Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineFractalated
There's no onehome up there...

College Confusion
    #6056533 - 09/13/06 09:20 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I've just started college. I'm hundreds of miles from home and I've got a bunch of really weird feelings right now. I feel homesick for the comforts of home, my parents, and my friends. I don't really know anyone here, and it seems a lot of people already know each other.

I've never really been good at making friends, and now that I'm here and don't know anyone, I've got some weird, almost contradictory feelings. I feel as though I want to go out and meet people and make some new friends. I also feel as though I want to just stick to myself  and my own devices. I'm questioning the value of friendships. Though back home I had a few close friends and really enjoyed spending time with them.

Alot of the people I've meet and seen around campus so far (it's a smaller campus) seem to be concerned with their image and partying. Alot of egotistical types. I mean I do enjoy partying from time to time, but I'm not into getting completely shitfaced with huge parties. I'm more of a relax and drink some beer with good friends kinda guy.

Some of my roommates however, seem to be more of the just get fucked up as much as possible types, and may end up having a lot of parties in our room, which I've got mixed feelings about, since I'm definitely not always in the mood to party. More often I'm in the mood to just chill out.

My roommate seems cool, he smokes and trips from time to time, so we can relate. He already has a girlfriend on campus (I think he's from the area?), so we haven't hung out too much.

Maybe it's just the shock of a totally new world, but I feel very weird. I would really appreciate any words of wisdom or personal experiences or advice for getting through college.

:crazy:

--------------------
"Now that the principalities and the powers stockpile weapons of mass destruction, contaminate the earth with their feverish industry, release floods of images to trigger insatiable desires, treat animals and humans as commodities and functions of a market, the devil must be grinning from ear to ear."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Loc: europe
Re: College Confusion [Re: Fractalated]
    #6056541 - 09/13/06 09:24 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i know what your talking about.

the first semester was something new for me also, not knowing anyone as i also moved for my studies.
ull be surprised, ull get to know couple of people from your courses rather quick
if u do some projects for college with them together.

think of it like that, ur new in a new area, this could be a chance for yourself
to start something over and give things a new beginning.
it worked pretty well for me, good luck :sun:

--------------------
:penis: MONOTUB tek :sun: HEATBOMB tek :penis:

RIP #cultivation! ....can't associate? well FUCK U !

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
Re: College Confusion [Re: ohmatic]
    #6056558 - 09/13/06 09:29 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

man, starting college is always tough. Best way to make friends: go out to a big party (you don't have to get hammered, but make an appearence), then go out back to where everyone is smoking, and ask if anyone would like to join you in smoking a bowl. you might find someone who's really awesome, or you could end up smoking with some real Douche bags, but if you do that once or twice, I promise you'll find a couple people you're compatible with.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Re: College Confusion [Re: ApJunkie]
    #6056690 - 09/13/06 10:40 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

you can also easily find people without having to use drugs :wink:

--------------------

InvisiblePenguarky Tunguin
f n o r d
Male User Gallery
    #6057168 - 09/13/06 01:19 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:

Not in college you can't... :grin:

--------------------
Every mistake, intentional or otherwise, in the above post, is the fault of the reader.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Re: College Confusion [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6057193 - 09/13/06 01:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

:smirk: = : smirk:

heh

--------------------

Offlinebobjones
Male

Loc: Tx
Re: College Confusion [Re: Penguarky Tunguin]
    #6057203 - 09/13/06 01:36 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Penguarky Tunguin said:
Quote:

ohmatic said:

Not in college you can't... :grin:

heh....even though i dont really do 'drugs' anymore, almost all my friends were made through drugs one way or another

--------------------
"Outside of a dog a book is a man's friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read"
-Groucho Marx

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Re: College Confusion [Re: bobjones]
    #6057215 - 09/13/06 01:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

if u consider seratonine to be a drug, all of your friends were made through drugs :blush:

--------------------

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

#6057406 - 09/13/06 02:53 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Hey man, I'm in your exact same situation. Over at my school everybody is just into getting extremely drunk and fucked up. Last night, take for example, my suite mate came in late and ended up throwing up what appeared to be his entire intestines.  :wink: I'm definitely not into the beer drinking scene myself. I trip about once every week and a half or so and smoke fairly often. I haven't found anybody over here similar to me unfortunately. And man, it's a weird feeling. They're are absolutely no hippies over here, just insane egotistical beer drinkers.
And I've been nervous as hell because I have to give a speech for my psychology class in front of 40+ people in a tightly cramped room on tuesday. At least I'll be speaking about the symbiotic relationship between humans and psychedelic mushrooms.
And nobody has heard of Phish over here...... :thumbdown:

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

OfflineFractalated

Re: College Confusion [Re: Feanor]
    #6057474 - 09/13/06 03:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Wow that is a pretty shitty situation, you weren't exagerating.

:crazy:

--------------------
"Now that the principalities and the powers stockpile weapons of mass destruction, contaminate the earth with their feverish industry, release floods of images to trigger insatiable desires, treat animals and humans as commodities and functions of a market, the devil must be grinning from ear to ear."

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6057518 - 09/13/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ohmatic said:

Of course you can, but he said he appreciates the fact that his roomie smokes occasionally, so I figured a good way to meet other people like that would be through pot also. agreed?

OfflineFractalated

#6057573 - 09/13/06 03:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Oh I gotcha now. I am trying to cut back on smoking though. I've been a pretty heavy smoker for the past four years or so, and I've had some good times, but nowadays pot just brings out anxiety in me, and it just hasn't been as fun as it usually is. I'm trying actually to cut down on the use of all intoxicants.

--------------------

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

#6057699 - 09/13/06 04:07 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

shit, then college is really going to be tough for you :p

OfflineThe_Hobbit
Bilbo Baggins
 User Gallery

Loc: The Shire
    #6058020 - 09/13/06 05:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Find some good hobbies. Some good places to chill. I think you can find good friends who do the same stuff asy ou if you know where to look.

--------------------
Smoking my hobbit leaf...
Please keep in mind that I am just a human being. Please read my posts carefully and interpret their meaning for yourself.

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6058109 - 09/13/06 06:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

3rd semester (4th including summer sessions). I met one guy here who is cool (1st sem) he became my dealer and then we became decent friends. He went away though and lives a 30 minute drive or so away from here. We're both busy and don't get a lot of time to hang out.

Then over the summer I met an amazing girl who I could relate to 99%. She kind of flaked out on me.

Other than that, previous hobbies kind of limited the amount of friends I wanted to make. Then when I actually started wanting to make friends and conversing with people, I only ran into douchebags and the party-all-the-time types.

You'll meet people eventually if you put yourself in those situations, they usually won't come to you. Every once in a while, though, they'll stumble upon you or vice versa.

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

OfflineEconomist
in training
 User Gallery

#6058671 - 09/13/06 08:28 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The easiest way to make friends in college is to join some clubs.

I don't mean any club, but something you really care about. Settings where everyone is there because they care about, or believe in, or want to participate in something common are great for meeting people you can make a real connection with. Aside from the obvious "everyone there has something in common" people will tend to agree with each other on more than just what the club is about.

InvisibleFeanor
 User Gallery

Re: College Confusion [Re: Economist]
    #6059038 - 09/13/06 09:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You'll probably find some friends any time soon. A lot of people at my college are still a bit friendless, but remember that school has just started. But if you don't want friends, then don't go out of your way to find some. I have made a couple of friends, but also I like to spend a fair amount of time by myself.

--------------------

May Terence McKenna Live Long

The DMT Chronicles

OfflineKbell
Stranger
Female

Re: College Confusion [Re: Feanor]
    #6059112 - 09/13/06 10:12 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

People like to party a lot at the beginning of the year because for a lot of people they are like 'yay freedom'. It will calm down after a while, you'll meet people.

As for your roommate barfing.. that's gross dude. Keep your shoes out of the common area.

Invisibleohmatic
searcher
 User Gallery

Re: College Confusion [Re: Kbell]
    #6059695 - 09/14/06 02:44 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

seperated rooms !
i could never live on campus, beh, fucking bullshit..

--------------------

OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
    #6062392 - 09/14/06 07:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah I found college to be disappointing last year. Third day and everyone had their superficial clicks and stuff. Drinking wasn't my scene and neither was smoking pot continuously. I only made a few good friends but thats all you need. Be yourself and you'll attract like minded people.

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale