Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGreyMatter
enthusiast

Loc: USA
Disposing of jars....
    #601514 - 04/07/02 05:47 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I dont have a pressure cooker. I just use a pot with boiling water. Ive read about PC'ing your contam'd jars before disposing of them. Can I just through them out? Or what? Honestly, I have no idea how to dispose of jars, and didnt really think about it until now. Please let me know what is the basic way of doing this.
Also, do you have to clean them out anyway if you dont keep the jars? Cause I guess if you through a jar away with mycelium growing in it whether contam'd or not, you can get in trouble with the law.
Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Re: Disposing of jars.... [Re: GreyMatter]
    #601602 - 04/07/02 08:21 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Holding them underwater in a mild bleach solution while opening/emptying them might do the trick. You can reuse the bleach water several times if it's at 10%. Account for ventilation or depending on the # jars, you can get sick from bleach fumes instead of mold spores.

OfflineDrAbeLincoln
enthusiast

#601618 - 04/07/02 08:38 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I hate my neighbor...so he gets them launched into his yard

OfflineRaven_420
TITLE

Loc: Canada
Re: Disposing of jars.... [Re: DrAbeLincoln]
    #601675 - 04/07/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

That's hilarious... you chuck them in your neighbours yard? haha... Wouldn't that be a bitch if one colonized nicely somehow and your neighbour actually got a harvest.... But the chances of that happening are slim.. so HA... thats damn funny.

--------------------
* The above post is not meant to be the thoughts and/or opinions of the author. I am relaying information for an acquintance and only write in first-person to simplify the process

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #602116 - 04/08/02 11:00 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

If you don't mind losing the money, tie the jar in a plastic bag and toss it in the trash outside without opening it. This is the safest thing to do, from a health standpoint. If you decide to save the jar, either PC it first (which you cannot do since you don't have a PC) or open it up under liquid in a 10% bleach solution. Watch out for those bubbles... they can still contain a lot of spores depending on the contamination. You could also just boil the jars I suppose... you won't kill 100% of everything, but better than nothing. If you do heat the jars somehow, be sure the vent holes are no clogged or you will get a nasty surprise when they explode from the pressure differential.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Disposing of jars.... [Re: Seuss]
    #602666 - 04/08/02 09:07 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I take my jars outside as soon as i see anything contam wise.

I put on a respirator....and open the jars and dump them into a plastic lined garbage can...that is outside under my deck.
I have a large rubbermaid with bleach water outside.....I throw the jars in that.
After they have soaked for a few days....I take them and wash them out.
Then throw em in the dishwasher.
Works like a charm....and I don't have to throw the jars away.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale