Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Loc: mycoland
Mushroom compost or cow poo
    #6035828 - 09/06/06 06:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

for my next grow i wanna try to spawn to a nutritious substrate, ie poo or some form of compost. i visited lowes home and garden section to see my options. i found one bag labelled "mushroom compost" but it failed to list any form of ingredients, it just said "a blend of organic soil etc etc etc" nothing about specific nutes. then i also found composted cow poo. which one of these do you guys think would be my best bet? and lastly is horsepoo better to use than cow poo? because i could probably go find some hpoo on a farm, i was just trying to avoid having to deal with finding, gathering and processing fresh poo.

--------------------
----------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblewise_gardener
Stranger
Male
Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: odium33]
    #6035877 - 09/06/06 06:24 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

horse poo is better than cow poo yes, don't remember exactly why but if you have the choice it's the way to go! For you compost, without the ingredient list it's hard to choose. If I were you and didn't want to go found some horse poo, I would try both, mushroom compost and cow poo, and see the difference, maybe your compost is really great. If you only want to do one, and again don't want to search for horse poo, I would choose cow poo. Good luck!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: wise_gardener]
    #6035909 - 09/06/06 06:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

'Mushroom Compost' is spent substrates and is a byproduct of the commercial mushroom industry. It's great for plants, but is already used up for mushrooms.

Bagged cow manure is fine once you spread it out in the sun for a week or two to allow the ammonia to flash off. After that, mix it with coir or verm to fluff it up so the mycelium can penetrate.

Horse manure is excellent because it's the correct texture without adding anything to it. You need field aged nuggets that are at least a couple of months old. If there is any smell to them whatsoever, leave them outside in the sun until they're odorless, then they're ready to pasteurize and use.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: wise_gardener]
    #6035913 - 09/06/06 06:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

to help the consistency of the cow poo, would adding between 10 and 20 percent vermiculite help? and some gypsum?

--------------------
----------

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6035917 - 09/06/06 06:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
'Mushroom Compost' is spent substrates and is a byproduct of the commercial mushroom industry. It's great for plants, but is already used up for mushrooms.

Bagged cow manure is fine once you spread it out in the sun for a week or two to allow the ammonia to flash off. After that, mix it with coir or verm to fluff it up so the mycelium can penetrate.

Horse manure is excellent because it's the correct texture without adding anything to it. You need field aged nuggets that are at least a couple of months old. If there is any smell to them whatsoever, leave them outside in the sun until they're odorless, then they're ready to pasteurize and use.
RR

is there any other way to get the ammonia off? i live in an apt and dont really have access to a place to let a bunch of cow shit sit out

--------------------
----------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
    #6036191 - 09/06/06 07:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can dry it out well in the oven, thinly spread out in a cookie sheet. 250 degrees will do it in a couple of hours.

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: Hotnuts]
    #6036239 - 09/06/06 07:44 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
You can dry it out well in the oven, thinly spread out in a cookie sheet. 250 degrees will do it in a couple of hours.

is it necassary to dry it all out, then rehydrate again?

--------------------
----------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6036300 - 09/06/06 07:55 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, dry it out completely. How long it takes depends on several things. Just dry it out until all of the manure is very dry. That will get rid of the ammoniacal nitrate in it. Then mix it with coir or vermiculite and then pasteurize it. You only need a small percentage of the manure to coir or vermiculite. 5-10% bagged manure would be the maximum amount i'd use, then the rest coir or vermiculite. You just want to lightly coat the coir or vermiculite with the manure. It takes very little.

Edited by Hotnuts (09/06/06 07:57 PM)

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

#6036723 - 09/06/06 09:50 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Hotnuts said:
Yes, dry it out completely. How long it takes depends on several things. Just dry it out until all of the manure is very dry. That will get rid of the ammoniacal nitrate in it. Then mix it with coir or vermiculite and then pasteurize it. You only need a small percentage of the manure to coir or vermiculite. 5-10% bagged manure would be the maximum amount i'd use, then the rest coir or vermiculite. You just want to lightly coat the coir or vermiculite with the manure. It takes very little.

should i also mix in a percentage of chopped straw, like 20 percent ?

--------------------
----------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

#6037064 - 09/06/06 11:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Not if you're using coir or vermiculite to mix the manure in with. I'd use a 1 part bagged manure/10 parts coir or vermiculite. I'd use coir instead of vermiculite if it were my project.

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6037178 - 09/07/06 12:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Or you can get it ready to go.. gathered, processed, pasteurized hpoo and wheat straw. here:
http://www.mycopath.com/cgi-bin/cp-app.c...00&cat=&catstr=

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

Invisibleodium33
_____///
 User Gallery

Re: Mushroom compost or cow poo [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6038761 - 09/07/06 03:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i was trying to avoid pre processed over priced options but if it comes to it i might give it a shot

--------------------
----------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract