Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleDa_Vine
eat me
Male

Loc: jamaica mon
Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Monic
    #6000015 - 08/26/06 11:21 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

It's official. Local initiatives that would make adult marijuana infractions the lowest law enforcement priority will be on the November ballot in three California cities -- Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and Santa Monica -- and the college town of Missoula, Montana. Missoula County officials certified that effort Thursday, and certifications of the California local elections came in over the summer.

In Missoula, Citizens for Responsible Crime Policy used a grant from the Marijuana Policy Project to collect more than 20,000 signatures in three months, far more than are needed to make the ballot. Organizers there hope to build on the statewide medical marijuana victory in 2004.

In California, organizers in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, and Santa Monica also succeeded in gathering sufficient signatures to make the ballot. The three California local initiatives contain almost identical language and describe themselves similarly. As the Santa Monica web site notes, the initiative "makes marijuana offenses, where cannabis is intended for adult personal use, the lowest police priority" and "it frees up police resources to focus on violent and serious crime, instead of arresting and jailing nonviolent cannabis users."

The Santa Cruz initiative goes one step further by establishing an official city position in favor of marijuana legalization. "Voters in Santa Cruz are tired of the failed and immoral federal war on drugs," said Andrea Tischler, chair of Santa Cruz Citizens for Sensible Marijuana Policy. "Let's move to a more reasonable marijuana policy, and make sure that our police and courts are not wasting their time and resources arresting and prosecuting nonviolent marijuana offenders. By passing this initiative, Santa Cruz can be a beacon of light showing the way to a more sensible policy that is compatible with the values of the majority of citizens."

Lowest priority initiatives have already passed in Seattle and Oakland, which was the model and inspiration for this year's local California initiatives, as well as a handful of college towns around the country.

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle/450/lowest_priority_marijuana_initiatives

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesurf rat
pass the dutchie

Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Monic [Re: Da_Vine]
    #6000084 - 08/26/06 11:43 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

GO VOTE PEOPLE

--------------------
Draft beer, not people.:faded:

OfflinePhishe
Lysergic Bliss
Male User Gallery

Loc: Planet Earth
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa Monic [Re: surf rat]
    #6000232 - 08/27/06 12:28 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Wow i hope this goes over well!

Please vote!

OfflineCptnGarden
fuck this site
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: Phishe]
    #6000401 - 08/27/06 01:25 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

MY HOMETOWN PEEPS!!!

I've been in so many WAMM protests there!

Quote:

Santa Cruz can be a beacon of light showing the way to a more sensible policy that is compatible with the values of the majority of citizens.

fuck yeah it can!

GO WAMM!

each one of those fliers being held up are faces of medical users who died. cops showed up a few times, got off their motorcycles or out of their cars, and picked up signs! some of them were quite cool with it.

if marijuanas ever gonna be a fight for legalization, i think oakland and santa cruz would be two of the major cities running the fight.

Offlinerawtoxic
Stranger
Loc: smokey mountains
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: CptnGarden]
    #6000838 - 08/27/06 08:05 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

This is really great, more and more citizens are stepping up. Even my friends mom who is VERY CONSERVATIVE supports things like this. In our state marijuana usage by adults is around 8% on a used in the last month status (source: http://www.oas.samhsa.gov/2k5/subStateMJ/subStateMJ.htm).

I think since it's decriminalized in Colorado, police naturally don't enforce it as harshly because the maximum ticket is $100 and they can only detain you while writing the ticket and you will never be taken to jail so they probably don't get so much kudos for arresting stupid pot heads that don't even bother to hide there drugs since laws are so lack.

I recently recieved 3 tickets in CO Poss. MJ, poss MJ para., and open alcohol container. Sentence: $52 on my mastercard. 20 minutes on the side of the road with barney, and out a half gram of nug and a nice one hitter and half a cold budweiser. Keep in mind I was not intoxicated - simply enjoying a cold one on the way to smoke a bowl with my girlfriend. Oh yeah and officer dumb fuck didn't find the quarter ounce in my toolbox and we still got high. If that happened in a handful of other states I would be out 4 digits cash and see a concrete box for a week or so.

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: rawtoxic]
    #6002655 - 08/27/06 09:18 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Is there going to be a weight limit of marijuana a citizen can possess without being arrested? Does this ordinance spell it out or is it each policeman's discretionary call as to what amount of marijuana is deemed "personal use"?

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

Invisiblekake
The answer to1984 is 1776.
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The 66th harmonic
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: TODAY]
    #6005420 - 08/28/06 07:06 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Sad that I still can't find weed out here.

--------------------
The answer to 1984 is 1776.

OfflineBobDole
Stranger
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: kake]
    #6006621 - 08/29/06 12:17 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

if you cant find weed anywhere your looking in all the wrong places kake

Offlinesaffr0n
Stranger
Male
Re: Marijuana: "Lowest Priority" Local Initiatives Make Ballot in Santa Barbara, Santa Cruz, Santa M [Re: BobDole]
    #6009098 - 08/29/06 07:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

We have that in Seattle (like the artical says) I think you still would get hit for possesion but the cops are pretty laid back. At hempfest it was obvious who was smoking but the cops were looking for real crimes!
It would be nice if there was a state wide vote for a similiar bill, I know hempfesters had a lot to do with seattle starting the lowest priority initiative and that they are always working to change the laws. Maybe state will be next?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service