Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Loc: Funkytown
Nighted's Gro-Brick Sub. Experiment: Minor Update
    #569541 - 03/04/02 11:18 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Well boys and girls, the original reason for doing this was to play around
with a substrate for n00b's that were having a hard time finding vermiculite.
Well, because of my laziness at the time, there is a tiny bit of vermiculite
in this mix, you'll know why in a minute. Since I'm having such good results
so far I thought I might as well post my procedure for anyone else out there
who may want to continue without the addition of the vermiculite, which I myself
will be doing very soon.

At the time I didn't want to break a sweat busting a chunk of gro-brick off
just for this little test. So what I did was to use some left over casing that
I had stored in the 'fridge. Yes, I sterilize my casing soil and store it in
the 'fridge for patching casings later on.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I used 2 250ml wide-mouth canning jars with the following ingredients per jar:

1/2 cup casing soil*
1/8 cup ground bird seed/long grain brown rice
30ml water (cc's or grams will work too)
Note: If you do the math, the vermiculite in this substrate is about a quarter
the amount used in a standard PF mix.

I mixed the ingredients up, filled the jars and topped them off with
vermiculite (remember I didn't want to break off more gro-brick...next time
I'll try using dry gro-brick instead).

I then put them in the pressure cooker and sterilized for 20 minutes @15psi.
When cooled they were inoculated with some Matias Romero spores from syringes that
I'd prepared a couple months ago. This was on Feb. 27th. Today, March 4, there is v
ery strong mycelial growth and both jars are at least 50% colonized with the bottom
of one jar completely covered. These, of course, were incubated at a consistent 29?C
in my custom designed incubator (which I will likely take the design of to my grave).

Well that's it for now. These should fruit within the next 2-3 weeks. I'll update then.

*My casing formula:

Gro-Brick (saturated to maximum capacity): 1 cup
Vermiculite: 1/2 cup
Lime: 50 ml
1 part water to 5 parts dry (yes, dry includes the now moistened gro-brick)
This casing is put into recycled miracle whip jars (great wide mouth and nice screw on lids)
and sterilized for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker @15psi. Sometimes I sterlize it for an hour
when sterilizing at the same time as rye grain.
No difference either way...it just won't contaminate!

March 21: Invitro pinning is now evident inside these PF style jars.

--------------------

Freedom defined is freedom denied.

Nighted is better than Google. Please take time to rate 5/5. Thanks!

Edited by Nighted (03/21/02 09:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: Nighted]
    #572220 - 03/07/02 02:48 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

>....in my custom designed incubator (which I will likely take the design of to my grave).

Why this??

Anonymous

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment *DELETED* [Re: Nighted]
    #572238 - 03/07/02 03:48 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by boxtop703

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: Anno]
    #572240 - 03/07/02 03:54 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Anno, when I get a digi-cam I'll send you some pics. Then you can see how to build one yourself. The system I designed is totally modular and can be easily expanded. It requires no maintenance other than a once a year servicing and can be made from readily available and affordable materials.

After thinking about a certain individual's conduct, I've thought it over. I'd rather show everyone here how to make their own than let someone else think of it and charge people a ridiculous price for it and threaten litigation to anyone daring to reveal it's working design. Still, I'm unsure how I wish to proceed. I personally haven't seen anyone with anything even close. I know for a fact that "you know who" wont think of it because this is something that is actually USEFUL and designed to simplify the process of incubation, not complicate it! If you want to know more now, PM me and I'll tell you how to connect to my private irc server.

--------------------

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment *DELETED* [Re: ]
    #572244 - 03/07/02 03:58 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Nighted

--------------------

Edited by Nighted (03/07/02 04:10 AM)

InvisibleAssHumper10K
enthusiast
Loc: Up, Your, Ass
    #572315 - 03/07/02 08:02 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

So far you are the only one looking like a little bitch.
If you understood respect you wouldnt call someone names for disagreeing with you. I gave more than you. My incubator is too good to post. Get over your fucking self. Anno does more in a week than you have done in 4 months here. He shares his designs and ideas without precipitating bullshit over the community.
I am glad you learned it all in the 4 months you have been here. Good show. For someone that has only been here that long you sure do hate newbies. Yes it is spelled newbie for folks that have been on the net longer than a year.
Advanced cakes? Give us all a break. Secret incubator? There is much information shared readily by members but you still insist on making yours private.
I love the way you always post in advanced even though half the time you are wrong.

Oh yeah, thats a nice tight ass Nighted. Lets get it all sloppy my bitch. Pathetic loser of a little bitch that is.

Get over yourself and dont flame those with different opinions and you might not have to give out prints for folks to like you.

Laterz, Ass

--------------------
Asses Humped for a reasonable price. Ask about our financing program!
Free ass juicings with every fart suck!
See the amazing pencil farm!

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: AssHumper10K]
    #572324 - 03/07/02 08:25 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

If I wanted any lip from you, I'd rattle my zipper.

I like how you can judge a person based on the amount of time they've been a member of a forum. I've avoided these forums for years because of insecure people such as yourself. Fortunately I no longer care about your kind and will continue to help those as I see fit.

What do you do? You go around spewing derogatory statements and showing your true mentality, which isn't much more than a 12 year old I'm afraid. Also, if you could actually comprehend more than half of what you can read, you'd see that the advanced forum is exactly for this type of discussion. "For experienced mycologists, this forum is dedicated to the discussion of EXPERIMENTAL PROCEDURES and advanced cultivation techniques."

If you don't like me that's fine with me. Obviously if you did I'd have to check myself. Now when your down humping ass, go suck a dick.

--------------------

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #572352 - 03/07/02 09:30 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

This shit is stupid. Everybody stop calling names. Remember that this is a cultivation forum, not some place to bitch and whine back and forth.

Just keep us updated on the advanced cakes, and post the incubator info. There is no need for special handling, secrets etc. Just write it up, and update with pix once you get a digi cam. Simple.

If you are above the bullshit, then don't spew it. People always say that they are above the pettiness, then resort to pettiness. You want to convince me you're above it, then just cease with anything except cultivation info. Even if you feel you are defending yourself. If you really don't care, then don't respond.

Let's talk cultivation. Post the incubator.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleAssHumper10K
enthusiast
Loc: Up, Your, Ass
    #572355 - 03/07/02 09:31 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

No dick sucky, but I will give you a reach around when Im all up in that.

Nothing experimental about coir in cakes. Been done a year ago. In fact, McNarc is doing it now. Nothing groundbreaking about cakes. So once again I ask you to get over yourself.

The reason you got your ass humped is because you attacked someone for disagreeing with you.

nOOb ROFLMFAO

Laterz, Ass

PS Please keep answering questions you know nothing about. The dudes at the frat cant stop laughing at you.

--------------------
Asses Humped for a reasonable price. Ask about our financing program!
Free ass juicings with every fart suck!
See the amazing pencil farm!

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: AssHumper10K]
    #572410 - 03/07/02 10:52 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: Anonymous]
    #572426 - 03/07/02 11:17 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

first off; i have no disrespect for ANYONES attempts at cultivation; be it an automated setup or new substrate ideas.
yes coir does dry out fast and although i have never tried any of this i can see why it would lose a great deal of moisture before 1st flush; without a (semi)automated watering system.
nighted the best idea i can come up with is to use the inner reservoir tek; although it may be difficult to poke a straw thru a cake of this consistency; but if you can get it securely 1/2" to 1" into the cake id be willing to bet it would hydrate at least as fast as teh coir can evaporate; pluys youd have gravity on your side rather than the cake sucking it up sitting on the geo-lite.
im finding this thread very interesting; along with the recent hydroponic mushroom thread. i was thinkng of something like this down the road when i get the space/experience of a coco coir 'flatcake' possibly 2 or 3 inches thick where the bottom 1/4" or so is submirsed in a running water supply which is fortified with nutrients. this true 'grow brick' will be suspended by foam floatation devices so that as water level may change; only teh desired amount will be submirsed. if i can find a way to circulate and filter the water i think i may be able to avoid mycellium colonizing the water into a large honeywater vat and keep the coir hydrated and nutritious. of course i am far from even attempting this but almomst undoubtedly i will attemt this; as it seems a feasable way to theoretically get infinate flushes with little maintinence other than adding nutrients to optimal proportions.
mind wandering...
possibly make the water overly fortified past optimum capacity so the coir will have a better chance to absorb and harder for myc to thrive in the bare water solution?
well whatever comes; keep up the great ideas EVERYONE and please; keep these threads positive and informative. this is the advanced forum and i (we) come here to read relevant information. if we all wanted flame wars maybe mods can open a special flamers board but until then; try to contain yourself.
peace

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: BeppoMarx]
    #572434 - 03/07/02 11:28 AM (22 years, 1 month ago)

OfflineBeppoMarx
old hand
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: Anonymous]
    #572484 - 03/07/02 12:48 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

>>>The nutirients need to be stable if mixed with water and this is a quality that organic nutrients have not.
what do you mean by this; that a suitable ratio of nutrients cannot be maintained in a system thats constantly depleting them or the organic nutrients lack a certain property to be deemed 'stable'?
>>>What happens is the geo-lite colonizes all the way down to the water level and then basically lies dormant.
and so youre also saying that colonization of the nutritious water itself has not been a problem for you? with that in mind i may not need the filtration system at all.

--------------------
Holy shit people; COMMON SENSE! we were all born with it where did it go?
maybe theres a tek out there to explain how to use it!
BUCKETS BRIGADE left hand man!!!

InvisibleNighted
Ghost

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: mycofile]
    #572504 - 03/07/02 01:13 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Yes, you are correct Mycofile...I couldn't agree with you more. I will not tolerate personal attacks however. Boxtop, you've taken your jabs before elsewhere and I've ignored them but today you decide to go full contact. I find it funny that this topic didn't even receive one reply until Anno chimed in. Is someone trying to impress or kiss some ass?

As for wether this works or not isn't the point. I want to see more myself using MY experience to see what I can do with it. So it hasn't worked for some of you...Oh well. I will learn more from any success or failure on my behalf than from your advice anyday and be the better man for it.

Some of you really seem to be missing the point of this entire post. It's to see if someone in a tight situation can grow some mushrooms. So what if they can only achieve one flush? Knowing that one can succeed is the first step to building confidence and confidence is the key factor to future success. I'm taking my time and my effort to do something for this community and the beginners that are coming into it full of questions and frustrations. If you can't understand that, too bad, take your opinions and back off.

--------------------

OfflineKindnug
Male
Loc: Midwest, Go Bears
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment *DELETED* [Re: Nighted]
    #572639 - 03/07/02 03:58 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

Post deleted by Kindnug

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: Kindnug]
    #572954 - 03/07/02 09:25 PM (22 years, 1 month ago)

In reply to:

When you hear someone as experienced as MycoService say that you shouldn't waste your time, I would listen.

Whatever. I won't even mention the fact that nighted has already said that failure in this would mean more to him than taking someones word for it. What does it matter to you if he wastes his time according to Mcman?

Not to mention that Mcmans supposed problem of maintaining moisture without buying one of his machines is lame. A cheap and simple layer of moist perlite under such a cake could keep it plenty moist enough. Certainly as moist as the much more expensive, troublesome and complicate pod. I'm not bashing the pod, but people need to do their own experiments, because they will think outside of other people's boxes. Mcman is stuck on the geolite, circulating water deal. Fine, he seems to be doing well with it. But nighted doesn't have that box restraining him, and can very easily overcome mcman's limitations with a bux worth of perlite and some free water.

And some people can't find vermiculite. In fact, most people became aware of coir because a grower down in south or central america couldn't find vermiculite, but had access to literally tons of coco husks. Even domestically, it can be rather difficult to find verm in some areas. Bed-a-beast works identically to gro-brick, and can be found in many pet stores. It's also cheaper and easier to mail order.

I can understand people getting their panties in knot cuz somebody isn't very polite. But to try and bash somebody for experimenting, for how they experiment, and why the experiment is just lame.

Now, what about the damn incubator? PM me...

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisible40oz
 User Gallery

Loc: Sandy Eggo. Ca.
Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Substrate Experiment [Re: mycofile]
    #598288 - 04/04/02 04:22 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

...i like the way you think, mycophile....

--------------------
:pacman: - - - -  :pill: :mushroom2: :pill2: :mushroom2: :regularshroom: :mushroomgrow: :pill: :pill2: :mushroom2: :poison:

:sun::heart::sun:

tiny_rabid_birds said:
"your avatar is dirty."

Anonymous

Post deleted by Anno [Re: mycofile]
    #598497 - 04/04/02 10:19 AM (22 years, 18 days ago)

InvisibleBillyGrass

Re: Nighted's Gro-Brick Sub. Experiment: Minor Upd [Re: Nighted]
    #599157 - 04/04/02 11:33 PM (22 years, 17 days ago)

Hah hah! Anno!

"Why this??", he says. Haha!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco All-in-One Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures