Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehightechstuff2
Stranger
Casings from used cakes?
    #6039155 - 09/07/06 05:24 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Can you crumble and case a PF cake after a first or second flush? I would imagine so as long as their are still nutrients in the cake... Is this correct?
Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFriendlyNeighbor
Good neighbor
Re: Casings from used cakes? [Re: hightechstuff2]
    #6039189 - 09/07/06 05:33 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Err,left over nutrients in cakes, yes. But as for crumbling and casing them, theres been talk that it won't be a good idea because the mycelium in fruiting cakes already stopped their vegetative growth and has switched to the next stage in their cycle which of course is to throw out fruiting bodies.

I would not suggest breaking them up and casing in hopes of creating one bigger badder fruiting machine.

Edited by FriendlyNeighbor (09/07/06 05:35 PM)

OfflineComfortablyStond
Mr. Lizard
Male User Gallery

Loc: Psychedelphia, USA
Re: Casings from used cakes? [Re: FriendlyNeighbor]
    #6039199 - 09/07/06 05:36 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I tried it once with a couple 3rd flush PF cakes and it didn't work at all. I would just try to sqeeze a couple more flushes out of the cakes and case the next ones.

Peace.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs. It's a war on personal freedom. Keep that in mind at all times..." Bill Hicks

Invisiblecreamcorn
mad scientist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Casings from used cakes? [Re: FriendlyNeighbor]
    #6039216 - 09/07/06 05:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FriendlyNeighbor said:
Err,left over nutrients in cakes, yes. But as for crumbling and casing them, theres been talk that it won't be a good idea because the mycelium in fruiting cakes already stopped their vegetative growth and has switched to the next stage in their cycle which of course is to throw out fruiting bodies.

I would not suggest breaking them up and casing in hopes of creating one  bigger badder fruiting machine.

exactly correct :thumbup:

also, should it work (which is iffy) crumbling cakes after they've flushed and casing them will actually hurt your overall yield.  they'll waste nutrition, energy, and your time recovering and stitching back together, when if left alone they could have just been growing more mushrooms.

yes, there is a caveat that you could add them to a bulk substrate at that time and since you'd be adding more nutrition, you could theoretically improve the yields.  but again they won't be as vigorous as they are when they're young and the chances of that working out are also slim... they're likely to either not colonize the bulk substrate or everything contaminate you on the process.  best to leave them as they are, make some more cakes, and experiment with casings or bulk spawning with fresh ones :thumbup:

Offlinehightechstuff2
Stranger
Re: Casings from used cakes? [Re: creamcorn]
    #6040828 - 09/08/06 09:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks guys... That makes sense. I havn't had much luck with casings as I have had with cakes. I just figured I would get a good yield out of the first two flushes and case them. That way I don't loose out on a whole batch and still get to experiment with casings. I'll just wait and do it right then....
Thanks Again!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate