RCMP confirms its involvement in freeing three Western hostages Last Updated Thu, 23 Mar 2006 19:21:04 EST CBC News
The RCMP have confirmed to CBC News that they were involved in freeing three Western peace workers held hostage in Iraq, but neither the prime minister nor the Department of National Defence is commenting on details of the dramatic rescue.
After almost four months of captivity, Canadians James Loney, 41, and Harmeet Singh Sooden, 32, were freed along with Briton Norman Kember, 74, during a raid by multinational forces northwest of Baghdad on Thursday morning.
No shots were fired and no kidnappers were captured in the operation.
An RCMP spokesman told CBC the force had officers in Iraq but gave no details of their role.
"I can confirm we were there, working in collaboration with DND, Foreign Affairs and our international partners," Sgt. Martin Blais told CBC News.
In a midday address to public service workers in Ottawa, Prime Minister Stephen Harper said Canadian agencies had been involved on the ground, but he didn't offer any specifics on whether Canadian commandos had played a role.
The news came as both a shock and a relief for the hostages' families and supporters.
Loney's brother Ed said he and his wife were telephoned about 1:00 a.m. local time in Vancouver. They said they were afraid they were dreaming.
"I was elated," Ed Loney said.
"I was so happy that this is resolved but I was even more ecstatic to know that he was alive and he's going to be home soon."
Details of the release itself are still emerging. Pentagon sources have told CBC News that Canadian special forces were involved, but it's not clear who took part or what their role might have been.
There have been reports that Canada's top secret commandos, Joint Task Force 2, had been working in Iraq. It's believed they were working in tandem with Britain's elite Special Air Service (SAS).
INDEPTH: JTF2
Ayub Nuri, a reporter for Global Radio News in Iraq, said Canadian police agents had been involved in the operation.
The Department of National Defence has not commented on the reports.
Right now 43 foreigners are still being held in Iraq. That number includes Canadian Rifat Mohammed Rifat.
PM offers thanks
Harper offered thanks to "a number of Canadian departments and agencies that worked on this delicate operation with their British, American and Iraqi counterparts and played an important role in ensuring the success of this operation."
"You did excellent work and Mr. Loney and Mr. Sooden asked me to thank you for the assistance," said Harper, who spoke to the two former hostages earlier in the day.
The two men are expected to return home to Canada in the next two or three days, CBC has learned.
Harper refused to say whether JTF2 is operating in Iraq, citing national security. However, he did say it should come as no surprise that Canadian troops are in Iraq.
"There have been a small number of Canadian military personnel embedded in American and allied units. That's been the case since the beginning of the war. Nothing has changed on that front," he said.
The prime minister said he didn't know exactly when the raid would happen, but did have some indication days ago that it was in the works.
Harper also thanked "our British and American allies" for their "exceptional" role in the rescue.
RCMP involved, said Straw
While making the announcement of the hostage's release earlier Thursday in London, British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw said the RCMP were involved in the raid northwest of Baghdad.
"The operation included representatives from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, other agencies from Canada – and they did a terrific job – as well as the Americans and British staff and those from Iraq," said Straw.
Straw said other "Canadian personnel" had played a role.
"It's the result of a team effort between military and civilian personnel, including Canadian personnel whom I was able to meet," he said.
http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/23/canadian_role060323.html
|