Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleDNKYD
Turtle!

Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop
    #6007675 - 08/29/06 10:04 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop

Richard Luscombe in Miami
Tuesday August 29, 2006
The Guardian

California farmers are on a high after the liberal state moved to overturn part of a 70-year-old US ban on growing and harvesting cannabis plants.
But those hoping that the so-called Golden State is about to become a marijuana smokers' paradise will be disappointed. The California proposal relates only to the cultivation of industrial hemp, used in the manufacture of items such as cosmetics, food, paper and clothing.

"Hemp bears no more resemblance to marijuana than a poodle bears to a wolf," said Tom McClintock, a Republican state senator who backed legislation that would reverse one key section of a 1937 law banning the growth of all types of the plant. "You'd die from smoke inhalation before you'd get high."

The hemp issue has been burning slowly for decades. Farmers including the former US presidents George Washington and Thomas Jefferson grew the plants on their land. But the wide-ranging federal ban put an end to that.
Those who want it lifted argue that industrial hemp bears no relation to marijuana because it contains only trace amounts of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active ingredient in marijuana.

National drug-control policy opposes the legalisation of hemp because it argues that crops could be mixed with marijuana plants and would be very hard to detect.

"California is a great climate to grow pot in, and no one from law enforcement is going through the fields to do a chemical analysis of different plants,"said a drug-control official.

While six states have passed bills supporting hemp farming, California's is the first to mount a direct challenge to the federal ban by arguing that no special permit would be needed from the Drug Enforcement Administration.

The final say now rests with California's governor, Arnold Schwarzenegger, after the state's assembly approved the Industrial Hemp Farming Act by 44 votes to 29. He is thought unlikely to veto it.

The legislation requires that hemp crops be tested to ensure they do not contain THC. It does not specify how the testing would be carried out, but there is expected to be no shortage of volunteers.

Eric Steenstra, president of the Vote Hemp campaign, said the future of an industry worth $270m (£142m) a year would be protected. "We thank legislators from both parties that listened to the facts about industrial hemp and made a historic decision to bring back the crop," he said.

"It's a major accomplishment for thousands of environmentally conscious voters, farmers and businesses."

California has a thriving industry in the manufacture of products made from hemp, which also includes luggage, toys, sports equipment, jewellery and rope. Energy bars are particularly popular because hemp is high in essential fatty acids, protein, Vitamin B and fibre. Until now, however, raw materials have had to be imported from Canada, where hemp cultivation was legalised in 1998.

Those in the industry told the New York Times that the biggest flaw in the federal ban was that it did not take into account the genetic differences between industrial and THC-rich hemp.

"They want to lump together all things cannabis," said David Bronner, whose family business makes environmentally friendly cosmetics and snack products using hemp oil in Escondido, California. "You don't associate a poppy-seed bagel with opium."

Hemp thrived as a crop before the 1937 ban. It earned a temporary reprieve during the second world war, when farmers were urged to "Grow Hemp for Victory" to help produce military equipment such as parachute cords and boots.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEquilibriuM
dream stalker

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: DNKYD]
    #6007703 - 08/29/06 10:14 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

YAY!!

--------------------
HELP!!!!!!!!!

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: DNKYD]
    #6007704 - 08/29/06 10:14 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

this is still great news.. hemp has soo many uses..

its uses as a biomass fuel should be what we are concentrating on throughout the country.

also it can be made into plastics and paper.. and tons of other textile products

this is really a great step!

--------------------
Banez' PF Tek For Beginners

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: Banez]
    #6007705 - 08/29/06 10:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

if we could get our representatives in ohio to come up with something similar i will be the first one buying up rural land and having hemp as the primary crop!

--------------------

Invisibledr_gonz
. [Re: DNKYD]
    #6007768 - 08/29/06 10:32 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Offline76degrees
Apprentice

Loc: Middle Earth
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: dr_gonz]
    #6007843 - 08/29/06 10:54 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

sounds like a step in the right direction.

--------------------
The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it.

InvisibleTheWay
just some dude
Male User Gallery

Loc: free
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: 76degrees]
    #6007961 - 08/29/06 11:31 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

awesome! I've also read that industrial hemp is a perfect crop to rotate with corn, because most corn farmers take a loss when selling the crops they rotate with corn, but hemp is so profitable, that they could make steady money with all their fields and keep the soil nice.
Imho, corn is equally as interesting as hemp.

--------------------

Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: TheWay]
    #6007981 - 08/29/06 11:38 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

"California is a great climate to grow pot in, and no one from law enforcement is going through the fields to do a chemical analysis of different plants,"said a drug-control official.

That is the shit that pisses me off. He could have worded it "we are to lazy to do our job, so we will just make it all illegal"

Although, of course, I believe none of it should be illegal, i think its funny the excuse they use to create another law restricting freedom.

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: dedjam]
    #6008315 - 08/29/06 01:30 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Or he could have said, I am a turd, and got the same message across.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: kake]
    #6008454 - 08/29/06 02:06 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

"The legislation requires that hemp crops be tested to ensure they do not contain THC. It does not specify how the testing would be carried out, but there is expected to be no shortage of volunteers."

That quote is funny as hell. Hemp is definitly the plant that will save the Human Race. My whole family are Hempsters, we have been studying Hemp since 1996. What is sad are the millions of americans that don't know what hemp is or associate Hemp and Marijuana as the same.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: downlowfunk]
    #6009208 - 08/29/06 05:56 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i mean hemp def has the ability to be america's biggest cash crop.. and back in the 30's it was slowly becoming that way.. until the tabacco industry and government launched its anti-marijuana/ hemp proganda

--------------------

Offlineboosthappyvw
Stranger
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: Banez]
    #6011811 - 08/30/06 01:41 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

i'm sitting here right now eating a poppyseed bagel and they had to grow them didn't they. its not the farms because they are easy to moniter its every hippie with a "hemp" plant in their yard that will cause the problems.

OfflineMustNotBe
HPPDer
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: downlowfunk]
    #6012267 - 08/30/06 04:33 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

downlowfunk said:
What is sad are the millions of americans that don't know what hemp is or associate Hemp and Marijuana as the same.

I am one of those people, can you elaborate?

--------------------
Junkies United we stand , Devided we're sick as fuck.
-                  -                -
"Hallucinations are something heroin users are not at all accustomed to," said Const. Conor King, Victoria police drug expert. "They react like you or I would react if we took Aspirin and all of a sudden the TV got up and started walking across the room."
-                  -                -
Make drugs legal, or alcohol and tobacco illegal. Either way it's more fair.

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: boosthappyvw]
    #6012475 - 08/30/06 05:15 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

boosthappyvw said:
i'm sitting here right now eating a poppyseed bagel and they had to grow them didn't they. its not the farms because they are easy to moniter its every hippie with a "hemp" plant in their yard that will cause the problems.

whats the problem with that.. hemp and marijuana plans look completely different.. and ud be a complete ass to try to smoke from a hemp plant

--------------------

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: MustNotBe]
    #6012714 - 08/30/06 06:11 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MustNotBe said:
Quote:

downlowfunk said:
What is sad are the millions of americans that don't know what hemp is or associate Hemp and Marijuana as the same.

information is conflicting. ive heard cannabis sativa to be called hemp, and indica to be "indian hemp" and that hemp is inactive, while ive also heard that indica and sativa were the marijuana strains while ruderalis was the hemp. to tell you the truth im not sure which to believe i just know hemp and i know marijuana and i know eating my bracelets swabbed in butter aint gonne get me high.

if someone wants to provide some information on this with links to back their claims ide be interested in knowing the real deal between the two myself.

OfflineBobDole
Stranger
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6013578 - 08/30/06 09:24 PM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Doesn't hemp pollinate marijuana. This could be shitty news for outdoor growers

Offlinedownlowfunk
Retired Festival Veteran
Male

Loc: Physical Realm
Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: MustNotBe]
    #6014873 - 08/31/06 09:15 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

MustNotBe said:
Quote:

downlowfunk said:

well I guess I'm not using english properly.  Marijuana is the Female sex of the Cannabis Plant.  Hemp is the Male sex of the Cannabis plant.  So I guess when we say man we are referring to Man and Woman Human Species, just like saying hemp is refering to male and female cannabis plant.   

The differences between the two are...    Marijuana contains active amounts of THC, and Hemp doesnt.  Hemp grows considerbly taller and is used for its long fibers.

I guess in my 2 minutes of research just now people are saying that this male/female cannabis idea is a myth.  So I guess I should retract my whole first post.    Science continues to disprove everything that science once proved how are we to know if anything is????

Ok here we go Robert Anton Wilson saves the day.    Maybe Hemp is the Male sex of the Cannabis plant and Maybe Marijuana is the Female sex of the Cannabis plant.  Maybe Hemp contains traces of THC, and maybe Marijuana contains active amounts of THC.   

It is often said that  in his journals George washington makes specific notes regarding the seperation of the male and female cannabis plants.  Theres only a few explanations for this and one of them is  :gethigh:

Edited by downlowfunk (08/31/06 09:22 AM)

OfflineMicrocosmatrix
Spiral staircasetechnician
Male

Loc: Ythan's house
    #6015094 - 08/31/06 11:03 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Marijuana is the Female sex of the Cannabis Plant. Hemp is the Male sex of the Cannabis plant.

Incorrect. Hemp is a different species entirely, but the same genus (Cannabis).

--------------------
:orly:

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6015096 - 08/31/06 11:04 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i dont think the male/ female thing is true... i think they are actually separate plants like.. two different strains almost... but then again im not positive either

--------------------

InvisibleBanez
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Californians to defy US hemp ban on 'environment friendly' cash crop [Re: Microcosmatrix]
    #6015098 - 08/31/06 11:05 AM (17 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Microcosmatrix said:
Quote:

Marijuana is the Female sex of the Cannabis Plant. Hemp is the Male sex of the Cannabis plant.

Incorrect. Hemp is a different species entirely, but the same genus (Cannabis).

ok yeah.. thats what i thought.. thanks micro

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds