Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Loc: bat country
Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub
    #6017633 - 09/01/06 07:42 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Im planing to do a panaeolus cyanescens monotub grow in the near future and am trying to figure out how this is gojng to work. Seeing as its getting cooler at this time of year, i will need to supply the monotub with heat to achieve the required temperature and was wondering if a TiT setup would work?
This would mean that the polyfill holes will have to be on the lid instead of the sides of the tub. If this is going to require me to fan/mist 8 times a day i dont mind at all, i just want to know if this will work out with good results.
Any thoughts? (preferably from the experienced growers :wink:)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: zeegos]
    #6017774 - 09/01/06 08:55 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

There's no way that will work. The holes have to be on the bottom because the CO2 is heavy and sinks in the tub. If all the holes were in the top you would get almost no air exchange. What's the temp in your grow room?

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#6017794 - 09/01/06 09:07 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I don't have experience with Pans yet but I'm planning to try them out in the very near future so I've been reading up on them. I will need to add a little heat to my pans as well and I have planed to do them very similar to your grow. I would be much more optimistic then some members here on your success.

The original tek for double tubs (where the mono-tub idea comes from) isn't supposed to be opened at all. I have never found the air exchange to be all that great with Tub grows although it does seem to be sufficient for growing cubies.

From what I read Pans require quite a bit of FAE and a constant rate of evaporation. I've seen pan grows where people just cover the top of a tub with plastic wrap, wait until they see pinning then peel back the plastic wrap in order to allow a constant rate of evaporation.

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: musher_420]
    #6017826 - 09/01/06 09:25 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

The temp of my room is about 19*C. Ok how about if i didnt do a TiT, instead how about taping a heat bomb to the inside of the lid? (i just hope i can do that with a big 300W aquarium heater) That would mean i can have holes at the right levels on my tub so the dense CO2 wont collect above the substrate.
Im determined to make this monotub idea work.

Nice to see your also interested in this musher. One question though, i dont really understand the constant evaporation? I'll look into it

Edited by zeegos (09/01/06 09:27 AM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6017838 - 09/01/06 09:34 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I see a couple of problems. First, heating terrariums almost never works out. It causes condensation to form on the sides, and this condensation is humidity you need in the air. You need to heat the room the project is in, not the project itself.

Second, copes don't do well in thick substrates. Most monotub grows have thicker than 1 1/2" substrates, which should be considered maximum with pans.

Third, you'll want to remove any polyfill in the holes to acheive air exchange. The polyfil might allow gas exchange, but not enough fresh air for copes.

Fourth, put vent holes top and bottom for circulation.

Personally, I'd use small trays rather than a monotob which puts all your eggs are in one basket.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6017897 - 09/01/06 09:55 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I hear what your saying Rogger.

Last winter I did a few mono-tubs but when I tried boosting the heat in the room it always took the humidity in the room way down and dried out my tubs. So this winter I think I'm gonna put a humidifier into the room. What style of humidifier would work best for boosting the rooms humidity? A wick style?

--------------------
My Humidifier Reservoir Expansion Tek

Must read links for beginners

Btw- You are not what you own!

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6017970 - 09/01/06 10:26 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I don't like wicking humidifiers for any purpose. They harbor molds. Use an impeller type cool mist or two in the room you grow in.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineSinthetic
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6018041 - 09/01/06 10:48 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I didn't say I wasn't optimistic about his success. I said that you can't have success with a monotub with only holes on the top. That's a fact.

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: Sinthetic]
    #6018178 - 09/01/06 11:21 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I understand all your points RR and i'm going to try to make my growing conditions as good as possible. One thing i dont understand though is how internal heating in a monotub will cause condensation? If anything i would have thought it would encourage higher humidity?

Offlinecoda
Banjo Goiter
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: Sinthetic]
    #6018189 - 09/01/06 11:23 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

id also suggest against using a monotub type setup as the air exchanges pans seem to like would be extremely lacking. The pan grows ive seen which have fruited well have all been in martha type setups where a continuous air exchange was present. I attempted a monotub setup with pans keeping my substrate at about an inch. I was able to fruit the substrate but the pinset was poor and over 3 flushes i only netted about 6 grams dry. I even manually fanned the tub at least three times a day.

Like RR noted, you're better off using several smaller casings then you are with one large one.

--------------------
To get really high is to forget yourself. And to forget yourself is to see everything else. And to see everything else is to become an understanding molecule in evolution, a conscious tool of the universe. And I think every human being should be a conscious tool of the universe. . . .

-JG

i really am glad you came back to us instead of taking the other path. *hug*

-A_S (RIP your final words to me will never be forgotten)

Don't fuck with the laughing jesus.

Offlinezeegos
Shroomagator
 User Gallery

Re: Panaeolus Cyanescens TiT Monotub [Re: coda]
    #6018221 - 09/01/06 11:36 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I couldent possibly have an advanced setup seeing as im still living with the folks therefor i need to try and keep things simple.
Surely regular fanning would be enough? like 10-15 times a day? I know it sounds rediculous but it doesnt exactly take long.
Im gonna give this a shot anyway, just for the hell of it. If i fail then you can say "I told you so"  :grin:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck