Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Loc: MA
What do you do to make the world a better place?
    #603318 - 04/09/02 12:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I like to think (and I do get the impression) that the majority of people on these boards "get it" a lot more than the general population. Maybe it has to do with mushroom ingestion, which has a way of cutting through the bullshit of everyday life. There are a large number of people here who realize the futility of collecting material possession and struggling for power and control, and who see the need for peace, love, and cooperation in the years ahead.

I am approaching the point in my maturing where I will soon stop training for life and actually enter the real world. So I'm wondering what you guys do to make the world a better place. Does it involve your professional lives, personal lives, something else?

I'm kind of looking for direction in my own life. One thing I would really like to do with my life is to just travel the world exploring and experiencing what it has to offer. I would also really like to have a shack in the middle of the woods where I live in peace and quiet away from modern society. However, something about this strikes me as selfish. If I understand what needs to be done to aid mankind in its evolution, shouldn't I try to apply and spread that knowledge rather than living hedonistically? I was fortunate enough to have the means and ability to attend a great school and get a great scientific education, so shouldn't I use that to increase mankind's understanding of the universe? On the other hand, do you think it is enough to simply understand and practice what you understand on a deep level? Perhaps your wisdom will effect the sum total of the collective consciousness, or at the very least it will spread through your personal relations and friends and lead to positive change that way.

What are your opinions on our duty (or lack thereof) to the human race?

Edited by skaMariaPastora (04/09/02 12:48 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #603350 - 04/09/02 01:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I believe in God.......the God Who is called "The Ancient of Days".........The God Who said He is known as .......I Am.......

I think that says volumes......if you "are" and you are in the right......that's enough........no explainations necessary, nothing to prove, just truth.....

I think as humans we aspire to the greatest levels of truth that we understand. Some don't "get it" meaning the way the universe operates.....while others do "get" more of the truth and they display this in their words and actions. Both believer and sceptic think that they know the truth......both know parts of the greater whole but no human knows it all. We fall short of perfection and omnipotence being human.

But at the same time many souls become "hungry" for truth and they begin to grasp more and more of the actual "truth".....what I have come to know as the .....I Am.....

When this happens.....this soul becomes a light in the darkness of "unknowing".....a lamp to those around them. A kind of beacon that shows the way......

I believe that a mother caring for a child can be this beacon. I also believe that a leader of a nation can also be this beacon. One is lowly, the other exalted....but both are serving equally the......I Am..... or truth......

I believe every soul has a purpose in this life. Every one will at times be the child who is cared for, the mother doing the caring, the hermit in the woods, and the stranger who comes to town who is viewed with suspicsion because of his ways. In searching out these different roles, many men find that they are placed in positions where they have more and more influence over others. Some use this power wisely and some use it unwisely...thus showing their true intent....

What is the way?

Start where you are. Bloom where you are planted. Do what you can do. Help who you can help. If this path leads you to the woods in isolation....then so be it! If it leads you to political office then so be it! Any obligation to mankind will be filled as you follow your heart.......

Jeremy

InvisibleRevelation

User Gallery

Loc: heart cave
    #603374 - 04/09/02 01:57 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I bury my head in my hands and think about better days.

--------------------

OfflineSofaJesus
journeyman
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Revelation]
    #603383 - 04/09/02 02:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Come on Revelations... I want more from you....Everyone needs more from everyone else

"cold silence has a tendency to atrophy any sense of compassion" - TOOL

YOU know what they mean -- burying your head puts you into greater contact with the problem not the truth.............

--------------------
"...and to the left where up is down now stand a zebra made of shapes of me and silver and the sun so bring no guilt with you up above the flatline let's just hit the sky exploding into one." [ HUM ]

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
    #603399 - 04/09/02 02:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Revelation kinda has a point there, but then again it makes me feel better to be able to talk about it than just keep it inside. life i relate to the greatest sherlock holmes mystery, hence truth comes through speculation,clues, the exchanging of ideas which provides partial evidence, and finally some sort of conclusion. sherlock was a strong wise man just as you revelation and he never gave up.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

Offlineemptyvessel
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: cHeMiCaLbLuE]
    #603497 - 04/09/02 04:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"What do you do to make the world a better place?"

Well first I'd have to ask what things do you think are good. Is eating good? if so lets feed the hungry and make the world "better". Is killing jews good? well if it is lets kill some jews and make the world "better". There's so many perceptions yet so little perceiving.

Duality is killing me.

OfflineDroz
Love of Life
 User Gallery

Loc: Floorida
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: cHeMiCaLbLuE]
    #603501 - 04/09/02 04:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The truth. I don't like this whole concept of truth. I understand well enough that our questions can never be truly answered.
What do i do to make the world a better place? Well it's simple I breath, I eat, I shit. I think. I live. Happiness seems to be the best emotion out there. I show my happy face and I let it be seen by others. What is more contagious then laughter.

Revelation instead of thinking about things that make you happy go out and create your own happiness.

--------------------
Evolution of Time.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Droz]
    #603526 - 04/09/02 04:43 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Droz said it quite well.

create your own happiness- I like that too.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Sclorch]
    #603693 - 04/09/02 08:25 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

First of all I gotta say that your posts always intrigue me.
I think the only way we can help humanity is to be selfish for a while. Let me explain what I mean by this. There is a quote wich reads: " each relationship you have with others reflects the relationship you have with yourself" Therefore if you take the time to get to know what makes you tick, what makes you happy, and what inside makes you a good person, then you will be much better prepared to help others see the "light". If you take the time to be true to yourself, then others will naturally be drawn to you. And if you can teach this to one person, and that person inturn teaches another, then you start to see real growth and improvement. So I say be selfish for a while and everything falls into place. Hope this makes sense.

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #603699 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Sorry, but I'm a realist.

I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population. Starting with those who are religious. Too many wars have been fought, too many lives have been lost over this invisable and intangable entity. I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor. Of course eliminating all these people will leave a small elite group who can live in harmony with nature and not have the problems we have today.

thats what i would do to make the world a better place. geneocide, sibliocide, suicide, etc.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603700 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population. Starting with those who are religious. Too many wars have been fought, too many lives have been lost over this invisable and intangable entity. I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor. Of course eliminating all these people will leave a small elite group who can live in harmony with nature and not have the problems we have today.

thats what i would do to make the world a better place. geneocide, sibliocide, suicide, etc.

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603701 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603702 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

#603703 - 04/09/02 08:37 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

OfflineTheShroomHermit
 User Gallery

Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: TheShroomHermit]
    #603708 - 04/09/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

oops, don't know how that happened.

OOOPS!

Anonymous

#603719 - 04/09/02 08:55 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

LOL. There's nothing like iteration to get your point across.

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: MentalHygene]
    #603796 - 04/09/02 10:48 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you take the time to be true to yourself, then others will naturally be drawn to you. And if you can teach this to one person, and that person inturn teaches another, then you start to see real growth and improvement.

Yes, I agree very much. I suppose that a person must achieve their own kind of inner peace first. But this can be taken to a perhaps negative extreme. I could go live in the middle of nowhere and spend my whole life like a monk trying to achieve spritual enlightenment. Which is all well and good, but I'm all by myself. I didn't take anyone along with me. I guess you need to help yourself first, and through that example, help others. I always say do what feels right, what makes you happy.

Sorry, but I'm a realist. ...
I'd start off by killing off 3/5ths of the population.

I can't say I really agree with this view. While at least 3/5ths of the population aren't the type of people that would make this world an ideal place to live in, I think the majority of people are capable of understanding, and in time most will. But then again I'm an optimist (or perhaps a utopiate).

Invisiblepsyphon
mneumatic device

Folding@home Statistics
    #603805 - 04/09/02 10:59 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Imagine

"Imagine there's no heaven,
It's easy if you try,
No hell below us,
Above us only sky,
Imagine all the people
living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
It isnt hard to do,
Nothing to kill or die for,
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
I wonder if you can,
No need for greed or hunger,
A brotherhood of man,
Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
but Im not the only one,
I hope some day you'll join us,
And the world will live as one."
John Lennon

I just happened to be listening to this song as I read this thread. Seemed appropriate.

--------------------
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes."
- Marcel Proust

I wish you all ceaselessly flowing moments of happiness.

OfflineMentalHygene
otherworldly

Loc: Somewhere...Under the rai...
    #603898 - 04/10/02 12:52 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Ska:
When I said be true to yourself for a while, I did not mean remove yourself from society untill you attain true enlightenment. I only meant take some time for yourself to understand your path before you try to help others. I think that by gaining a better understanding of yourself you will be a much greater help to others. After all who can you help if you don't know where to start?

--------------------
"WHATS THE USE OF AUTONOMY WHEN A BUTTON DOES IT ALL?"

Anonymous

#603927 - 04/10/02 01:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

With all due respect, I'm curious about something...

"I'd move on to the elderly, the sterile, the deformed, the terminanlly ill, and the poor"

How does removing this group of "chosen" from YOUR world make it a better place? I am just very curious as to your reasoning behind the so-called REALISTS view....

Why can't a group consisting of say..elderly poor terminally ill people live in harmony with nature? Could they not actually have more of a connection with the Divine and nature herself knowing their time is so much more limited? And why include sterile people?? Are they not able to become enlightened just because they cannot have children?? I don't understand.Please clarify. I just don't see where commiting murder, as it basically would be, can bring YOU in harmony with anything. And since when did the elitists groups have it so much better with the Divine?? When you live in that manner, you have a closed mind to anything but your little 'special' group.That's not harmony.....I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but Hitler didn't seem to me to be very harmonius??? Did he?

Namaste
~K~

Edited by MystrysAbsynth (04/10/02 01:27 AM)

Invisibletak
geo's henchman
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: nowhereland
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: ]
    #603967 - 04/10/02 02:04 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Tannis makes me want to be a better person. I think I will be from now on. I can be good and bad, but when it comes down to it, i would much rather be good...

--------------------
The DJ's took pills to stay awake and play for seven days.

OfflineMorpheus
Stranger

Loc: The happy fuckin'n Nether...
    #604085 - 04/10/02 07:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i'm stuggling wit the the same dillema; live in a shack in the woods or stay in society, because i do want to mean something for the world.
but beginning with yourself will perhaps help stimulate the human (spiritual)evolution.

good luck

--------------------
"Revolutionary people are not normal people".
-Ch? Guevara

InvisibletheLightDivine
Stranger

#604097 - 04/10/02 07:47 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I speak only the truth to anyone that I talk to. I treat everyone as if they are my own best friend. I give everybody a chance to open up to who they really are and share their true intentions. Everything that you do to make this world a better place is pointless if we can't all grow closer as people.

--------------------
??• W? ?r? ?ll †h?L?ght?iv?n? •??

OfflinecHeMiCaLbLuE
    #604364 - 04/10/02 01:41 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I feel it is my duty to spread information even though it may be not the whole truth and certainly not a lie or trick. the truth will come on that so contreversal judgement day, which i think will come at different " Times" for each of us, since they are telling of the astral demension merging with the physical more and more all the time, hence we all arrive at the same place but from different planes, lol, depending where you are in your ascension process.

--------------------
insanity with a plan, a plan to stop exercising truth as compared to breathing thin air, but to experience truth as all there is to experience, for what do i not already have that exsists? All i can do is enjoy the ride.

Edited by cHeMiCaLbLuE (04/10/02 01:46 PM)

OfflineMajor_Buzz
just like that

Loc: Left Bank
    #604475 - 04/10/02 03:27 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Broad and tough question to answer, especially since I don?t know you?but here?s my take.
Firstly let me say that by merely asking this question, you are moving in the right direction. Whatever course you choose in life, has to be correct for you. Stay true to yourself; don?t follow a course just because someone else tells you it?s right.
Now that may be something as extreme, in current society?s view, as retreating to a mountain-top and meditating your days away. The positive energy created would certainly benefit mankind.
Or it could involve making a shit-load of money and donating large sums to a worthy cause (AIDS prevention or treatment in Africa comes to mind).
My compromise involves treating people with love, practicing yoga and meditation, and an occasional entheogenic experience.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #605060 - 04/11/02 06:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I compost, live simple, recycle, grow as much food as possible, I care take 30 acres of woods, for all animals and plants to live, try to spread as much bio diversity into it.
Brings friends so they can enjoy it and get inspierd to do the same.

--------------------

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
    #605174 - 04/11/02 08:51 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

To make the world a better place?

When I talk to people, I decide what they're not happy about, and try to reassure them in a sincere way. If it's their looks, I try to make them feel attractive, or at the very least try to never make reference to their so-called unattractiveness. If they're "having a bad day" I say, "oh you just got all of your bad things out of the way today. The rest of the day is going to be great". Also, I try not to complain that much. I try to "suffer in silence" as much as possible. Although I can't help but let it all out on people sometimes.

I don't know there's a whole lot of things I do to help make the world a better place, but I do know this:
Whatever you give to someone else, you give to yourself, because to give something means that you have that. The universe is a big copy machine, and you're telling it that you have whatever it is that you're giving away.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineDrDankenstein
Stranger
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Learyfan]
    #605200 - 04/11/02 09:31 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I eat cows....this way less methane gas escapes into the atmosphere and destroys the ozone layer. god DAMN i'm the man!

--------------------
"on 5 hits of acid the "my little pony" theme song drove me to the brink of insanity, and certainly to the most hellish abyss's in my mind imaginable"

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: nowhere
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: DrDankenstein]
    #605239 - 04/11/02 10:04 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I am never having children. The world is overpopulated already, getting near to a lack of farmland, for the amount of technology availabe. I am helping chinese immigrants gain citizenship in the u.s.. I am trying to change the government policy on international grant funding. I am trying to promote and support the green party. I am trying to eduate myself, and others about the truth. I am trying to live in harmony with each creature in this earth. I am searching for cures to harmful diseases. I am studying ways of creating a univeral language, a "common language" a language that all people can speak to each other, while retaining their own. Finally, I am trying to find ways of peacefully removing my wife and family from jail. Where they were sent for drug consumption.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: What do you do to make the world a better place? [Re: Learyfan]
    #605271 - 04/11/02 10:26 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

When I talk to people, I decide what they're not happy about, and try to reassure them in a sincere way.

Your talk and actions are not in alignment. Insulting someone is hardly reassuring in a sincere way.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #605437 - 04/11/02 01:32 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, it would be a good thing if you got
away from modern society for some time.
You would have a remarkable outlook on the
world and I bet that would help others (assuming you eventually
re-entered society). That kind of life is rare. Can you actually do it
though? It depends how isolated you mean. And you have to do it
for at least seven years! j/k Seriously though I love the idea. I wish
I had the guts to do it myself.

Edited by frogsheath (04/11/02 01:43 PM)

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: frogsheath]
    #605697 - 04/11/02 07:21 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I removed myself for about a month before, It takes some getting used to, no radio, no tv no books, only a bunch of plants, and a buddha statue. I think I learned more about spirtuality in that short time period then in any other perioid in my life.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: nugsarenice]
    #605769 - 04/11/02 08:29 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

BTW, my condolences about your family....you seem like a really cool
person....this is not right at all

OfflineskaMariaPastora
Utopiate
    #605794 - 04/11/02 09:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

nugsarenice-
What's the story behind your removal from society? Did you live in the middle of the woods or what? How could you afford to take that time off? What did you eat and what did you do to past the time? I'm really interested in doing this so I'd like to hear about your experience.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: skaMariaPastora]
    #606124 - 04/12/02 06:27 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Well, it was about 2 years ago, and I rented the back of a house in the country part of my neighborhood, none of my friends knew where I moved. I did'nt have a job, and the aparment cost me 400 dollars a month. I did'nt have any money or belongings, so the only thing that got moved in with me was my bed. So basically I just sat around for a month doing absolutely nothing, I had just finished a 3 month acid binge, so I did'nt need any drugs to be fucked up, I was just seriously burndt. I did do alot of meditating in the woods, and I did find alot of good plants in the forest surrounding my house, and a couple times I just walked along some of the main roads, and people would pick me up, and hook me up with psychadelics, so I guess this was'nt a complete farm sustaining removal, but it was very close. I got to the point where just lighting a stick of incense to buddha would be a complete spiritual enlightening experience, I mean within that time, I was understanding and searching out many things, and the smoke was my guide so to say. i Know now, burning a stick of incense would not be the same as it was at this time. As far as food went, I had a large stock of oatmeal, and smack (32 cent soup) you see why that call it smack! plus other groceries. But eventually, I realized that life was worth living and I went and got a job.

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
    #606126 - 04/12/02 06:30 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Also, I felt my meditating had worked towards world peace, I felt that just because I had meditated so well, and thought of so many peaceful solutions, that the world would just stop fighting, and come together in peace. But meditating does not solve problems, being does'nt, rather doing does. That's one thing I learned during this time. The whole prelude to this event was me reading a book of Ram Dass, which I will moderatlely reccomend, but it turns out most of his philosophy is wrong, at least regarding eastern philosophy, he suggested things in his books, that are not in line with the spirituality he was trying to promote. Buddhism.

Offlineemptyvessel
    #607031 - 04/13/02 03:35 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

doing nothing, doing something.... is there a difference? being... doing.... doing what? what is doing?... what is being? being nothing... doing nothing... what is nothing? what is something? ya ya ya so i says to the guy but what are you really saying?. nothing.

Offlinescotty
Stranger
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: emptyvessel]
    #607104 - 04/13/02 07:42 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I cannot give any personal advice as i am still searching for my true purpose. I can, however, offer some advice from a great man. Someone who gave humanity a great gift and who is still opening hearts and minds long after he passed on.

--------------------
"There is no loftier mission than to approach the Godhead nearer than other people, and to disseminate the divine rays among humanity"
-Beethoven

Offlinenugsarenice
Carpal Tunnel
Re: What do you do to make the world a better plac [Re: emptyvessel]
    #607484 - 04/13/02 06:30 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

being and doing are completely opposite verbs, I guess you don't understand the difference. sorry for you to read it!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder