Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Loc: In the woods
I'm Back
    #6034862 - 09/06/06 12:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't been around much lately because I have been very busy moving and starting graduate school.

I've missed you guys.  :hug:

I did have the opportunity to go mushroom hunting last weekend however, and made a few interesting finds.

[Panellus stipticus, the luminescent Panellus]

I found these completely covering a recently fallen tree at Strouds Run State Park near Athens Ohio. There were thousands of them. I brought a few small clusters home, but only one of them had a noticeable glow to it. The above photo was taken in my darkened kitchen with a fifteen second exposure. As you can see, they glow pretty brightly. Hopefully I will have the opportunity to drive out there at night sometime and photograph them in situ.

I also found another active Pluteus. At first I thought it was merely a small Pluteus cervinus, but I picked it anyway and noted the smell was faintly psilocybian, and not at all the raw potato smell of P. cervinus. I squeezed the base of the stem and noted an almost imperceptible bluing. Several hours later, the blue had become evident.

Unlike my last  active Pluteus find, this mushroom was viable and yielded a spore print.

:smile:

I suspect the active Plutei are far more common than is commonly believed. I think they are rarely found because they so closely resemble the ubiquitous Pluteus cervinus, and because they show little or no bluing until several hours after they are picked. Now I just need to find enough for a dose.

BTW, Gymnopilus spectabilis is also beginning to fruit in Ohio.

Peace Love and Shroomyness
:smile: :heart: :mushroom2:

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: I'm Back [Re: shroomydan]
    #6034871 - 09/06/06 12:57 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome back, we missed you too. And back with some cool freaking finds too - well done! Good luck with grad school - what are you studying?

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Back [Re: xmush]
    #6034895 - 09/06/06 01:08 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks xmush

I'm attempting a masters degree in philosophy. This quarter I'm studying Aesthetics and Wittgenstein. I'm not especially interested in aesthetics, but I'm taking the class because the professor is the chair of the department, and aesthetics is his field of expertise. He wrote the encyclopedia article for aesthetics, so I figure it is wise to learn from a man who knows.

Wittgenstein wrote some pretty far out material. I haven't read him yet, but the primary focus is analysis of language, again not really in my field of interest, but this school has a strong analytic bent, and Wittgenstein is own of the heroes of analytic philosophy, so I should probably listen to what he has to say.

Lately I have been wondering about the whole philosophical enterprise. My dad says I should drop it and become a mycologists. Anyway, it's good to be back and it's good to have some new hunting grounds.  :smile:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#6034905 - 09/06/06 01:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome Back!!!

--------------------
Use the Fucking Reply To Feature You Lazy Pieces of Shit!

afoaf said:
Jim, if you were in my city, I would let you fuck my wife.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6034919 - 09/06/06 01:21 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

shroomydan said:                 
[Panellus stipticus, the luminescent Panellus]

That is so rad.

Welcome back, Dan!  :grin:

--------------------

OfflineHotnuts
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Wild Blue Yawnder
Re: I'm Back [Re: Jim]
    #6034928 - 09/06/06 01:22 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Dan. That Panellus photo's great! I've never seen the actual glow myself until now, but have heard about it. Great pics.

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#6034930 - 09/06/06 01:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I finally found omphalotus illudens... they definitely glowed in the dark, but I couldn't get it on my digital camera... how'd you do it?

--------------------

afoaf said:

InvisibleAmatoxin
Injected With A Poison

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Not So Great Britain
    #6034933 - 09/06/06 01:23 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Good to see you back  :smile:

Have you tried your hand at cultivation shroomydan? Those active Pluteus might be quite easy to cultivate at home. Would make an interesting grow log for sure.

--------------------

Sectioned Under The Mental Health Act Sat 20-10-07 to Thurs 01-11-07 for playing TECHNO music

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#6034935 - 09/06/06 01:24 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Mycology is a hobby... its hard to make it pay the bills...

--------------------

afoaf said:

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6034936 - 09/06/06 01:25 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Yes, philosophy is much more lucrative. :wink:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Back [Re: xmush]
    #6034940 - 09/06/06 01:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

yeah, but I'm sure he could put the education spin on his degree and turn around and teach... i think Dan would be an excellent teacher... he has a lot of patience...

--------------------

afoaf said:

OfflineMead
Closet Chemist
 User Gallery

#6034946 - 09/06/06 01:28 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Awesome to see you back and with mushrooms for us.

I today picked a mush(looking/hoping for active pluteus) and noticed an immediate raw potato smell, and I never heard of it before till you just said it :laugh:

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

#6034956 - 09/06/06 01:32 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I've done a little cultivating in the past, and I think I might give that Pluteus a shot.

The photo was taken in manual mode of a Canon Powershot A530
Camera setting on counter about 3 inches from the mushroom.
Shutter speed maxed out at 15 seconds.
Manual focus (pre-adjusted with the light on)
ISO maxed out at 800.

I played a round with the settings a good bit and this was the best photo of the twenty or so I took. I think to get really hi quality photos of glowing mushrooms will require film, but I'll keep trying.

:grin:

InvisibleJim
 User Gallery

#6034964 - 09/06/06 01:34 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Im going to have to learn how to play with the shutter speed on my digital camera...

--------------------

afoaf said:

Invisiblellamabox
Myco/Ethnoresearcher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Third moon of the Indole ...
    #6035240 - 09/06/06 03:19 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Dan welcome back. We missed you so much.
Keep up the good work, and hope school goes well.

--------------------

Free Ethnobotanical Seed Ring

Edited by llamabox (09/07/06 03:17 PM)

OfflineMr420
Stranger
Male

Loc: Oompa loompa land
Re: I'm Back [Re: llamabox]
    #6035356 - 09/06/06 04:14 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

If your cam has a timed flash you can lower your iso to about 4-600 and set it off at the 14th second of exposure you will see the shroom and the glow from the prolonged exposure.The glow wont be as prevelant though,if you mean to get it more focused you would need film or to try and focus on the glow in the darkened room The easiest way would be to shine a light at the ceiling while you focus the cam so it will get the shroom in its lens then click off the flashlight.,most of that isnt a focus issue its from the iso setting introducing its own artifacts thinking it should try to fill in the color gaps.

Anyway those are awsome,Ive seen those in the woods but never knew they GLOW thats freakin sweet. :thumbup: Too bad you cant eat em ( I think)I'd have to wonder if you could eat enough to glow..Or could you immagine leaving that bowl mouse for someone to see in the turlet at night.

Edited by Mr420 (09/06/06 04:20 PM)

InvisibleGGreatOne234
Stranger
    #6046369 - 09/10/06 11:58 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Welcome back shroomydan.

Those Pluteus mushrooms you're finding are out of this world.
:smile:I would be really tempted to eat them. But I suppose a spore print could go further than just one or two shrooms.

Welcome back, I just got back too.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: I'm Back [Re: GGreatOne234]
    #6049015 - 09/11/06 05:38 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

welcome back bro and awesome finds there - get it to workman so he can work his magic

--------------------

Invisibleshroomydan
exshroomerite
 User Gallery

Re: I'm Back [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #6050614 - 09/11/06 05:36 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Half of the Pluteus print is already in the mail to Workman.  :thumbup:

As I explained to Workman, the mushroom was found in an old growth forest region of Ohio that is the last remnant of a primordial Oak and Tulip tree forest that once covered the entire state. Most of the forest was wiped out by the last Ice age, and the rest was cut for lumber and cleared for farm land as European imagrants moved west and settled in Ohio.

I was there to collect specimens of a strongly bluing Gymnopilus spectabilis I found there a few years ago.

The log these mushrooms call home has almost completely rotted away. Scaly Pholiotas are encroaching on the Gym colony from one end of the log, while Aborted Entolomas have gained a foothold on the other end. I feared the Gyms would not return another year, their special genetics gone forever like so many other native species squeezed out of existence as their habitat is destroyed. So I was there to collect Sacred Blue Gym spores, and I was delighted to find two viable specimens sandwiched between the Pholiotas and the Entolomas.  :smile:
A spore print from one of those mushrooms is also on the way to workman.  :smile: :mushroom2:

I found the Pluteus on the hike out after I collected the Gyms. At first I thought it was just P. cervinus, but for the last few years I have been in the habit of picking and smelling every small Pluteus I run across. This time it paid off.

I find it very interesting that two psychoactive species of differing genera were found so close together in such a "wild" setting.

The conventional wisdom is that Psilocybian mushrooms are rare in the wild and have adapted to living with people. This certainly holds true when considering the dung composting Cubes and Pans associated with domestic cattle. It also rings true when considering the wood rotting psilocybes common on the west coast. However, the conventional wisdom seems not to apply here in Ohio, where all of the Psilocybian species I have found (with the exception of Panaeolus subbalteatus) have been living in deep wilderness.

Hopefully these two discoveries will give mycophiles another reason to protect what little remains of our old growth forests. The specific place where these were growing is now threatened by undermining. It is inconceivable to me that the political will of the people is not sufficient to protect this tiny remaining dot of biological diversity on the Ohio landscape from the same forces of economy and industry that squeezed such a massive ecosystem into a few dozen acres in the first place. For all our modern enlightenment, it seems money still trumps the environment at every turn. 

The good news is that the genetics of at least two  Dysart Woods inhabitants have been rescued, and after Workman's efforts they may yet survive, even if their native habitat is completely lost at some point in the future.

I call it a good days work.  :smile:

InvisibleYESSUP
In The Thick Of It
 User Gallery

Loc: SE Tex
    #6050625 - 09/11/06 05:39 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Ahhhh Man I need to get out and look ...
Once again Dan  :thumbup: Love your Blue Gyms.

--------------------
Gut Feeling leads to anxiety, Anxiety leads to fear, Fear leads to anger,And anger leads to regret.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, USA West Coast Strains   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification