Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Timothy Leary's Mind Mirror for the C64 (1985)
    #6060086 - 09/14/06 11:04 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

http://www.mobygames.com/game/timothy-learys-mind-mirror/adblurbs

TUNE IN, TURN ON, BOOT UP

Mind Mirror is an innovative, dynamic game bringing a whole new concept to "personality" software. Written by Dr. Timothy Leary, famous Harvard psychologist, author and lecturer, Mind Mirror combines the science of Leary's psychometric studies with his own inimitable wit and charm. Part tool, part game, and part philosopher on a disk, Mind Mirror is a provocative game perfect for parties or social gatherings like the popular board games "Scruples" or "Trivial Pursuit".

The Rating Games

Rate any person, place or concept with the numeric rating scales. Mind Mirror evaluates your ratings, gives you a brief text analysis and plots your input on comparison charts called Mind Maps. You can even use the ratings scales to create your own characters and personalities.

Try comparing yourself to your ideal self, yourself to a friend or loved one, even Reagan to Gorbachev. Be creative, have a partner rate you while you rate yourself... you'll be surprised at the differences.

Mind Play & Mind Tools

You can play the game using either Mind Play or Mind Tools. In Mind Play, applications are lighthearted, allowing you to explore topics and celebrities from areas like TV, films, athletics, and more. In Mind Tools, applications are somewhat more serious, focusing on Psychological Insight, Career Productivity, and Education.

Life Simulations

Life Simulations gives you the opportunity to take any of the subjects or personalities used in the rating games on humorous, interactive text odesseys written by Dr. Leary.

You can play dozens of different life simulations in any of four psychological realms. For example, enter the realm of emotional insight and go back to kindergarten to face the class bully. Or try the realm of social interaction and spend an evening in a punk rock bar or a snooty bankers club.

"I think of this game as a thought processor, headware for the computer generation. It allows you to interface with virtually any concept or personality, and helps put your thoughts into digital form. Try playing with friends or loved ones. Gather around the firelight of the computer, and the chances are that you’ll learn more about them in 5 minutes than you ever thought would be possible in a lifetime." - Dr. Timothy Leary

This game was created by Tim Leary, Robert J. M. Dietz, and Peter van den Beemt (the programmers) for Electronic Arts in 1985. It is based on Leary’s book “The Interpersonal Diagnosis of Personality” (1950) which was based on his Doctoral thesis. It was released for several platforms including my favorite the Commodore 64.

C64 emulators and games (including Mind Mirror) can be downloaded from http://www.the-commodore-zone.com . CCS64 and Vice are the two most popular ones. I’m in the process of shopping for a new computer or I would have installed it on my comp already. Once I have my new machine set up it will be one of the first programs loaded on it. If anybody else wants to try it out and tell me what they think, that would be great.

I have a friend who is an artist who is planning on building a series of “shrines” to be located on remote country roads at the edge of the woods and in cow fields. I showed him this and he is considering making it the subject of his first project. I have a couple of old PCs I’m willing to donate to the project which would basically be just Mind Mirror set up like a stand-up arcade game which would be embedded in a small shelter that people could come inside and play. We even talked about setting it up so that people would be given keys to other shrines in the system. Which shrine they were given access to would be determined according to the outcome of their interaction with the Mind Mirror.

Basically, it’s intended to be a kind of spiritual scavenger hunt. Some of the shrines will just be interactive mini-museums (such as the Mind Mirror) and some of them will be vending machines that sell various items. The Mind Mirror would be a “ground level” shrine that anyone could walk in and interact with, whereas some other shrines would require higher and higher levels of clearance. Once the system grows to a significant size he may consider franchising the shrines so that people can “buy into” the system as they move up into higher and higher levels of access.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinekoppie
astral projectile
Male

Loc: cloud hidden
Re: Timothy Leary's Mind Mirror for the C64 (1985) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #6060745 - 09/14/06 03:04 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I've played with it, it's fun to play once but it gets boring real quick.

It has two modes: A quest where you are born and have to live your life according to the personality model you chose which means sitting through long pieces of text while answering the odd multiple choice question, and the mind map, where you have to answer questions on various situations as various personalities, with your answers plotted on a divided circle indicating various aspects of your personality. That part is fun to do.

I don't think I've ever played de C64 version though. The DOS version I tried worked fine in dosbox.

I've linked a zipfile with the DOS game and the manual in pdf format to this post for your enjoyment.

(or if you'd rather want to wade through popups and captchas, you can always get it from Home of the Underdogs yourself :grin:)

Edited by koppie (09/14/06 03:05 PM)

Invisiblesupercollider
superconducting

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Waxahachie
Re: Timothy Leary's Mind Mirror for the C64 (1985) [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #6061104 - 09/14/06 04:24 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Effin cool. Thanks guys.

--------------------
Supercollider? I just met her!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Science and Technology