Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
What do you do to make the world a better place?
    #603318 - 04/09/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I like to think (and I do get the impression) that the majority of people on these boards "get it" a lot more than the general population. Maybe it has to do with mushroom ingestion, which has a way of cutting through the bullshit of everyday life. There are a large number of people here who realize the futility of collecting material possession and struggling for power and control, and who see the need for peace, love, and cooperation in the years ahead.

I am approaching the point in my maturing where I will soon stop training for life and actually enter the real world. So I'm wondering what you guys do to make the world a better place. Does it involve your professional lives, personal lives, something else?

I'm kind of looking for direction in my own life. One thing I would really like to do with my life is to just travel the world exploring and experiencing what it has to offer. I would also really like to have a shack in the middle of the woods where I live in peace and quiet away from modern society. However, something about this strikes me as selfish. If I understand what needs to be done to aid mankind in its evolution, shouldn't I try to apply and spread that knowledge rather than living hedonistically? I was fortunate enough to have the means and ability to attend a great school and get a great scientific education, so shouldn't I use that to increase mankind's understanding of the universe? On the other hand, do you think it is enough to simply understand and practice what you understand on a deep level? Perhaps your wisdom will effect the sum total of the collective consciousness, or at the very least it will spread through your personal relations and friends and lead to positive change that way.

What are your opinions on our duty (or lack thereof) to the human race?

Edited by skaMariaPastora (04/09/02 12:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #603350 - 04/09/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I believe in God.......the God Who is called "The Ancient of Days".........The God Who said He is known as .......I Am.......

I think that says volumes......if you "are" and you are in the right......that's enough........no explainations necessary, nothing to prove, just truth.....

I think as humans we aspire to the greatest levels of truth that we understand. Some don't "get it" meaning the way the universe operates.....while others do "get" more of the truth and they display this in their words and actions. Both believer and sceptic think that they know the truth......both know parts of the greater whole but no human knows it all. We fall short of perfection and omnipotence being human.

But at the same time many souls become "hungry" for truth and they begin to grasp more and more of the actual "truth".....what I have come to know as the .....I Am.....

When this happens.....this soul becomes a light in the darkness of "unknowing".....a lamp to those around them. A kind of beacon that shows the way......

I believe that a mother caring for a child can be this beacon. I also believe that a leader of a nation can also be this beacon. One is lowly, the other exalted....but both are serving equally the......I Am..... or truth......

I believe every soul has a purpose in this life. Every one will at times be the child who is cared for, the mother doing the caring, the hermit in the woods, and the stranger who comes to town who is viewed with suspicsion because of his ways. In searching out these different roles, many men find that they are placed in positions where they have more and more influence over others. Some use this power wisely and some use it unwisely...thus showing their true intent....

What is the way?

Start where you are. Bloom where you are planted. Do what you can do. Help who you can help. If this path leads you to the woods in isolation....then so be it! If it leads you to political office then so be it! Any obligation to mankind will be filled as you follow your heart.......

Jeremy

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #603374 - 04/09/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I bury my head in my hands and think about better days.

--------------------

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Revelation]
    #603383 - 04/09/02 02:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Come on Revelations... I want more from you....Everyone needs more from everyone else

"cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion" - TOOL

YOU know what they mean -- burying your head puts you into greater contact with the problem not the truth.............

--------------------
"...and to the left where up is down now stand a zebra made of shapes of me and silver and the sun so bring no guilt with you up above the flatline let's just hit the sky exploding into one." [ HUM ]

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
    #603399 - 04/09/02 02:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Revelation kinda has a point there, but then again it makes me feel better to be able to talk about it than just keep it inside. life i relate to the greatest sherlock holmes mystery, hence truth comes through speculation,clues, the exchanging of ideas which provides partial evidence, and finally some sort of conclusion. sherlock was a strong wise man just as you revelation and he never gave up.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: cHeMiCaLbLuE]
    #603497 - 04/09/02 04:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"What do you do to make the world a better place?"

Well first I'd have to ask what things do you think are good. Is eating good? if so lets feed the hungry and make the world "better". Is killing jews good? well if it is lets kill some jews and make the world "better". There's so many perceptions yet so little perceiving.

Duality is killing me.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: cHeMiCaLbLuE]
    #603501 - 04/09/02 04:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The truth. I don't like this whole concept of truth. I understand well enough that our questions can never be truly answered.
What do i do to make the world a better place? Well it's simple I breath, I eat, I shit. I think. I live. Happiness seems to be the best emotion out there. I show my happy face and I let it be seen by others. What is more contagious then laughter.

Revelation instead of thinking about things that make you happy go out and create your own happiness.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Droz]
    #603526 - 04/09/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Droz said it quite well.

create your own happiness- I like that too.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Sclorch]
    #603693 - 04/09/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

First of all I gotta say that your posts always intrigue me.
I think the only way we can help humanity is to be selfish for a while. Let me explain what I mean by this. There is a quote wich reads: " each relationship you have with others reflects the relationship you have with yourself" Therefore if you take the time to get to know what makes you tick, what makes you happy, and what inside makes you a good person, then you will be much better prepared to help others see the "light". If you take the time to be true to yourself, then others will naturally be drawn to you. And if you can teach this to one person, and that person inturn teaches another, then you start to see real growth and improvement. So I say be selfish for a while and everything falls into place. Hope this makes sense.

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #603699 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, but I'm a realist.

I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population. Starting with those who are religious. Too many wars have been fought, too many lives have been lost over this invisable and intangable entity. I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor. Of course eliminating all these people will leave a small elite group who can live in harmony with nature and not have the problems we have today.

thats what i would do to make the world a better place. geneocide, sibliocide, suicide, etc.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603700 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population. Starting with those who are religious. Too many wars have been fought, too many lives have been lost over this invisable and intangable entity. I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor. Of course eliminating all these people will leave a small elite group who can live in harmony with nature and not have the problems we have today.

thats what i would do to make the world a better place. geneocide, sibliocide, suicide, etc.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603701 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603702 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603703 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #603708 - 04/09/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

oops, don't know how that happened.

OOOPS!

Anonymous

#603719 - 04/09/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

LOL. There's nothing like iteration to get your point across.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: MentalHygene]
    #603796 - 04/09/02 10:48 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you take the time to be true to yourself, then others will naturally be drawn to you. And if you can teach this to one person, and that person inturn teaches another, then you start to see real growth and improvement.

Yes, I agree very much. I suppose that a person must achieve their own kind of inner peace first. But this can be taken to a perhaps negative extreme. I could go live in the middle of nowhere and spend my whole life like a monk trying to achieve spritual enlightenment. Which is all well and good, but I'm all by myself. I didn't take anyone along with me. I guess you need to help yourself first, and through that example, help others. I always say do what feels right, what makes you happy.

Sorry, but I'm a realist. ...
I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population.

I can't say I really agree with this view. While at least 3/5ths of the population aren't the type of people that would make this world an ideal place to live in, I think the majority of people are capable of understanding, and in time most will. But then again I'm an optimist (or perhaps a utopiate).

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #603805 - 04/09/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Imagine

"Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one."
John Lennon

I just happened to be listening to this song as I read this thread. Seemed appropriate.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
    #603898 - 04/10/02 12:52 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Ska:
When I said be true to yourself for a while, I did not mean remove yourself from society untill you attain true enlightenment. I only meant take some time for yourself to understand your path before you try to help others. I think that by gaining a better understanding of yourself you will be a much greater help to others. After all who can you help if you don't know where to start?

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

Anonymous

#603927 - 04/10/02 01:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

With all due respect, I'm curious about something...

"I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor"

How does removing this group of "chosen" from YOUR world make it a better place? I am just very curious as to your reasoning behind the so-called REALISTS view....

Why can't a group consisting of say..elderly poor terminally ill people live in harmony with nature? Could they not actually have more of a connection with the Divine and nature herself knowing their time is so much more limited? And why include sterile people?? Are they not able to become enlightened just because they cannot have children?? I don't understand.Please clarify. I just don't see where commiting murder, as it basically would be, can bring YOU in harmony with anything. And since when did the elitists groups have it so much better with the Divine?? When you live in that manner, you have a closed mind to anything but your little 'special' group.That's not harmony.....I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hitler didn't seem to me to be very harmonius??? Did he?

Namaste
~K~

Edited by MystrysAbsynth (04/10/02 01:27 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom