Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Aust??
    #599277 - 04/05/02 03:16 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I have given up completely on identifying Australian woodloving Psilocybes! After watching the documentary on magic mushrooms in Western Australia 'Fungamentary' where an elderly Mycogolist earnestly identifys a large brown-capped WAVY-CAPPED mushroom as Psilocybe Subaeruginosa - I am lost! Is this ID correct? Or is it that when someone finds a psilocybe of any description in Australia, it is labelled as Subaeruginosa??
According to Stamet's 'Psilocybe Mushrooms of the World' Ps.Subaeruginosa is a small brown mushroom that only expands to obtusely convex at full maturity. In this case, i havent found this mushroom!! Ive found three dark brown mushrooms and one orange capped psilocybe and all four uplifted and three out of four were wavy-capped on maturity - unlike Stamet's description! The orange capped mushroom was unique in that it had a small nipple, stained blue on the cap and had veil remnants on the margin that uplifts but does not go wavy on full maturity. The sceond mushroom was a small dark mushroom that has been tentatively ided as Ps.Cyanescens. The third mushroom is a dark wavy capped meaty mushroom shown below similar to the mushroom from 'Bunniyup'(incorrect spelling) western Australia - and the last is the closest ive found to Stamet's Subaeruginosa - in that it is umbonated and rarely uplifts and displays the dark cap colour.
any ideas?? Mj???

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineaussishroomhead
enthusiast
Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Aust?? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #601943 - 04/08/02 06:34 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Yeha I whatched that documentary last year, Im amazed that they were growing out of grass.WOuldnt mind taking a trip over to WA to find some of them.
When did the season start for you, what is the temp down your way?

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Aust?? [Re: aussishroomhead]
    #601945 - 04/08/02 06:38 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

it started raining about a week ago or so...
The shrooms on that doco were grwoing from wood debris amongst the grass

--------------------

OfflineMushyMay
Brian Eno is mypersonal God FNORD

Loc: ACT, Australia
Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Au [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #602440 - 04/08/02 05:48 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

That's exactly the problem I've had with identifying my local patch. On the fungimentary, the mycologist notes the wavy cap mushroom as Ps.Subaeruginosa, but in Stamets book he says no wavy cap. Our local mushrooms sound like the ones that you describe "orange capped mushroom was unique in that it had a small nipple, stained blue on the cap and had veil remnants on the margin that uplifts but does not go wavy on full maturity" (I'll try to get a photo up later today.) It's all pretty darn confusing but I must say that there is a very high possibility that there are a number of hitherto unidentified psilocybe mushrooms native to Australia. They are all similar to the Ps.Subaeruginosa, but show the same variety as the cubensis. Local environment no doubt plays a large role in the diversity of the species. Stamets book "PMOTW" states that there have been disagreements about the division of Ps.Australiana/Ps. Eucalypta/Ps.Subaeruginosa, but I think that the evidence is mounting that there are a variety of Australian natives that could fit under the label of Ps.Subaeruginosa. If you can get Amazonian Cubensis, Hawaiian Cubensis etc, why not Brisbane Ps.Subaeruginosa, Melbourne Ps.Subaeruginosa etc? I can't wait to get my hands on a good microscope.

BTW it's "Balingup"

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

OfflineMushyMay

Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Au [Re: MushyMay]
    #602890 - 04/09/02 01:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Wow, sorry about the long winded reply people. I just noticed how full of hot air I am. Here's that pic.

--------------------
MushyMay is a fictional character, as a result any information provided by MushyMay is also fictitious.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Au [Re: MushyMay]
    #602943 - 04/09/02 02:33 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

mmm...The botanist I know says to look for rhizomorphes protruding from the stem base into the air - he thinks that Australiana doesnt have these... nice mushies btw!!!

--------------------

InvisibleMagicRooms
Hunter & Collector
Male

Loc: Australia
    #602948 - 04/09/02 02:43 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

The study of fungi in Australia is all very new. We haven?t been documenting long enough to be sure about all the mushrooms that grow and that is why we should all keep posting pictures and information on our finds. There must be heaps of closely related species and many different local strains
Please don?t give up mate.

Offlinezhukov
enthusiast
Loc: Australia
Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Aust?? [Re: MagicRooms]
    #603086 - 04/09/02 07:49 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

.....and apparently, less than half of Australia's fungi has been identified at all...

OfflineMushyMay

Re: Ps.Subaeruginosa looks like Ps.Cyanescens?? Au [Re: MagicRooms]
    #603830 - 04/09/02 11:23 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Your right MagicRooms, we just have to keep searching for Australian fungus and document our findings with comments and photos. I know that's what I plan to do.

--------------------

Anonymous

#603889 - 04/10/02 12:42 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Microscope will help the cause greatly.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom