Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

Reflective expansion.
    #6037898 - 09/07/06 09:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

All natural things on Earth reflect a desire to expand, and we are no different. Our behaviors and attitudes are complex but show the need to expand. As we continue to engage this new century we are running into new knowledge, new technology, and new frontiers. Being contained on Earth is leading to many obstacles, and soon we will colonize Mars to alleviate social pressure on Earth. It IS on our to-do list. And when we continue to expand, we will no doubt face further obstacles provoking us to expand even further.

What I am toying with is the idea, that we are the only tool-making beings in the entire Universe. Think about the factors and conditions required for basic cellular survival on Earth. The odds of this occuring are astronomically huge.

What IF, we are the only ones in the whole Universe? If you remove the negative lonely aspect, its actually pretty liberating. Thats a LOT of room to create new things. Think about, we currently have the (albeit, primitive) technology to genetically engineer living things. Soon, we will be able to create totally new species' and modify ourselves. I wouldn't say it is far-fetched to believe by the year 3500, Unicorns, Dragons, and Hobbits quite possibly could be living creatures on Mars.

All I'm suggesting, is that maybe we are destined to engineer the Universe for life. Maybe even bringing matter to life, itself. Thats even more unfathomable. Maybe, we are truly the Universe calculating itself... and we dont even think about it.

First there is a spark of interest and then there is the fire of expansion.

...the fire of my mind
shall beam into infinite.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: Reflective expansion. [Re: psyka]
    #6037981 - 09/07/06 10:22 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I like you theory ad gave it a lot of thought just by imagining the possibilities... which of course are countless.:)
It doesn't even matter if we're alone in this Universe or net, still we have so much room for doing new things, we're free to create and experiment. The only ones that put a limit to all that it's us, humans by making it all look dangerous or as a deadly sin. In fact, nobody and nothing else but people has ever tried to stop us.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Reflective expansion. [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #6038005 - 09/07/06 10:37 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

First of all I don't think we're alone, there simply is too much space to say its all ours,

Secondly technology is growing rapidly, but we'll never have unicorn, dragons or hobbits on mars, these are mythical creatures created in fictional folklore.

I do agree that stem cell research has endless possiblilities, and modifying our being is a good possiblility, I like the idea of being able to stay the same, but are capabable of regenerating any body part possible and replacing the old ones, just like you would do with a car when it breaks down, this would greatly 'expand' our life line, in which we could evolve our minds even to being more intelligent beings than we are now simply by living longer.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Reflective expansion. [Re: capliberty]
    #6038118 - 09/07/06 11:17 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

capliberty said:

Secondly technology is growing rapidly, but we'll never have unicorn, dragons or hobbits on mars, these are mythical creatures created in fictional folklore.

How do you know there won't br somebody which through genes will make dragons, unicorns and even elves?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6038236 - 09/07/06 11:52 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Because dragons aren't based off any creature that is real, where are you going to find the genetic DNA code to replicate or evolve a dragon.

Maybe unicorns is more feasible sense it only consists of growing a single horn out of the cranium of a horse, but I find this kind of unlikely for simple reason that I don't think horses need single horn, usually animals have things to support their survival.

As far as elves are concerned, well midgets can dress up in green costumes and live in seclusion, such as the woods, so when you run into them, Oh look what we have here, elves. NO, their just midgets with green costumes.

I think the main thing is separate hallucination and imagination to that of the sober reality. None of those have been present in the sober reality so their should not be any incorporated in a grand plan of humanity for our up coming future. :rolleyes:

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#6038297 - 09/07/06 12:23 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Ok, we can currently create virii from scratch using amature (legally and affordably bought) laboratory equipment. We can splice the genes of any animal/plant and come up with something totally different. For example, splice the web-producing genetics from a spider into a goat, and you have a goat that secretes silk instead of milk. This has been done and is being used to make bullet proof vests. And this is relatively old news! New discovery's are being made everyday.

The problem with creating your own species is understanding the intricate layers of genetic code. We have a pretty good basic understanding of how it works and can do some cool things. But, I dont see why we couldnt reverse engineer nature's processes and come up with our own design. With the rate of technology, I know we can do it, and I also think the technology will arrive unsoberingly fast (30 years, maybe earlier).

I mean, during the 1700's people thought going past 55 mph would kill a person and now we have cars than can go 600 and space vehicles than can approach 26,000+ feet per SECOND. Technology is increasing exponentially... not in linear fashion. Which means the pace of the pace of change itself is increasing.

I wasnt stating my opinion about being alone in the cosmos as fact, and you cannot state your opinion as such. We very well COULD be alone. It is a statistical possibility. If it is true, that makes us overwhelmingly unique and powerful.

And what the hell is the "sober" reality, anyway?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

Invisiblegettinjiggywithit
jiggy
Female User Gallery

Loc: Heart of Laughter
    #6038304 - 09/07/06 12:26 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

psyka said:
What I am toying with is the idea, that we are the only tool-making beings in the entire Universe.
What IF, we are the only ones in the whole Universe?

Thats one small picture of the universe and those little spots are GALAXIES. It's near impossible for me to entertain the idea that we are the only life forms able to make tools in the universe.

Quote:

Psyka said;

All I'm suggesting, is that maybe we are destined to engineer the Universe for life. Maybe even bringing matter to life, itself. Thats even more unfathomable. Maybe, we are truly the Universe calculating itself... and we dont even think about it.

Interesting indeed. What if some other intelligent life form did just that with us and life on earth is their genetic engineering experiment???????

I like the comment about the universe calculating itself! :thumbup:

:peace: :heart:

--------------------
Ahuwale ka nane huna.

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Reflective expansion. [Re: gettinjiggywithit]
    #6038358 - 09/07/06 12:49 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Still you are basing your picture of what we can do on present DNA code, their is no DNA code for a dragon, maybe we can hybrid up a dog, a bird and a dinosaur and get something similar, but really I don't care how fast our technology is quantum leaping, we will not replicate any dragon, sorry it ain't going to happen,

I find it also odd, that your willing to entertain the wild idea that we can successfully splice genetic code as you say it, and eventually evolve new creatures in about 30 yrs. But at the same time you hold what I find is a narrow minded view of us being the only ones in the universe.

Also even though our technology seems to be growing in leaps and bounds we are still very far away from feasibly manipulating creatures DNA code. We still having trouble in regrowing teeth or replicating simple components for our bodies. They say we're about 5 years away from being able to produce new teeth through genetic means, so I serious doubt in 30 years we'll have the technology to recreate new creatures to civilize different planets, we haven't been able to make a space launch to mars yet let alone civilize the place

Invisiblepsyka
Praetorian
 User Gallery

#6038464 - 09/07/06 01:22 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Replicate a dragon? A dragon doesn't exist, yet. But like you said maybe we can mutate a dog with a bird, and dinosaur or whatever. Isn't that what evolution basically is? We're just speeding up the process.

Seems like the ONLY thing you and I disagree about on this topic is the time-line.

They say they're about 5 years from growing teeth... bs, they can already do it in a lab. --> Its going to take 5 years for commercial development. In fact, I'd go out of my way to say its a fairly simple procedure of seeding stem cells to provoke tooth growth. It just has no standard process to incorporate into the market, yet. I disagree with the 5 years thing... more like 2 1/2.

Can you go ahead and please (without side-stepping the question) explain why entertaining the concept of being the only tool-designing creature in the whole Universe is narrow minded? Do you have evidence suggesting otherwise?

--------------------
As the life of a candle,
my wick will burn out.
But, the fire of my mind

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

#6038964 - 09/07/06 04:31 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

capliberty said:
I find it also odd, that your willing to entertain the wild idea that we can successfully splice genetic code as you say it, and eventually evolve new creatures in about 30 yrs. But at the same time you hold what I find is a narrow minded view of us being the only ones in the universe.

Both creating dragons and being alone in the Universe could be possible. We don't know either for sire cause till now we don't have a solid proof one way or the other.
So what makes one ideas sound so wild and the other so narrow minded?

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Offlinecapliberty
Stranger
 User Gallery

#6039410 - 09/07/06 06:46 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

whatever floats your boat, personally I don't think this is the case.

I don't have any varifable evidence, but I do have an overwhelming amount of circumstantial evidence,

such as knowing how life takes form through elemental conditions, and how big the universe is, in such a case I think another living environment is a very real possiblity, and I don't think its such a far fetched idea, to tell you the truth.

But being able to produce everything we imagine is kind a borderline pushing it in my book, lets stick to some kind of reference here, I'm not trying to limit anybodys scope but for the sake of argument I have to downplay such notions

Edited by capliberty (09/07/06 06:47 PM)

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

#6040128 - 09/07/06 11:14 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I think molluscs make tools and hermit crabs consume tools that remain after their maker is no more.

are sea shells not amazing tools?

come to think of it
there are honey combs, wasp nests, spider webs and birds' nests
trap doors and scarab dung balls.

or must a tool fit fingers?
anyway, I think we need new paradigms and need to be sensitive to the potential of intelligence innate in what is around us before we hammer out a new mandate.

--------------------
:confused: _ :brainfart:🧠  _ :finger:

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Re: Reflective expansion. [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6040657 - 09/08/06 07:48 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

redgreenvines said:
anyway, I think we need new paradigms and need to be sensitive to the potential of intelligence innate in what is around us before we hammer out a new mandate.

:thumbup:

--------------------
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck