Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineAndy21
Armchairanarchist

Jobs and ideals
    #6008065 - 08/29/06 12:08 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I have been unemployed since graduating college in July and money has started to become an issue. Ramen noodles not being a great source of nutrition. Anyway my plan was to blow it all off take a shitty job save up and go working for Nova, teaching English in Japan. Today I got called up by some environmental recruitment agency offering me a job interview to work for BAE Systems. BAE Systems being the largest most amoral weapons manufacturer in Europe, supplying to all the dictators under the sun. What could they possibly want with a long haired Environmental Scientist? They have a contaminated land division and want me to help design stategies to clean up land they have contaminated with various types of nasty chemical, biological and nuclear waste. This is a great opportunity as very few employers give graduates without experience even an interview. On the downside products they produce have caused untold suffering and death throughout the world. I know I would not be involved in the actual weapons side of things but I get this horrible dark feeling everytime I contemplate smiling and bullshitting them at the interview. But then I need money, to survive myself. What is your take on it? I must sound like a whiny little bitch I know. I guess I will just go to the interview, I can always quit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Jobs and ideals [Re: Andy21]
    #6008079 - 08/29/06 12:16 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It sounds like you'd be helping them cleanup their act. If you find out that's not what is really going on then back out.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Jobs and ideals [Re: Cowgold]
    #6008165 - 08/29/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

You can be noble, and stand up for a cause by not accepting the job.

Unfortunately they'll just have someone else do it and you'll still be unemployed. Your ideals will not always be compatible with "real-world" life.

Take the job. Also, condier the possibility that simply interviewing will give you practice for an interview for a job you really want.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6008207 - 08/29/06 01:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Are you going to build weapons? No. Your job will be to clean up the environment, which is far more admirable work than what I've got available to me. Take the job or you'll regret it.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: Jobs and ideals [Re: Silversoul]
    #6008291 - 08/29/06 01:25 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

you can also take action as a whistle blower and blow the cover on any wrong doings. in the us whistle blowers are actually legally protected from being fired, and im sure that there is similar legislation out in the uk.

id say go for the interview, see where it goes.

when they ask you to start gassing tet subjects, resign.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

OfflineAndy21
Armchairanarchist

Re: Jobs and ideals [Re: ZippoZ]
    #6008822 - 08/29/06 04:00 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks guys, I will definately go to the interview. Either way people get bombed, this way I get money  :crazy:

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #6011048 - 08/30/06 08:55 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

This is pretty much what Krishna told Arjuna in the Bahagavad-Gita. Have fun eating something besides ramen...

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Jump to top Pages: 1

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom