Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTEXACE
Coco Coir Questions?
    #601620 - 04/07/02 08:49 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I AM USING COCO COIR FOR MY CASING AND I HAVE A QUESTION OR TWO TO ASK.

1) WHAT IS A GOOD DEPTH FOR THE ACTUAL CASING. HOW MUCH COCO ON THE BOTTOM AND HOW MUCH ON TOP?

2) ALSO WOULD COMBINING COCO COIR WITH VERMICULITE OR PEAT MOSS OR OYSTER SHELLS OR HYDRATED LIME MAYBE HAVE A GREATER YEILD?

3) DO YOU TREAT THIS JUST LIKE THE 50/50 BY AIRING IT OUT AND MISTING IT EVERY ONCE AND A WHILE?

4) DO YOU HAVE TO STERILIZE IT?

5) HOW DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH WATER SHOULD BE PUT IN THE COCO COIR BEFORE PUTTING IN A CASING?

ALSO, I AM USING EQ'S SO IF ANYONE HAS HAD SUCCESS WITH COCO AND EQ'S I WOULD MORE THAN APPRECIATE SOME COMMENTS OR ANSWERS.

THANKS

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Loc: Montana
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: TEXACE]
    #601650 - 04/07/02 09:41 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

1.) 3" to 4" of substrate.......1/4" of casing per inch of substrate.

2.) probably....but I use just Coco Coir alone....so someone else should answer this.

3.) straight Coco Coir....yes I do....its easy to tell if its damp...the color changes.

4.) I do....friend of mine wasn't and he was getting contams.

5.) I clean my hands really good....and I squeeze the Coco Coir.....til only a few drops are dripping out my hand.....better a little dry that too wet....you can always spray the top if it looks a little dry.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Who the hell you callin crazy?
You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:
PM the names with on there names, that means they have mushrooms for sale.

OfflineTEXACE
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: Roadkill]
    #601668 - 04/07/02 10:20 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

ok you say 3 to 4 inches... so inch on the bottom then colonized cake broken up and then nother inch or so?? sorry kinda confused

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #601681 - 04/07/02 10:40 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I don't use a casing layer on the bottom.

You can put on a bottom casing layer.....I just don't.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating froot loops on your front porch!

Brainiac said:

Edited by Roadkill (04/07/02 10:42 PM)

Offlinedarkfly
LysergicExperimenter

#601722 - 04/07/02 11:25 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

straight coco works fine, I dont know about putting 1 inch casing layer on 3 inches of substrate, I use about 1/4 - 1/2 with 1/4 on bottom on -3-4 inch of substrate. I dont sterilize just soak for 15 min in a pot of water/h202 squeeze till its moist and case.

--------------------
Everything Is Blue In This World. The Deepest Shade Of Mushroom Blue.

Offlinefidget
Fungus Hunter
Male

Loc: Oregon
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: darkfly]
    #601801 - 04/08/02 01:01 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

what is coco coir??

--------------------
- fidget

"With ordinary consciousness you can't even begin to know what's happening."

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: fidget]
    #601810 - 04/08/02 01:10 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Coco Coir is coconut husk that is ground up...basically

You can buy it from Pet shops....Its used as Reptile bedding.
It comes in blocks....they look like a brick.
Several brand names....the one I use is Forrest Bed...made by T-Rex.

You can also buy it online and from Hydroponics shops.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

OfflineOrchidman
enthusiast
Loc: Toronto
    #601921 - 04/08/02 04:54 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I have been using coco coir for years for my orchids and have great success with it. Just make sure to wash it and wash it and wash it to get the salts out. It then becomes a wonderful product. Any condensation on the sides of the box will make its way down into the coir and wick its way into the casing. I have never used it on mushrooms yet but I think it will be very good. It goes light in colour as it dries. One gentleman wrote in to say that he had trouble keeping it wet???
I am experimenting with another product for my orchids which is old fashioned style kitty litter. This is baked Kentucky clay and is used to grab up all the water and hold it. It never seems to get too wet and lets air back in when the water settles. My orchids seem to like it as it stays damp for a long time. Anyone into experimenting like I am should look at it for mushrooms. Do not get clumping, perfumed, or any other additives. It is cheap and available everywhere. Just imagine if it works well for mushrooms what a bonus this would be. I would mix it with the coir as well for a new 50/50 mix. How about a brf tec using kitty litter and brf. In my mind it would work.

--------------------
I've been having psilly dreams lately

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #602056 - 04/08/02 09:55 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

My friend is still learning how to use coir, so my answers may not be the best...

1) typical depth of a casing layer is around 1/4 the depth of the substrate layer.
1a) don't use coir on the bottom. If you use anything, stick to plain vermiculite.
2) my friend combines vermiculite and coir to help maintain the moisture a bit longer. Coir seems to dry out very quickly without the added vermiculite. My friend also adds some chalk and oyster shell for ph buffer (not needed as badly as with peat) and for texture.
3) yes, though you have to mist more often because coir seems to dry out quickly
4) some say yes, others say no, and yet more say pasteurize it only. My friend has never had any success if she didn't at least pasteurize it. My friends usually sterilizes hers, but she has lots of contamination issues as well....
5) saturate it with water and the squeeze it out until it almost stops dripping

My friend is amazed at the pinsets that forms on coir. It is truely impressive. However, my friend is also amazed at the contamination rate on coir. It is also truely impressive in a not so good way. If anybody has tips for avoiding cobweb with coir, I would love to hear them.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleRoadkillM
Retired Shroomery Mod
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: Seuss]
    #602884 - 04/09/02 12:51 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

has never had cob web mold using coco coir......yet.
*crosses fingers* hopes i didn't jinx myself.

I do have problems getting over 3 flushes from a casing.....using coco coir.
Ends up getting the green.

But after 3 good flushes....oh well.

--------------------
Laterz, Road

Brainiac said:

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #602983 - 04/09/02 03:48 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I just started using coco coir recentally myself. I mixed some with thick grade verm and some i just used alone. I found that the mycelia loves it and can sometimes quickly overlay (colonised the entire one inch thick surface in only four days).
I did get a few blotches of white-dot contam which i sprayed with alcohol and that solved that.
I also find that after a flush, the coco coir goes a funny reddish colour and despite repeated watering it stays that colour - dont know what this means...

--------------------

Offlinebabyshroom
addict
Loc: Florida
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #603201 - 04/09/02 10:35 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

"white-dot contam" - does this stuff precede green crap? I've recently lost 2 casings to green. First there was some nice (I though) white stuff there, then the green popped up. Did you spray the white stuff with straight alcohol?
Damn, I feel stupid. I've been throwing them out. Off to the contam forum....

--------------------
I don't really know anyone who grows mushrooms. I just come here for fun.

Invisiblerebelmoon
enthusiast
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #603252 - 04/09/02 11:20 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

did you notice any differences b/t the two (straight coir and mixed w/ verm)?

--------------------
"habit is the ballast that chains the dog to its vomit" - s beckett

OfflineJrshrooms
beginner
Male
    #13862702 - 01/27/11 08:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a question/problem.. Iam using the wild bird seed bulk method and have the fully colonized jar and have dunked it in water for over 24hrs and going to use the coco coir method to realize i had made a mistake and got coco FIBER!  so actually 2 questions...

1. Can I still use the coco fiber as the substrate/casing...?

2. if not, and have to go out and get coco coir, what would happen to my spawn.? its been sitting in cold water, hydrating for over 24 hours.. i have realized the mistake at 11pm at night so everythings closed and have to wait till tomorrow, therefore another 24 hours
Would too much time in water harm/kill/drown the spawn or anything like that??? please help thanks

Invisiblehamloaf
Pork Block
Male User Gallery

Loc: ation is turned off.
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: Jrshrooms]
    #13864665 - 01/28/11 05:28 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Coco Coir is coconut husk that is ground up...basically

No, coco coir is coconut pith.
Coconut pith is the fibery part of the cocnut located just under the coconut's heavy husk.

Coco coir is extracted by soaking in water for 9 months.
The 9 month water soak removes natural resins, salt, and gums through a process called retting.
After the soak, the coir is beaten to separate the husk from the pith. 

Quote:

Jrshrooms said:
I have a question/problem.. Iam using the wild bird seed bulk method and have the fully colonized jar and have dunked it in water for over 24hrs and going to use the coco coir method to realize i had made a mistake and got coco FIBER!  so actually 2 questions...

1. Can I still use the coco fiber as the substrate/casing...?

2. if not, and have to go out and get coco coir, what would happen to my spawn.? its been sitting in cold water, hydrating for over 24 hours.. i have realized the mistake at 11pm at night so everythings closed and have to wait till tomorrow, therefore another 24 hours
Would too much time in water harm/kill/drown the spawn or anything like that??? please help thanks

When spawning fully colonized grains to base organic materials such as coir, it's no longer referred to as a casing.  Inoculating bulk substrate material with fully colonized grain spawn is referred to as "spawning to a bulk substrate". 

Some have used coco husk with success.  The major down falls of coco husk over coir when it comes to the utilization of the husk over the pith as a bulk substrate for the mushroom culture is, density and texture of substrate.

Your spawn will be fine hydrating for over 24 hours.  Just replace the dunk water with fresh water every 24 hours of the dunk to discourage mold spore germination and fermentation.  The most time fully colonized spawn blocks were left to hydrate due to similar newbish mistakes was 72 hours.  Changed the water every 24 hours and fruited healthy fruit bodies.

--------------------

How I Get Stuff done. - My Reference Guide. - My Grows.

Edited by liquidmyce (01/28/11 05:53 AM)

OfflineNekonation
I'm a teapot

Pasteurization [Re: TEXACE]
    #27418303 - 08/07/21 02:06 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

My ex grew mushies but I am getting ready to do it myself for the first time and am curious about something that might be time saving or a disaster depending on responses....

Can I pasteurize a large amount of coco coir in advance of when I would use it and leave what I don't use right away in the container? What kind of complications could arise?

--------------------
:mushroom2: Why bitch about things? If you can't change them there's no point. If you can change them then bitching just wastes time you could use for making changes. :grin:

Edited by Nekonation (08/08/21 02:39 PM)

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: Coco Coir Questions? [Re: babyshroom]
    #27418309 - 08/07/21 02:13 PM (2 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

babyshroom said:
"white-dot contam" - does this stuff precede green crap?  I've recently lost 2 casings to green.  First there was some nice (I though) white stuff there, then the green popped up.  Did you spray the white stuff with straight alcohol?
<br>Damn, I feel stupid.  I've been throwing them out.  Off to the contam forum....

You cannot treat contams with iso.
Pls dont spray ur cakes w iso

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

OfflineNekonation
I'm a teapot

Re: Pasteurization [Re: Nekonation]
    #27456541 - 09/04/21 11:18 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Nekonation said:
Can I pasteurize a large amount of coco coir in advance of when I would use it and leave what I don't use right away in the container? What kind of complications could arise?

Still wondering about this...

--------------------
:mushroom2: Why bitch about things? If you can't change them there's no point. If you can change them then bitching just wastes time you could use for making changes. :grin:

Offlinewahhwahh
stupid idiot

Re: Pasteurization [Re: Nekonation]
    #27456548 - 09/04/21 11:26 PM (2 years, 6 months ago)

Lot of ppl use coir they "pasteurized" a week or two after they did it. It's probably slightly less than ideal but it hasn't caused me issues that I'm aware of.

OfflineBrownBear
Warrior-Traveler
 User Gallery

Re: Pasteurization [Re: wahhwahh]
    #27456597 - 09/05/21 01:38 AM (2 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was created in '02 bumped in '11 and now again in '21. :lol:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale