Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Button Mushroom.
    #6041355 - 09/08/06 01:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Found these popping up all over under conifers;

They have a cream colored spore print; and when I take the stem from the cap, the cap ejects a type of white milky latex. Suggesting possible lactarius. They smell, good; however most specimens I looked at were infected from some parasites, slugs, and these other black bugs. They look delicious though.

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
Re: Button Mushroom. [Re: snoot]
    #6041402 - 09/08/06 01:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think probably the Deceptive Milky, Lactarius deceptivus.

I once tasted one and was astonished at how hot it was, like biting into a fresh habanero, only not so tasty. If you decide to taste a piece have some water on hand.  :evil:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Button Mushroom. [Re: shroomydan]
    #6041435 - 09/08/06 01:40 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Really? Damn, at first I cut some up cleaned up in the woods , started heading back then noticed the milky substance and figured they were nothing tasty. Hot huh? Thats interesting. Do you know whats in it that makes it hot? Perhaps a fungi that contains a sort of capsaicin? or something.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineApJunkie
part-time Ninja
Male

Loc: Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:Loc:
    #6041445 - 09/08/06 01:44 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

seriously? that's really cool. I didn't know mushrooms could be spicy, but that really makes me want to try those.

I'm also curious as to what makes it spicy... let's google it.

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
    #6041488 - 09/08/06 02:04 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It isn't capsicum, but something else not so pleasant. The interesting thing is that there is a several second delay between the first mild taste to the intense burning. If you move it around in your mouth until you taste the heat it will keep intensifying even after you spit it out. Its a good trick to play on not so savvy friends (Hehe). Several species of Russula and Lactarius have this effect and none are considered truly toxic.

To avoid the highest level of tongue burn, spit out the mushroom well before you feel any tingling. I remember trying to distinguish edible shrimp russulas from other similar species by small nibbles. I got burned over a dozen times and couldn't feel my tongue before I was done.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #6041560 - 09/08/06 02:39 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

According to researchers, the compounds causing the acrid reaction are sesquiterpenes.

If eaten raw they cause severe gastrointestinal irritation, and cases have been seen with specimens that have been well cooked or pickled. Some of these species are eaten in eastern Europe after special preparation, but they are not recommended here.

The burning reaction from some specimens can last for hours. As Workman mentioned, the burning will continue to increase for quite awhile after you've spit the piece of mushroom out.

There is also a case of poisoning where an individual tasted and spit out fragments from a large number of these mushrooms in a day.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineWorkmanV
1999 Spore War Veteran
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Button Mushroom. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #6041585 - 09/08/06 02:49 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:

There is also a case of poisoning where an individual tasted and spit out fragments from a large number of these mushrooms in a day.

He must have been tougher than me. My tongue felt fat like after an injection of novocaine which caused me to stop trying. And I made sure I didn't swallow any residue with frequent spitting. Of course it may not have even been the same species.

--------------------
Research funded by the patrons of
The Spore Works
Exotic Spore Supply

My Instagram
Reinvesting 25% of Sales Towards Basic Research and Species Identification :amanitajar:

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Button Mushroom. [Re: Workman]
    #6041643 - 09/08/06 03:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

DAMN! I guess I'll pass on that, even though I'm a big fan of spice. Thanks for the info.

--------------------

- Simone de Beauvoir -

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder