Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTS10
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery

Possible S.A. ?
    #6008068 - 08/29/06 12:09 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Around here I typically come across various non-actives/non-edibles so this one was a bit of a surprise. This was a lone specimen in an area where I had previously dumped a quart of failed* S.A. LC.(*Although there was mycelial growth, I consider it failed due to substandard nutrient level.) Details are as follows:

Habitat: Thin strip of wooded area b/w two fields. This area is dense with trees, shrubs, etc. so ground level recieves only filtered sunlight. Ferns & mosquitoes(bastards) love this area. This pic should give you a good idea.

The next 3 pics shows general characteristics:

The color of the specimen in the pics is slightly darker than actual.
The cap was dry & smooth textured, the flesh firm. The stem was hollow, but very firm as well. The next 4 pics show a better view of the cut stem and gill structure:

Additional Info: No noticeable color change upon bruising. Spore print was unsuccessful after 24 hours.(Technique was good, I just think all the spores had already dropped.)Smell was light and typical of fresh mushrooms. All pics were re-sized as the originals were all over 500K each. Hopefully most of the detail is still intact.

Since this mushroom grew in an area where I had dumped an LC, and I have not found another like it growing anywhere else I believe it may be a S.A.. However, since there was no noticeable color change after bruising and I could not get a print, I have my doubts. What say you?

--------------------
Gee Elsie, how do you do it?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible S.A. ? [Re: TS10]
    #6008262 - 08/29/06 01:17 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

It doesn't look like a cube at all to me.. maybe you couldn't see the print because it was white? What color paper did you try to do it on? Lack of blue bruising should pretty much go to show that it's not a cube. That's an easy feature that you could use in the future..

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

OfflineTS10
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery

Re: Possible S.A. ? [Re: eris]
    #6008735 - 08/29/06 03:23 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

eris - It didn't look like one to me either, but I have seen some odd ones at times. The thing that caught me off guard was that this mushroom grew w/in a foot or two of where I dumped the LC, and I have never seen any other type of mushroom grow in that area.(Doesn't mean nothing ever has, I've just never seen anything.) The lack of blueing definately raised a red flag. I did use white paper so it is possible that what spores remained were white. This has really got me scratching my head because I've never seen anything like it around here, and I don't know WTF it is. lol

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Possible S.A. ? [Re: TS10]
    #6008762 - 08/29/06 03:34 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Well how long ago did you dump it? Not sure if the habitat and/or conditions are even right enough for anything to grow out of what you dumped there. I'm no expert cultivator though. I have grown SA strain cubes years ago, also some edibles.. always been more of a hunter though.

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Possible S.A. ? [Re: eris]
    #6008952 - 08/29/06 04:37 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

EDIT: sorry, meant to reply to TS10.

Those are not S.A.'s or any other cubensis for that matter.

It is not uncommon for mushrooms to grow in areas where you dump spent substrate or even LC. I often times have mushrooms growing in my substrate graveyard....usually, it is everything BUT cubensis that pops up.

Spent substrate or LC still has nutrients to it and can attract a plethora of different wild mushrooms to colonize and fruit.

This is just a coincidence.

As far as what it is exactly....without a print, it's just another LBM...too hard to say.

Edited by srgtm1a (08/29/06 04:49 PM)

OfflineTS10
Stranger thanfiction
 User Gallery

Re: Possible S.A. ? [Re: srgtm1a]
    #6016504 - 08/31/06 07:54 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys.:thumbup: I still surprise myself sometimes letting wishful thinking get in the way of rational thought. Hopefully, another one or two of these will pop up and I'll be able to get a good print.(With all the rain we've been getting and will continue to get the next day or two maybe it'll happen soon.)

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom