Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDruidus
Stranger
I found hundreds of mushrooms... I've got one spore print done, and I'd like some help IDing it
    #6009183 - 08/29/06 05:45 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I found many mushrooms, and I'm trying to ID them all now...

Habitat: Grassy field in Ontario, Canada. Very close to the border of Michigan. All of them were growing on soil, including this one.
Characteristics of the gills: The gills are roughly pinkish/light brownish. I believe they are attached, though I'm not completely sure (sorry).

Characteristics of the stem: It's roughly 4 inches in length, a little wider in diameter than one inch. The colour is whitish on the outside and yellowish on the inside. The texture is smooth, but the inside is rougher. It appears to be semi-hollow, with many cavities inside the stalk. It is rather thick.

Characteristics of the cap: It is 7-8 inches in diameter. It is white. The surface is smooth, and it is neither conical or spherical, but wide and flatish. The middle is slightly raised over the edges. It is convex.

Spore print color: There appear to be two colours in the print. It has some grey/blackish colour, but as it goes further into the center of the mushroom, the colour turns to a brown that appears slightly golden.

Color that the mushroom bruises: It does not appear to bruise.
Scent of the mushroom: It smells sweetish, but it also has that characteristic mushroom smell to it. Not unpleasant, but it isn't a wonderful smell either.

I cannot get a picture, I'm sorry, but I don't have a digital camera and I don't know anyone in the area I could borrow from (on vacation).

Edited by Druidus (08/29/06 05:50 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
Re: I found hundreds of mushrooms... I've got one spore print done, and I'd like some help IDing it [Re: Druidus]
    #6009293 - 08/29/06 06:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Nice description. Sounds very much like an Agaricus of some sort. Was there a ring around the stem? Look up Agaricus on www.mushroomexpert.com and see if any match yours.

Invisiblepsiclops
# 1
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: I found hundreds of mushrooms... I've got one spore print done, and I'd like some help IDing it [Re: xmush]
    #6009341 - 08/29/06 06:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

agreed. And yes, nice description.

OfflineDruidus
Stranger
Re: I found hundreds of mushrooms... I've got one spore print done, and I'd like some help IDing it [Re: xmush]
    #6009374 - 08/29/06 06:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

There was a veil around the stem, and it was not attached to the cap. Sorry, I should have included that in the post.

I'm looking at the Agaricus now, but nothing about this kind yet...

OfflineDruidus
Stranger
Re: I found hundreds of mushrooms... I've got one spore print done, and I'd like some help IDing it [Re: Druidus]
    #6009422 - 08/29/06 06:52 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I found one species it resembles, at least in the mature form. Agaricus campestris seems to fit. http://www.mushroomexpert.com/agaricus_campestris.html

Edible, but I don't really want to risk it yet, because it is supposedly easily misidentified (according to that page). Neither of the lookalikes they suggested could be what I have, though.

The top picture resembles it, if the mushroom in the picture was bigger (longer stem and wider cap).

Edited by Druidus (08/29/06 06:54 PM)

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6009482 - 08/29/06 07:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I thought so. Many Agaricus have a sweet scent like you described. Very much like anise or fennel, or even licorice-like. Then the pink gills, brown spores and the fact that you found a lot of them. How long did you let the sporeprint go for? I usually let them sit for at least 4 hours before peeking at them, but then let them sit overnight. Then you'll have a nice collection of spores.

OfflineDruidus
Stranger
    #6009508 - 08/29/06 07:20 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

I only left it for roughly two hours, but it was still a strong sporeprint. 

Actually, I only found roughly a dozen of these ones.  I found a total of 12 different types of mushroom, I think, and dozens of each.  :laugh:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures