Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions...
    #604992 - 04/11/02 03:25 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions, and Holotropism
A sample of ideas from my personal paradigm

11/24/00
PHL-201

Introduction

In this term paper I shall introduce you to some of the ideas that hold strong to my personal paradigm. Since I was young I have been getting myself into trouble by thinking outside of the limits set forth for me. I always seemed to find some trouble one way or another. I believe that I was the first child to be suspended from my school in my age group. I learned to play chess in the fourth grade. I excelled rapidly; no one save the teacher could beat me. I won all of the tournaments, I even got the chance to play a sixth grader, we stalemated. I remember a time when I was in sixth grade. My parents had decided that possibly there might be a problem with me. It was arranged for me to take some psychological tests. I remember it fondly. I got the chance to interpret the world as I saw it. I was privileged enough to bring inkblots to life. I played games. I solved puzzles. It was cool. I didn?t really know what was going on. I thought all of the kids got to get out of school to play these games. The testing lasted about a week. At the end of the testing I was back in my regular classes. I found out later why I was being tested. It was to try to find out why I was so prone to mischief. As it turned out I scored in the 99th percentile in several different aspects of learning. My mischief was due to boredom.
After my parents got my test results they discussed the possibility of sending me to private school, where the curriculum might be a little more challenging for me. We talked about it. I let them know how I felt. I didn?t want to leave all of my friends. They decided to keep me in public schooling, hoping that junior high might offer me more chances for learning.
Now I am in your class. Behind me lies a background of public schooling. Schooling that neither challenged me nor accepted me. By nature or possibly nurture I have become slightly cynical. Please forgive me for my laziness. I tend to wear a cloak of laziness to disguise my inner workings. Your answerilary echoes ring in my mind. The term answerilary echoes is possibly an extrapolation of a term you used in your lecture on November 21, 2000. I am not sure if you meant ancillary echoes. I take the term answerilary echoes to define the discrepancies or underlying currents due to a pre-conceived notion. I hope at this point to send my own wavelengths of the thought provoking kind, in an attempt to interfere destructively. The departing term of the previous sentence may leave you with apprehension. I chose the words in that sentence specifically. However if you wish to step out of the connotations that breathe life into your paradigm and step into the confines of my paradigm you may find that my terms are less hostile and more interpretive. The term destructive interference is used in physics to represent the result of the conjunction of two like wavelengths with opposite phase in which the resulting amplitude is less. Put in more simple terms, I wish to soften the degree of which you judge my laziness.
I will present the following paper in my own words. All of the ideas are my interpretations of reality. Some of the words I shall use outside of their classical definitions, whenever I do so I shall try to define them in more classical terms. I will use few references other than Webster?s Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary. I hope you will enjoy this original work.

Singularity

The term singularity refers to the infinitely large contained in the infinitely small. Imagine everything you are: your ideas, your mass, your energy, your experiences, your essence, and your existence. Imagine this for everything and call it all. Imagine all contained in nothing, or easier, contained in the smallest particle in your imagination. If arranged properly these words have entrusted you with an idea of singularity.
The Big Bang theory has developed within the last hundred years. With the advent of quantum physics and relativity the idea of a possible big bang came to form. The Big Bang is the idea that at one time there was a singularity and that this singularity exploded with cosmic force. The result of this explosion is our universe. The Big Bang is kind of like those little capsules that you put into hot water. The water melts away the gelatin capsule and allows what once seemed so small to turn into a giant sponge dinosaur. You also have to imagine the dinosaur growing to infinite proportions.
I believe in the Big Bang, not so much because of the possible physical proof being obtained by our worlds leading physicists, mathematicians, and cosmologists, but because it makes sense to me. It is very simple to me. You can?t have nothing. Nothing only exists because we have something. The whole concept of nothingness must owe its understanding to somethingness. Suppose I could break time and existence down to the point when they became. A moment ago there was nothing, a world void of existence, void of time. I imagine a world void of even empty space. Then I realize I?m imagining this world. How can that be? I have structure, I exist. Suddenly nothing is aware of me, at that point nothing becomes self-aware. Suddenly existence explodes, with cosmic force.
One could post the argument that this situation is an impossibility, and rightfully so. How could I even exist if existence is nil? Remove me from the equation. Oh, by the way the person who argued against me cannot exist either, remove them from the equation as well. Pretty convenient if I might say; I hope it helps the point to be understood. As I understand it, even without an observer this void would tend to make itself contrary.
In order to understand singularities, existence, and other ideas that challenge our paradigm, we must step outside of our perception. We must relax our ideas and our expectations, we must realize that anything and everything is possible. We must become transpersonal.
As a corollary to singularity it must be understood that everything can only happen one way. In a singularity-based universe there can only be one way for which the universe can unfold. If one were to imagine the release of a singularity many times, its outcome would always remain the same. If it were to vary at all it would not be a singularity. The only way for it to vary would be if there was some sort of imbalance present. This imbalance is contrary to both the existence and essence of a singularity. This corollary brings us to the idea of free will.

Free Will

Free will is an idea that we all have the ability to make our own decisions and control our own actions without predetermination. I have established that as a consequence of the singularity-natured universe that we live in that there can exist no such thing as free will. I see will as an interpretation of events. One who believes in free will may say, ?We respond to stimuli, we understand the stimuli, therefore we must make a will-based decision on the stimuli.? However I believe that the stimuli in themselves have a predetermined nature. When you mix these various stimuli you get a predetermined reaction. It is this reaction that we label free will. Many psychologists have argued both sides to this puzzle, and to many the jury is still out. I am beginning to feel like a cook. Perhaps my specialty is creating self-willed cookies from non-willed ingredients.
One might ask why we respond differently to the same situations at different times. Why do we choose the Mega Universe Burger at Cosmo?s one day and a year later under the same weather conditions with the same company we choose the Intergalactic Seaweed Salad? It may seem that the conditions are exactly the same, I suggest that the conditions may never be the same, and that it is the difference in conditions that causes us to choose differently. I believe it is this same difference in conditions that allows us to experience time. If the conditions were exactly the same one would act exactly the same, there would be no way to differentiate the experiences from each other. One would in essence be experiencing the same moment in time. Under the best argument for free will one might site the uncertainty principle as the driving force of free will. I would agree except as ones understanding approaches a more omniscient perception. This argument in favor of free will is backed by the blindness created by the uncertainty principle. I find this argument a weak one however, in its base is ignorance.
I believe that most people feel a need to control their lives. Some may have a problem going on with life if such a dismal thought as predetermined existence were true. Instead they may create an image (or subscribe to a paradigm) of free will to help them along. I in no way feel the desire to try to burst their bubble, I am just presenting my perception of the matter.
I feel that free will and my next idea are closely related in their nature. I believe that free will is an aspect of the other; the other being a concept of infinite dimensions.

Infinite Dimensions

I will admit that this next idea is possibly a little far fetched for some, at the same time many of the ideas dominating our prevailing paradigm were at one time in the same boat. It has taken me a while to polish the details of this conceptualization; I hope that I can do justice to it.
I believe in infinite dimensions. I believe that everything is possible. At any moment an asteroid could destroy the Earth. At nearly every moment an asteroid does destroy the Earth. We don?t perceive this happening because we are associating with a continuum in which this particular event has not happened. I imagine a fractal. This fractal resembles a tree. Its structure represents possibilities. In general the higher you go, the more branches and twig you can see, hence the more possibilities. The Big Bang is the plane on the tree that represents the ground. The roots are also part of this possibility structure; they are the possibilities in negative time. The distance from the ground represents our concept of time. This tree now slowly starts to move. You can see every part of the tree changing until it becomes a completely different tree. This new tree then transforms to another. The tree is now changing more rapidly. Eventually the tree metamorphoses so fast that it appears black. This blackness represents the infinite possibilities of existence. Now this tree begins to expand, at its edge you can see the limbs and twigs still changing. This tree expands beyond comprehension. This is just one aspect of the conceptualization that I use to understand my idea of infinite dimensions.
Now I will bring you to an omniscopic representation of infinite reality. Omniscopic is a term that I use to represent the combination of macroscopic, microscopic, and everything in between. I hope you have some familiarity with mathematics. I will use a parabola in the form y=x2. This parabola is confined within a sphere. As one varies the coefficient of x, one can come up with an infinite number of graphs, all of them representing a parabola. If you were to look at two parabolas with marginally varying x coefficients they would seem identical at the vertex but would vary more the further away from the vertex you looked. This similarity yet differentiability represents my continuum of existence. At any time an aspect of my existence can break away from another aspect of the same. Now take the vertex of this parabola and place it at any location inside of the sphere so that the parabola opens in any and all directions. By placing this vertex at any location within the circle and allowing it infinite variability one can completely represent a solid sphere. I believe that the solid sphere represents complete existence, and that the paths of the parabolas represent small aspects of our existential continuums. It is infinite variability that lends its existence to us so that we may experience life by traveling these parabolic paths of existence.
I will relate my perception of time to the previous mathematical analogy. Time is appreciated through the variability of the infinite hyperbola. As the coefficient of x is varied only slightly, the whole hyperbolic graph varies only slightly. It is the perceived difference of these different graphs that allow us to acknowledge the event of time. Only the differences in situation and the combination of the different existences possible create a time effect. The way that we associate time is such that situations with the most in common are seen as sequences. A moment ago is only a small variation of now. We are capable of perceiving only a small aspect of time. I believe that there are different understandings of time depending on the perception and interpretation of events. I define an event as being the different combinations of possibilities within existence. There may be another me in another dimension that experiences time in a different organizational pattern. To the other me the phenomenon of time is just as concrete as the time that I perceive in what could be called our (yours and mine) common existence.
So now I must reconcile two ideas for you, if not myself. If I am to assert that we do not have free will and also that we have potential to experience infinite reality would not that assertion lead to oxymoronic and hypocritical principles in my thinking? I shall reconcile this seemingly disparaging confluence of ideas. Imagine if I were to ride on a sort of train track in an automobile-cart on which the tracks were invisible. There are trees along my path. I have control of my automobile. I swerve to the right and then to the left. I split between two large trees. I then look over at you; you are also on a track in a similar situation except that I can see your tracks. You can also see my tracks. To each other we look ridiculous. To imagine that I actually think that I am in control, and you think that you are in control. All along, the tracks were set in the ground. It was just circumstances that led us both to steer in the same directions as the tracks. I imagine that there are an infinite number of tracks, and an infinite number of myselfs. It is only my blindness to these tracks that allow me to think that I am in control at any given time.
This past discussion brings me to one of my most favorite paradigmatic samples. Holotropism. By mixing these various samples together and adopting an idea from Stanislav Grof?s book The Holotropic Mind, I will complete my smorgasbord of tantalizing and philosophical ramblings.

Holotropism

Holotropic is a word coined by Stanislav Grof in his book The Holotropic Mind. Until further I can in no way accept any credit for this idea except that I understand it. The representation of this idea as set forth is my own interpretation of it. It has been a year since I read his book, I will not be quoting anything from his book directly other that the portrayal of his idea.
Holotropism is an idea related directly to holographs. There is an aspect of holographs that allows one to take any part of the graph, separate it, and still be able to see the graph in its entirety. Grof has taken this idea and applied it towards reality and the mind. Simply put, in principle one can take any sample from reality and reconstruct reality in its whole from the sample. Since everything that we know is in some way quantifiable, everything must have an effect. If one was capable, one could understand these effects and in theory be able to tell what will happen when a butterfly flaps its wings in China. Physicists do this to some degree already. By understanding certain physical aspects of reality they are able to predict both recent past and future events. If I understood optics, magnetics, electrics, gravitation, and other physical studies to a certain degree I would be able to understand the following scenario. Suppose one had an open box. Inside this box is an arrangement of colorful and reflecting anodized metal spheres. I have access to examine only one of these spheres. If I understood the way light bounces off of these spheres, I might be able to obtain both the color and distance of some of the other spheres. If I understood the interaction of the magnetic and gravitational fields these balls have on each other I would be able to obtain the location of more of the spheres. If I understood the interaction of the electrons in the spheres and the space around the spheres I would be able to obtain even more information regarding the location of the other spheres. Finally, with enough of the combined knowledge of all of these sciences I would be able to understand their exact relation and arrangement. That is a drop in the bucket of the holotropic theory.
I understand that one can think of knowing something by what it is; also one can understand something by what it isn?t. For in a limited aspect something is what it is not. This is also another aspect of holotropism. I am who/what I am because I am who/what I am not.
Here?s the finale. I am Stanislav Grof, I wrote his book. Stan ate my breakfast today. I am everything. I am nothing. I am nothing contained in everything. I am you, your class, and your world. Conversely, you are me, the other students in the class are me, the air you breathe is me. You do not exist. You are only a figment of the reality I am. In denying your existence I am also denying mine. For without you, I myself cannot exist, and that applies for my ideas, my understanding, and my essence. We are all wholly part of each other. We are all a dichotomy of existence, inseparable, indivisible, and afflicted to try to understand our existence through exclusion.

Conclusion

So I sit and wonder, what comes next. What is the next level? Shall I simplify my ranting to better suit the needs of those around me, or do I increase my understanding to enlighten the people around me. I pray. I am not religious. I feel spiritual sometimes. I pray for wisdom, truth, and understanding. Lately I?ve also been praying for a sense of humor. I feel it will all come soon enough.
I hope that in this paper I have proven my ability as a philosopher. I hope that I have shown you that I have an adequate understanding of: paradigm, existence, continuum, free will, singularity, dimension, and reality.

Danke und aufwiedersehen,

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemr crisper

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: Joshua]
    #605234 - 04/11/02 10:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

that was a fucking good read, joshua.
sorry, i'm not so eloquent
thanks

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
    #605549 - 04/11/02 03:38 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

very interesting but there is a contradiction within your paper, if singularity exsists as you say than how can an asteroid be hitting the earth at every given moment, alternate physical demensions could not exsist with singularity, if free will does not exsist as you say then that supports your theory of singularity, obviously. you brought up some very interesting points for everyone here to consider and mold, and that is what this site is all about. I will share my theories later, right now i have to go to work and continue the illusion that is humanity.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

Edited by cHeMiCaLbLuE (04/11/02 03:40 PM)

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: cHeMiCaLbLuE]
    #605577 - 04/11/02 04:19 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Asteroids have hit the Earth and will hit the Earth. If you do away with the constraint of time, these occurrences are simultaneous to all of existence. This is what I speak of. The ideas I speak of go against our paradigm of understanding. I do not expect others to grasp this idea, much less myself in its totality. Each time I trip, I seem to gain an alternative understanding of existence. All of these ideas come together to form an understanding of existence for me. Some of them are contrary, but dichotomy is the freedom that I have learned to accept.

This same dichotomy is what allows the idea of singularity to exist; the infinitely macro contained in the infinitely micro. All of time compressed to the point at which it ceases to exist.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Edited by Joshua (04/11/02 05:02 PM)

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
    #605588 - 04/11/02 04:34 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

At one point you talk about looking at this all in a fractal sense.

Let me is if I have a good grasp on this. Some people have trouble with the idea of infinity and they continue to view it as an endless line of something, which might make sense except for the fact that once you put some sort of object in the picture you have given something a parameter therefore nothing in the situation can be infinite because the object you gave parameters to is taking up space.
? So from that I get more of an understand of the Everything/Nothing concept.
? I see Everything as just an endless void of a soul that has and endless amount of subjective dreams within itself -Us being the viewers of each subjective dream I include animals and insects and probably trees and mountains too?..

Now I get to the fractal thing? Today I was crossing the street and a jeep passed in front of me. With the fractal thing people might just see and endless line of my selves crossing the street as some of Me get hit or some of Me pass in front or behind the jeep.

But when I think about the fractal concept I get more of an overwhelming emotion or an awe inspiring emotion where I start to see just how?? I guess endless or overflowing the amount of chances are. Like I said I think best when I imagining visual pictures, so I?m seeing something like myself in trails and then all those endless trails do their own version of crossing the street?and then I start to think about how each of those beings view their own time frame?. There isn?t a past or a future there is just that endless moment of now that will always be and never goes away ? I think about a finger pushing down on water without breaking the surface tensions so it never really touches the sky above nor the water bellow?but in a sense its touching everything?.

I guess the question is do you go as far as to at lest laugh at the fact that some of me might turn into a dinosaur and eat the car or I might disintegrate my own particles and then reform them just beyond the car as it passes? Cuz then I wonder about the fact that one of these people has to go completely crazy and then another one lives the perfect life and so on??.

--------------------
"...and to the left where up is down now stand a zebra made of shapes of me and silver and the sun so bring no guilt with you up above the flatline let's just hit the sky exploding into one." [ HUM ]

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
    #605592 - 04/11/02 04:36 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

dicotomy is the freedom that I have learned to accept

I think that about says it.........

--------------------
"...and to the left where up is down now stand a zebra made of shapes of me and silver and the sun so bring no guilt with you up above the flatline let's just hit the sky exploding into one." [ HUM ]

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: SofaJesus]
    #605622 - 04/11/02 05:23 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I think you grasp what I am trying to explain pretty well. Yes, I do laugh at the possiblity that you may turn to a dinosaur and eat a car. Or I might disappear into nothingness at any moment. I do believe that we, our essence, are crazy. We in our lives must be imagined as crazy to our crazy counterparts. It's all about perspective. How does one perceive sanity?...according to an accepted paradigm in our realm. This same paradigm may or may not hold the same in a different frame.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Edited by Joshua (04/11/02 05:26 PM)

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
    #605670 - 04/11/02 06:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

From reading this thread I think I formulated an idea of what infinity means. Infinite anything is an ugly concept, because how can something never end? Well, I don't think anything ever ends (or becomes infinite), but rather our picture of reality is missing a dimension or two. Imagine our 3D world with time. If we collapse the time dimension, an infinite amount of things happen at once. However, this "infinity" is resolved it we add the dimension of time. Likewise, if we collapse one dimension of the 3D world, everything is infinite in 2 dimensions. So I imagine that if something appears infinite (like a singularity, which has infinite mass in zero volume), that just means there is another dimension opening up that we can't see. I don't know if this makes any sense, but it does to me right now.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
    #605679 - 04/11/02 06:44 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

There isn?t a past or a future there is just that endless moment of now that will always be and never goes away

I like this idea a lot. I'm visualizing a rock sticking up out of a river. It remains stationary while the water (time) flows past it unabated. Time is just the medium we are living in. There is nothing we can do about what is upstream or downstream, so the only thing to do is sit and enjoy.

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #605691 - 04/11/02 07:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Very interesting read Joshua.

I have thought about a concept of free will that might be something to ponder. Suppose, hypothetically speaking, a physicist had a correct and gargantuant formula that contained all of the information and properties of the universe even down to every (using the quantum physics model as an example) last electron rotating around every last atom in the universe. He would be able to predict anything from this formula by calculating how things would react, starting at the subatomic level, process by process of every interaction in the universe. Through knowing each and every electron movement, etc., etc., couldn't someones thoughts and actions be calculated?

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: SoulTech]
    #605782 - 04/11/02 08:54 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

This is an excerpt from the previous paper:

If one was capable, one could understand these effects and in theory be able to tell what will happen when a butterfly flaps its wings in China. Physicists do this to some degree already. By understanding certain physical aspects of reality they are able to predict both recent past and future events. If I understood optics, magnetics, electrics, gravitation, and other physical studies to a certain degree I would be able to understand the following scenario. Suppose one had an open box. Inside this box is an arrangement of colorful and reflecting anodized metal spheres. I have access to examine only one of these spheres. If I understood the way light bounces off of these spheres, I might be able to obtain both the color and distance of some of the other spheres. If I understood the interaction of the magnetic and gravitational fields these balls have on each other I would be able to obtain the location of more of the spheres. If I understood the interaction of the electrons in the spheres and the space around the spheres I would be able to obtain even more information regarding the location of the other spheres. Finally, with enough of the combined knowledge of all of these sciences I would be able to understand their exact relation and arrangement. That is a drop in the bucket of the holotropic theory.

Is this what you are talking about?

SkaMariaPastora-

I agree regarding the dementions collapsing. I will go into it some more when I have some time

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: SoulTech]
    #605785 - 04/11/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Well the uncertainty principle pretty much says that the present state of the universe can only be known to a certain preciseness. There are essentially two quantities that must be known about every particle in the universe, its position and its momentum (mass times velocity). It says that the uncertainty of the position times the uncertainty of the momentum has to be greater than or equal a certain value (planck's constant or something). The way to find these things out it to observe the particle by bouncing light waves off it. The shorter the wavelength of light the better you can determine its position, but with the shorter wavelength comes higher energy, which effects the velocity of the particle in ways that cannot be predicted. Therefore there is only so much you can know about each particle. Even if we knew all we could know about every particle in the universe, I bet we still couldn't predict the weather next week.

But whether somebody that is not bound by the laws of physics could know everything there is to know (like God), then would past and future be completely predictable? Probably. And what would that mean about time travel? You can simply be able to create what the world would be like in the past or future. That's a weird though.

OfflineSoulTech
Automated
    #605798 - 04/11/02 09:14 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yea my bad.

Peace.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
    #605799 - 04/11/02 09:14 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Finally, with enough of the combined knowledge of all of these sciences I would be able to understand their exact relation and arrangement.

Yeah that describes the same thing as what I just did. Except that these particles are not spheres, they are vastly complex subatomic particles of whose behavior we understand very little, and by the uncertainty principle we will never be able to know everything. But maybe there is some way of getting information about particles that we haven't discovered yet.

Edited by skaMariaPastora (04/11/02 09:18 PM)

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
    #605905 - 04/11/02 11:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

asteroids have hit and will hit the earth. If you do away with the constraint of time, these occurences are simultaneous to all of exsistance.

true, but, universal time cannot be done away with for the sun will set and the moon will rise, as long as that remains, so does time, all we have done as a society is brake that down further, we call them years, months, days, hours , and minutes. this brings up an important theory that alternate physical demensions may in fact not exsist, contrary to my past belief.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #606024 - 04/12/02 02:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you do away with the constraint of time, these occurrences are simultaneous to all of existence.
Huh?

If you do away with the constraint of space, these occurences all occur in the same place.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

#606043 - 04/12/02 02:25 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

According to your paradigm universal time cannot be done away with. I believe that our thoughts can transcend these limitations. A paradigm is a sytem of beliefs and structural explainations for our perception. I suggest to understand these things we must not limit our thinking by our paradigm limitations. Back in the day there was a time in which our universe was thought of in a very different way. I can imagine the limitations of that paradigm and then compare to our current paradigm. In certain aspects our current thoughts transcend the thoughts of old. Information that is common knowledge now was not even thought of then and would seem incomprehensable to the folk of old. The information in my paper is not intended as any sort of proof, it is merely a paper written to spark the imagination. I use analogies to try to paint a picture or to clarify an idea. My analogies can be faulty if taken as actuality; actuality is not their intent. Once again I find myself limited by my experience and my inability to describe my experience.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: Swami]
    #606051 - 04/12/02 02:39 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I agree. By removing variables in our understanding of reality, we can glimpse into what I would call "other dimensions". These dimensions are just alternate existences.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #606143 - 04/12/02 06:49 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If we collapse the time dimension, an infinite amount of things happen at once. However, this "infinity" is resolved it we add the dimension of time.
so, with the time dimension, in every given moment a finite amount of things happen. this implies a finite universe for one, but if with the collapsing of time, infinite things happen at once, then the time has to be infinite. which, may mean that there is another hidden dimension if we are to say that everything is finite... or not?

Likewise, if we collapse one dimension of the 3D world, everything is infinite in 2 dimensions
i don't really get that, how can an object be infinite by one dimension collapsing, can you explain it a bit?

what does collapsing a dimension actually means? if not to stop being perceivable by someone then what?

if someone only perceives only 2 dimensions, does it mean that he would think of a 3d object as infinite? i don't think so.

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: raytrace]
    #606446 - 04/12/02 01:04 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

You wrote ----if someone only perceives only 2 dimensions, does it mean that he would think of a 3d object as infinite? i don't think so

-- I wonder. I'm not well read in these subject -- so hopfully someone could go over this question

--------------------

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#606465 - 04/12/02 01:24 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

consider you are an entity that can only percieve 2 dimensions. say you can go back and forth, left and right but not up and down, for you up and down does not exist.

now, if you are on the surface of a sphere, without knowing that it is actually a 3d object, you could run all over it and if your shoes would leave blue marks, eventually you would understand that the sphere is finite (after some time the sphere would be blue)

allright, it may not be the best example...

Edited by raytrace (04/12/02 01:27 PM)

Anonymous

#606479 - 04/12/02 01:33 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Have you read "Flatland" by Edwin A. Abbott?

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
    #606482 - 04/12/02 01:36 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

No No -- It was a great example

-- I'm trying to figure out if our version of infinte is just completely off base in the end... But when you look at joshua's paper you see that we could be off about everything no matter how much we think we gain in knowledge

I like to think of a little guy running all around a sphere for a few years... stopping and leaning forward to catch some breath and he says to himself, "Fuck... this place is infinte" --- then he starts running some more ....

--------------------

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: ]
    #606485 - 04/12/02 01:38 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

actually no, is it any good?

OfflinePachanguero
Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #606492 - 04/12/02 01:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

From what I recall, the Uncertainty Principle of quantum mechanics tells us that we cannot simultaneously know the location and direction of a subatomic particle. The measurement of one collapses the probability matrix and changes the other.

We do live in a universe with no less than 10 distinct dimensions. Physicists suggest that while 3 of these comprise "3d space" as we know it, and the 4th is probably time, the remaining 6 or 7 dimensions are "tightly rolled up into a very small space".

With that in mind, though I'm not very well versed in superstring theory, I hypothesize that it merely *appears* from our perspective that these extra dimensions are so tightly coiled and rolled-up. For example: a sheet of paper looked at on its side appears as a straight line, a string viewed on end is a singular point, and a cube when viewed head-on is a square. So perhaps, from our perspective in "3d spacetime", these extra dimensions that appear to be "rolled up into a small space" are really just as "infinitely" large as any x-y-z 3d-space axis, but are set at right- or nearly-right-angles to our own perceived 3d world.

If the above is true, it would certainly provide another explanation for Einstein's "spooky action at a distance" of subatomic particles.... Physicists have broken apart neutrons into neutrino pairs. Then, when one of the pairs is diverted, re-routed, or changed in some manner, a corresponding change in the other particle is observed, regardless of the distance between them. Well, what if they really were the same particle, and the energy used to smash the original neutron into neutrino "pairs" simply shifted the neutron along one of the "invisible" dimensions that appear so tightly coiled? I think things could be worked out with some creative mathematics to show (assuming all the above to be reasonably accurate) that both matter and energy are conserved.

Just my 2 cents.

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

Re: Singularity, Free Will, Infinite Dimensions... [Re: Pachanguero]
    #606509 - 04/12/02 02:01 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

assuming these extra dimensions we cannot percieve, couldn't a hypothetical being that is able to percieve them and move around them, really hide from us but actually watching and interacting with us without us understanding what it really is and assigning its actions to maybe irrelevant things?

that was a large sentence, sorry...

OfflinePachanguero
    #606515 - 04/12/02 02:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"assuming these extra dimensions we cannot percieve, couldn't a hypothetical being that is able to percieve them and move around them, really hide from us but actually watching and interacting with us without us understanding what it really is and assigning its actions to maybe irrelevant things? "

Yes. I suppose it is also entirely possible that that there are beings that exist within some (all) of these "right-angled" dimensions that have littel or no perception of our existence. Moreover, one could also suppose that the ideas of "God(s)", angels, hell, heaven, etc. all exist, at least in part, within these other dimensions. Truly it would be interesting to discover that the human soul or spirit was really a being existing in these extra dimensions who, somehow, merges with us and follows our travels through life, learning. An interesting idea. I wonder, though, if science can ever really know the true answer. For if these extra dimensions are only known through mathematical discovery, how, then, can we truly explore them and discover what lies beyond if we have no direct influence into or out of them?

I think too much on the toilet. It's true. :P

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#606524 - 04/12/02 02:19 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

maybe at some point we will be able to clearly identify these other dimensions and move through them...or maybe people in the past have done this...then maybe not

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
    #606553 - 04/12/02 02:49 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

You wrote -----"assuming these extra dimensions we cannot percieve, couldn't a hypothetical being that is able to percieve them and move around them, really hide from us but actually watching and interacting with us without us understanding what it really is and assigning its actions to maybe irrelevant things? "

Man if someone is watching me in the shower I'm gonna be pissed!!!!!
All those times you picked your nose or picked your ass and their it was just standing in front of you laughing the whole time...........

I

--------------------

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
    #606569 - 04/12/02 03:21 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

What a post. Hit me like a ton of bricks. So much to say. The whole introduction sounded like my life. Trouble, Chess, Tested. however i then went to a private school. I did the best in math, testing at a college junior level in 6th grade. The other subjects wernt as great. I was bored, got in trouble.

As far as free will goes, i dont think you can say there is or isnt. Its just like everything...its pretty hard to think of 'nothing'
The way we react has to do with climate, people, time, past events, everything. It is one of hte many forulas that make up life. When you say "we dont have free will" people usually are thinking "we we were specifically made to do this and this???" but thats not the case. If that were the case, and we were also infinate, God ust have spent a long time programming us. On the other hand, specific sets of rules, wich you said come into play will make it easier. People dont need to believe it, but its already proven. Cause and Effect. Free will cannot exist, because if it did, we would have to pay absolutly no attention to other people, places, or ideas. If we did, we would have to come up with copletely random answers to questions, and responses to situations wich would make hte world a evil twisted place with no order because people would be insane. I dont have a copy of what you wrote on the screen, but i do think you said "free will can not exist" wich is right, but not to be confused with "we do n ot have free will"....because 'free will' is not defined. Same as existance again, it cannot be comprehended. :[[[[

Ok. Now that i have just repeated what he said in 1 line...in 50 and made no sense whatsoever, ihave a question.

Is it just me being paranoid, or are things coming along?

raytrace asked if we could identify dimensions and move through them....There are TV shows, and movies about this. The One is one of the newer ones. Its not just this, but diffrent things that make me wonder if people in general are picking up on the bigger picture. We may be at war, and in the middle of political scandals, and that is what worries us. We think that everything is the same...but what about in everyones heads, althoguht caught up with the everyday taks they need to do, do you think we are actually evolving, and stuff? It seems so to me, however after i do alot of drugs i think that everyone is sharing thoughts with me. I dunno.

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
    #606579 - 04/12/02 03:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Pachanguero-
Very good thoughts, I think you explained very well what I was thinking of. Physics is getting more and more evidence of these extra dimensions, always at the very small scales where ordinary laws start to fall apart. However, I don't think we can ever really image what >3 dimensions is like. "Tightly roled up into a very small space" is the best phrase we can come up with, but its probably far from the truth. Our brains are suited to survival in 3 dimensions, and a 4th has no meaning to us, even though it is just at "right angles" to our 3. Just like the creature living in 2 dimensions on a sphere could never comprehend what is at right angles to its existence. Maybe (I hope) at death we can comprehend the true nature of reality that exists outside the realm of our immediate survival on this planet.

Do you think someday far in the future we could develop a technology that could travel in these dimensions? It would certainly require a lot more understanding of superstrings than we currently have, but its probably possible.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules