Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisibleblubbering_idiot
Stranger
some nasty stuff is crawling on my cakes
    #599736 - 04/05/02 02:36 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

This is my first attempt at growing, and so far everything has gone pretty well (i.e. no contamination in the jars, shrooms pinning nicely, some largish growth, ect). But I have had these in this turarium for about 5 weeks now, and we have some funky looking greenish type stuff on one of them, and brown streaks on a couple of the others. I read somewhere that the humidity can create brown streaks, and I did let this sit for about a week with out opening it when I went on vacation. If anybody has a good idea as to what it is we have in these pictures, and what we can do about it let us know. Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
Re: some nasty stuff is crawling on my cakes [Re: blubbering_idiot]
    #601895 - 04/08/02 03:13 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

First of all, isolate good cakes from contaminated ones.
Two questions though,
What's bellow the wire net ?
What liquid are you using inside the glass ?

Peace,
MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

Offlinerb2002
Enokotekkamaki!
    #602400 - 04/08/02 04:50 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

Dude, I've encountered the same green stuff (look at my post - it's turning green now). So I take it that it is contamination... $#%#! The mushrooms are growing so big though!!!!

Peace

OfflineMilhouseT1
somewhatexperienced
Loc: Philly, PA
Re: some nasty stuff is crawling on my cakes [Re: rb2002]
    #603816 - 04/09/02 11:09 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

I've got those same blackish stripe things growin on some of my cakes and on perlite. It looks like blotches of soot or something. It also sometimes appears on some areas of the mushroom fruitbodies. What the hell is this? I looked in the Mushroom Cultivator and the closest thing I could compare it to, is a contam named Torula or the black yeast mold. Apparently, it is dark brown or jet black with spore production. As Torula matures, the mycelium becomes covered with a omass of spores that gives it a soot like appearence. Then the book says that Torula is actually good for the mushroom and is not harmful in humans. The soot like mold helps the mushroom create protein and is a food source for the mushroom at room temperature. Is this what is growing on the 2 bottom right cakes in the picture above? I could be totally wrong here. Can anyone help?

Invisibleblubbering_idiot
Stranger
    #605462 - 04/11/02 02:05 PM (21 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for the replies. to answer your questions in the order they were asked:

we have paper towels under the mesh, I know its ghetto, but at the time we didn't know any better. as for the liquid in the glass, its just plain water with a fishtank bubbler in it.

we think the brown streaks on the bottom two cakes are due to excess carbon dioxide. the cakes were unattended for a week, and they showed up during this time.

any other questions, feel free to ask.

Invisibletriptor

Loc: Confussion
    #607901 - 04/14/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 11 months ago)

LOL those brown streaks are spores guys. You have some shroomies with open caps that are releasing spores. They are very small and float all over your chamber. The green however is bad.

--------------------
Zippity freakin doo dah

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags