Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
Is it time to start worrying???
    #5985970 - 08/22/06 06:23 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I recently got two jars to colonize and have been very excited ever since. This is my first grow and only 2 outta 12 made it. Anyway one was quicker than the other so I waited 5 days after the whole jar was white then I dunked it over night. The next day I rolled it in verm and put it in my fruiting chamber(plastic tub with mosit perlite). Well it has been five days and I am yet to see a pin and I am getting very worried. I fan it twice a day and mist the fruiting chamber with natural spring water. It is time to be worried or is my patience just not that great?????? Any ideas would be welcomed

Thanks for the wonderful site and hobby.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlueChimera
regnartS
Loc: Milkyway Galaxy
Re: Is it time to start worrying??? [Re: NewFungiGrower]
    #5985975 - 08/22/06 06:31 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Be more patient...cakes tend to take their time. The mycelium is probably still working on colonizing/connecting on the inside of the cake.
My casings sometimes took a week, but once they get going, watch out!LOL  :grin: :eek:
And the casings usually don't take as long as the cakes to start showing.

I'm curious though, if you don't mind me asking. What exactly caused you to only have 2 out of a dozen jars? Contam problems I presume?

OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
    #5985977 - 08/22/06 06:37 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Yea contams were an issue, since it was my first time I guess thats fairly common place. I have built me a nice glove box so maybe that will help with next batch. Do I need to spray the cake rolled in verm twice a day??? The rh and temp are fine seems like i read if u dunk and roll get the outside verm wet??? It looks fairly dry not sure if thats normal. Its also a pint jar and not a half pint that maybe why it is taking longer to fruit????

OfflineNewFungiGrower
Stranger
    #5986503 - 08/22/06 11:48 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

I posted a pic of my first cake, if u look close i circled the white bumps at the bottom in black. I think it may be myc knots but i am not sure. Please tell me if everything is ok and if i should do something. Hopefully pins SOON.

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

#5986509 - 08/22/06 11:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

yea cant really tell without a really high quality pic but yea cakes take there time to fruit

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Offlinekando420
Stranger
Female

Re: Is it time to start worrying??? [Re: xaxphaanes]
    #5987591 - 08/22/06 07:20 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

my first harvest took 8 days to even see any pinning so ur almost there! COngrats

--------------------
I fully believe in upholding the laws of the United States, thats why I do not grow mushrooms I am just fascinated with them. :wink:

OfflineJonnyDeformed

Male User Gallery

Loc: Directlyundertheearthssun...
Re: Is it time to start worrying??? [Re: kando420]
    #5987655 - 08/22/06 07:41 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

8 - 12 days is normal for the Australian strains i have.. I hate waiting for pinage, it makes a week last forever.

--------------------

dubiousness
Dubious compound

it is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong.
A penalty for possession of a drug/plant should not be more damaging than the drug/plant itself.

OfflineBlueChimera
regnartS
Loc: Milkyway Galaxy
Re: Is it time to start worrying??? [Re: JonnyDeformed]
    #5989103 - 08/23/06 10:18 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to tell from that pic but that looks about right, NewFungiGrower.

Can I suggest investing in pressure cooker.
I never get contams since I have purchased one. Nothing fancy, just an el cheapo from wallyworld. My problem was wetspot(sour smell, mush)in my whole brown rice jars. BRF was fine, but when I switched to whole rice I could NOT get rid of the wetspot just by steaming.
Also in my honest opinion gloveboxes are overrated. I never use one, too much hassle. I don't even use a vermiculite top layer in my jars of WBR. Surprisingly I never have any contams.
I think if you PC your substrate well, throughly clean your hands with rubbing alc, and BE QUICK while inoculating, you should have 0 contam problems. I also like to LIBERALLY spray my incubation box with disinfectant spray after each time of handling the jars.
Hope this helps. And congrats on your newfound hobby. I think you're well on your way to enjoying the 'fruits' of your labor.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix