09/14/06 09:24 PM)

OfflineRuggo
Grinning Mouth
Male

Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: NizzyJones]
    #6062806 - 09/14/06 09:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Nizzy, so long as it's not in a field during the day while I should be working/studying, I am so down for that :laugh:

I wish I could find people like you guys in real life. One of the reasons my friend pisses me off with this change of lifestyle, was because she was the only person I knew in real life that thought of drugs like you guys all do. Too bad.

Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Ruggo]
    #6062841 - 09/14/06 09:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

im all for smoking pot but people need to be responsible.ive worked with people at a theme park who smoke massive amounts of pot on every break. now imagine next time your on a roller coaster and something goes wrong and these dumb mfers are spacing out and lauging, which button stops the ride again.....? theres is a time and a place and these people were screwing it up for pot smokers everywhere

--------------------

OfflineCelaeno
Stranger
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: kintos]
    #6064487 - 09/15/06 12:00 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I think it's a wonderful drug.

Its amazing how the effects can differ based on the specific strain, wheter it's smoked with tobacco and set and setting.

With the right stuff I become so social, so clearheaded, with the world being so amazingly beautiful, it's just great.
But you need to treat it with respect, many don't do that and use it as a downer getting stoned every f-ing day instead of a (mild) psychedelic. Such a shame.

Offlinecarl
Revolutionary
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: Celaeno]
    #6064506 - 09/15/06 12:05 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Just a little something i thought some people would like. Its somewhat relevant to this post as far as marijuana's image.

Yes I smoke marijuana, however you will not see me in hippie clothing or acting in such a manner that you would expect me as a drug abuser. You see me on the streets every day; I drive a car, live in a house, I'm getting a college education, I'm not a dropout, I haven't killed anyone. But yet, I still am a marijuana user. People trust, respect, and confide in me, they value my opinions and ask for my help daily. I choose only to tell those I trust for the fear that my beliefs might bring me to jail

Yes, these are my beliefs.

The belief that no government has the right to rule my own decisions. Our government has weapons that could destroy life as we know it, yet I am the criminal because I have taken the bounty of the earth and used it in a manner that would effect anyone but myself. Men like Thomas Jefferson once had this belief. I ponder if they too would live in fear today.

The belief that marijuana has change my life for the better, making me more compassionate, understanding, peaceful, and spiritually. Your current laws show hypocrisy by allowing the sick to take harmful and addictive drugs, yet you deem a harmless plant natural to the soils of the earth illegal for use.

The belief that marijuana can be used responsibility to change lives positively. I speak for no other man or women but I assure you it has changed mine for the better.

The belief that money which could be used to better our people is instead used to convict men for having the same beliefs as I. I watch as murderers and rapist roam free after short sentences while people convicted of marijuana sit in their cells with their families left to deal with life’s troubles.

The belief that your agenda far exceeds keeping the people safe. Alcohol and tobacco kill thousands of us each year while no death reports can be pointed solely to marijuana yet all but the last are perfectly legal.

The belief that you have spent the last 70 years spreading lies about this plant to the people. It causes death, it destroys your brain cells, it causes lack of motivation, it will make you insane, and other statements are all proven lies.

You believe in lies, deception, and telling us you know what’s best for us. You have raped the very ideals our founding fathers built this country upon. No longer does the government only serve to protect us from foreign threats. Instead you protect us from the truth and control our liberties. The very same liberties our founding father fought to defend.

Yes, I am a marijuana user. My beliefs make me a criminal but they will not put my spirit in chains. Sadness comes over me knowing I can never express my beliefs in pride without the risk of persecution. But you will not stop us, we will continue to believe.

I am a marijuana aficionado, and this is my manifesto.

Invisibledoctor_gonzo
Go fuckyourselves SanDiego...
Male

Loc: Colorado
    #6064558 - 09/15/06 12:22 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Keep in mind that there is nothing in the Constitution and the original laws of the land that keeps us from being able to ingest things of any nature. It wasn't until the late 1920s that the first drug regulations came in to effect. And that was soley based upon white man's predjuduce against foriegners arriving with new drugs and using these new drugs to seduce white women. In fact, the first laws were only meant to keep foreigners from getting high. BYE.

--------------------
"You're a fully grown man! Of course you don't wanna
hold her hand, you wanna dick her!"
-Grace Slick's
response to The Beatles' "I Wanna Hold Your Hand".

-This pic thanks to aNeway2sayHooray

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: doctor_gonzo]
    #6064806 - 09/15/06 01:45 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I also am annoyed by former drug users that act all superior now that they are "clean". (the ones that are clean from hard drugs that are addictive and destructive are different, I'm glad they have gotten over that stuff, but weed/lsd/shrooms are harmless)

Offlinemateoonfire
Stranger

#6065025 - 09/15/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

its not that smoking pot makes you a loser, its just that most people who already would be a loser smoke pot anyways

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: mateoonfire]
    #6065052 - 09/15/06 03:02 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

The problem with pot's image? Its an angry looking plant with sharp edges and it fuckin stinks.

Seems pretty sinister to me.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
    #6065076 - 09/15/06 03:08 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It stinks?!?! I absolutely LOVE the smell of all weed that is half decent.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

#6065102 - 09/15/06 03:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I was only kidding. That whole post was a joke.

I cant really think of many smells that I enjoy as much.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
You moron. Material is material is material.  No 'thing' fixes any situation.  If anything were so simple we would be living in a much better world.[/quote] <-----the dumbest thing I have ever read in my life.
Thanks shroomery.

InvisibleDihnekis
Stranger
Male
Re: The problem with pot's image. [Re: yageman]
    #6065457 - 09/15/06 04:44 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Ok good, I just read over your post without really thinking, saw that and was shocked. Even nonsmokers I know love the smell.

Offlineyageman
already dead
 User Gallery

#6065476 - 09/15/06 04:49 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

They really need to make an incense that actually smells like dank weed, burned or the natural plant smell. Id buy up the whole stock.

I know people have tried to make such incense, but none of it is very good.

--------------------
[quote]Me_Roy said:
Thanks shroomery.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order