Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinequack180
journeyman
Loc: new england
BEST Incubator
    #602590 - 04/08/02 08:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Hello, I recently purchased two big ol' rubbermaid bins that are the same size, an aquarium heater (Whisper Advanced Heater... 30-60Gal Aquarium, 200W, 10"/ It says "New and Improved Adjustable Electronic Thermostat). I was curious as to what tek is the easiest and safest to follow. I noticed in one tek, the idea of tube clamps was introduced to suspend the heater so it doesnt touch the plastic? Does this work safely? Also, what do most people use for suspension of the upper bin? I didn't realise the incubator was going to be such a big step! Please, help a brotha out!

thanks...

p.s. The heater says it is best used verticaly in an aquarium. Do I need to get a different heater? If so, which would you all recommend?

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenw2shroom
shroom deity
Loc: Tu hablas el Spanglish??
Re: BEST Incubator [Re: quack180]
    #602730 - 04/08/02 10:02 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

i have two rubbermaids but they arent that big,,
i just have h202 and h20 in the bottom of one
about 4 inches , i put the fish tank heater wich is adjustable taped to the insode , you can submersre this one all the way and set the top container inside the one with water. i used som duct tape to hold the top container at the right hiegth in the bottom one so the it doesnt just float in the tub , but has water going up the sides a bit , aand to also keep the heater in the water, and not let it brun out, put a towel inside as a buffer and a temp guage adjust it intil its stay about 85 , oh yeah i also put a blanket on it to keep in the heat, add water about everuy five days, aout a cup thats all, nice warmth, not drying heat, but not humid, that was yproblem last time, my incubator was TOO humid and i use rye jars, and i was drowning my grain,,
if this is what you were talking about, and if you want i can take some pics of it for ya so you can see what i did?
just post and let me know laters

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: BEST Incubator [Re: nw2shroom]
    #603040 - 04/09/02 05:55 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

hey thanks- I was curious if that is a safe setup? I heard using tape was dangerous, won't the heater melt it? What kind of heater do you have?

--------------------
weed is for smoking

OfflineGaNjAShRooM
===SPUN===

Loc: Southern United States
    #603064 - 04/09/02 07:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

nah-man think about it-i set my jars to 86 degrees-on a hot summer day it gets 86-does it melt anything outside in natural conditions?86 f isnt really that hot at all-as long as the heater is submerged,it wont hurt nothing to tape-i doubt it would if it wasnt submerged,but that might kill your heater-

i use a 300 watt aquarium heater-
this is how my set is-
i have a huge rubbermaid-on wheels-prolly about 50-60 gallons,it dont say exactly how big it is-i have another square container i fill with water and sit insde this big rubbermaid-it sits sideways and takes about half the floor of the rubbermaid up-i put my heater in there-then i just set my jars on the floor beside the square container of water(the other half of the rubbermaid)
humidity is very high using this method,but it has never been a problem for me
i can fit 4 rows of 25 jars- 1/2 pint-

--------------------
Cultivation Laws Of America Suck

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #603127 - 04/09/02 08:56 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Just be sure you watch your setup after it is built for a few heat/cool cycles. If anything is going to melt or burn you will catch it right away. As long as the heater is used properly in water I don't think it will get hot enough to melt tape.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinequack180
journeyman
Re: BEST Incubator [Re: Seuss]
    #603243 - 04/09/02 11:11 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

So, here's my idea- I'm gonna set up the lower bin, put a good amount of water in it, put the heater in held down with the tube clamps (or tape if all else fails). Then, the other bin I'll put over it, resting ontop the water (is this ok? Or do I need something to hold it up?). Put a temp gauge inside, cover w/ blanket, check everything before putting jars in... Sound good? Any problems? BTW- has anyone used the heater I purchased (above post)? I'm still wondering if it is suitable.

thanks

--------------------
weed is for smoking

Offlinenw2shroom
shroom deity
Loc: Tu hablas el Spanglish??
    #603273 - 04/09/02 11:45 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

well mine is a adjustrable heater, i dont remember the series but i bought it a walmart, it has a red protect cap that goes over the adjuster nob..
i think the best way to do that would but to make the top rubbermaid actually sit in the water so that the water goes up the sides a few inches, by using the weight of the jars or like me i actually taped the top to the bottom, better heat distribtion, go look at anno's tek for a similar incubator,
i got the idea from him, mine is just a adjusment because i couldnt find the same things he used,

Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies