Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblekoraks
Pretty pictures (added pics 08-18)
    #5972171 - 08/17/06 06:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Hi all!

Went for a stroll with my gf in the woods not far from where I live. As an enthusiastic amateur photographer, of course I didn't leave my camera and flash units home. We found some interesting species and a few made for a couple of pretty pictures. Here they are, enjoy:

1. Amanita rubescens

2. Calocera viscosa

3. Marasmius? Omphalina?

4. Fistulina hepatica

5. Unknown species in a field of moss...

6. Shelf fungus

7. I think these are deadly galerinas, but I'm not entirely sure. They're not ps. cyanescens, in any case :wink:

8. Unknown species

9. Mycena?

10. Calocera viscosa (revisited)

11. Unknown species

12. Hygrocybe?

IF you have any idea as to IDs of the above pics, please post here. I'm more of a photographer than a mycologist :wink:

Btw, I didn't collect any specimens, even though we found some nice edibles (fistulina, sulphur shelves) so additional info on un-IDed species will be hard to come by, sorry...

Edited by koraks (08/18/06 03:13 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFilosopherStoner
Stranger

Loc: Brandon, FL
Re: Pretty pictures [Re: koraks]
    #5972179 - 08/17/06 06:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Wow man, those are amazing pictures. I have no clue about any of the species, but your photography skills are awesome. What kind of camera do you have? Keep up the awesome work man.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
Re: Pretty pictures [Re: FilosopherStoner]
    #5972187 - 08/17/06 06:53 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Wow those are awesome!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I've nominated that amanita pic.
So can you post some details on your picture taking? This is something I am very keen on getting into, IMO photo taking goes hand in hand with mushroom hunting.
Stunning stuff!!! 5 shrooms and a 1 nom for you! :grin:

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #5972196 - 08/17/06 07:05 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

These are possibly the best mushroom photos I've ever seen. Great work and thanks!! I back up what Feelers said, maybe you should add something to the photo faq or wiki telling us the secrets of your techniques.

As for IDs, I'm not sure that those wavy ones were galerinas because of the gill color.

Offlineladle3000
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#5972296 - 08/17/06 08:32 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Nice pictures, nice camera, nice mushrooms. :thumbup:

--------------------
--Ladle--

Invisiblesrgtm1a
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #5972352 - 08/17/06 09:22 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Gorgeous pictures koraks! Some of the best wild shots I've seen in a loooong time!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #5972405 - 08/17/06 10:11 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Great photos. Keep it up!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Pretty pictures [Re: ToxicMan]
    #5973063 - 08/17/06 02:19 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Righty, thanks for the comments!

@xmush: the galerina-'id' was no more than a wild guess, so you're probably right! Any attempts at ids are welcome!

As to the photography thing, the most important thing to keep in mind is that I've been an avid photographer for a bit more than two years now. This seems a relatively short period, but I must add that during these two years, not a single day has passed that I didn't have photography on my mind and during those years, I shot between 20,000 and 30,000 frames. You could say that my learning period (which hopefully will never end) has been quite intensive...

Some people ask what camera I use. The important thing to remember is that your skills and creativity are infinitely more important than the hardware you use. However, you could say that in this case, I was hardly limited by the hardware, as I used a Canon EOS20d body with a Canon 24-70 f/2.8 zoomlens and a set of extension tubes (needed to be able to focus at close distances with the 24-70.) More importantly, I used two Canon Speedlite flash units, a 580EX (serving as master) and a 420EX. This may sound like a hell of a camera kit to some people and many will think that this kind of equipment is beyond most amateur photographers, but fact of the matter is that this is the kind of stuff you pile up (given a reasonable amount of hard cash...) during two years of finding your way around serious photography.

People are sometimes tempted to say that making great photographs must be really easy with $3,000 of equipment in your hands. Be my guest and try it. Without some basic knowledge of photography, it's much easier to get decent results with a $300 compact camera. Skill is everything, equipment is no more than a tool and  "a fool with a tool is still a fool". The photographs in this topic were made using a prosumer level dSLR, but equal results can be created with a $300 digital compact camera or $150 of 20-year old manual focus film SLR equipment (that's actually what I used 2 years ago!)

Once having acquired the basic properties of photography, the actual taking of these images was pretty straightforward: find a nice looking mushroom, figure out what magnification to use (what extension tubes; depending on the size of the mushroom), position the 420 flash unit (the 580 is always mounted on top of the camera), set an appropriate aperture (typically between f/8 and f/22) and fire away...Canon's E-TTL automatic flash exposure does the rest!
Btw, my girlfriend came in really handy as a makeshift 'tripod' for the auxilary 420 flash unit :wink:

If you're really into photographing mushrooms, then it's a good idea to read some of the excellent articles on the topic you can find on the net. For example, photo.net has a pretty decent article on macro photography. Please note: that article assumes you have an understanding of the basics of photography. If you're not comfortable with terms like 'ISO', 'aperture', 'focal length' and 'shutter speed', this article might be a good starting point. Pay special attention to the chapter on exposure.

Some final notes: if you want to make pictures like those posted above yourself, there's only one way to get there: start making photographs. The joy of digital photography today is that it is well within reach of nearly every citizen of a civilized country and moreover, once you've acquired the equipment, it costs literally nothing to shoot a photograph. When I used to shoot only film, I spent some $250 per month just on film and development! Shooting digital steepened my learning curve enormously. So shoot as much as you can, try different angles and zoom settings on your camera and always evaluate the results. If an image turns out bad, ask yourself what went wrong and what you can do next time to make it work. There are thousands of people on the net willing to help you out with that, so you even don't have to study in complete solitude. And remember: blaming your equipment is a sure-fire way to bring a halt to your own learning. 99,9% of the bad images you see (and make) went wrong due to photographer error (yes, this goes for all photographers, even professionals).

In the meanwhile, I shot some more frames today, I'm first going to light this joint here and then I'll download the images to my pc and upload them. I'll try to post them in an hour or so.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #5973076 - 08/17/06 02:25 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the big write up -I'm finally gonna get a camera so I'm definately gonna read those articles. :laugh:

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#5973174 - 08/17/06 02:56 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the tips. I've had good results using the macro function on my little Canon S50 digital and messing with the flash brightness, white balance and aperture settings, but you've shown us how to really take the next step. Seems like an external lighting source is key. Also, my "tripod" is typically me lying on my elbows and knees (guess that's a quadropod) and holding my breath to keep things steady. I think I'll invest in a tripod pretty soon.

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Pretty pictures [Re: xmush]
    #5975113 - 08/18/06 02:51 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

xmush said:
Seems like an external lighting source is key.

It sure is. On-camera flash comes in handy if there's no available light and there's no other way to shed some more light on your subject. But if you're serious about macro-photography, you'll need an external flash unit. You can do it the way I do with one or more reporter-type flashes or you can spend big $$$ on a fancy macro ring-light flash.

Quote:

Also, my "tripod" is typically me lying on my elbows and knees (guess that's a quadropod) and holding my breath to keep things steady.  I think I'll invest in a tripod pretty soon.

To be honest, I never use a tripod for macro photography. The use of flash eliminates motion blur anyway and with the incredibly shallow depth of field, it's hellishly difficult to get proper focus using a tripod. The quadropod-hold-your-breath-thing works a treat for me :wink:

Ok, I promised to put some more pics on last night, but somehow, I never didn't manage :wink: Anyway, a new dawn has broken (for quite a while, actually), so here ya go!

13. Bolete

14. Dunno

15. Marasmius

16. I keep finding Amanita rubescens, some more nice specimens:

17. More boletes

18. I have no clue what this is, any ideas? The guide I use doesn't list anything similar.

19. Galerina?

20. Russula, probably russula amoenolens

21. Tubifera ferruginosa

22. Trametes, possibly t. versicolor

Well, that's it for now, I'll try to find some time to go out in the following days.

Oh, and did I mention my interest in photography was initially inspired by mushrooms? Well, now you know.

Edited by koraks (08/18/06 02:55 AM)

OfflineMeat_hod
sick shit
Male

#5975809 - 08/18/06 12:48 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Your lighting skillz are wicked.

p.s. Get a nikon you canonsteez. :wink:

--------------------

Offlineeris
underground
Male User Gallery

Loc: North East, USA
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pretty pictures (added pics 08-18) [Re: koraks]
    #5976256 - 08/18/06 03:50 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Very awesome photos koraks, amazing. Great finds and excellent pics. I will be nominating some of them for picture of the month when I get the time.

May I ask what state or part of the world you are in?

--------------------
Immortal / Temporarily Retired
The OG Thread Killer
My mushroom hunting gallery

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Re: Pretty pictures (added pics 08-18) [Re: koraks]
    #5976331 - 08/18/06 04:13 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for more great pics and good photo advice. Those boletes look like the tasty kind, did you pick them? Also number 14 looks like a Cantharellus and may be edible too. I don't think that 19 is a galerina.

Keep your pics coming.

OfflineDr_Mcgillicuddy
Stranger

#5977150 - 08/18/06 09:52 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Shit it looks like he actually spent time looking for good angles and all that, like actually paying attention to the surroundings of the the mushrooms and taking the best shots possible ! awsome pictures they put me in another world !

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: Pretty pictures *DELETED* [Re: koraks]
    #5977329 - 08/18/06 10:39 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by coon

Reason for deletion: m

Invisiblekoraks
Re: Pretty pictures [Re: coon]
    #5977766 - 08/19/06 02:07 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the replies!

@Meat_hod: I just happened to invest in a Canon system, suppose it makes no sense switching at this point :wink: Also, I've worked with the EOS-system since my father bought an EOS back in 1989, so I guess I'm really stuck :wink:

@eris: I live in what the French prime minister once called 'the drug-state', which stands for The Netherlands :smile:

@xmush: galerina was just a wild guess based on general appearance and habitat. I'm open to other ideas. As I wrote in my first post of this topic, my knowledge of photography is more profound than that of mycology at this point...Oh, altough #14 looks a bit like a cantherellus, I'm pretty sure it isn't one. I went for a little stroll again yesterday and found more specimens of this species, perhaps I'll get a pic online later today.

@Dr_Mcgillicuddy: Yep, I do pay some attention to composition and stuff. To begin with, I mostly shoot specimens that look pretty (so no half-rotten and half-eaten mushrooms). Then, a little attention is spent on composition, but usually it doesn't take much of an effort; no use trying to improve something Nature itself made very well indeed :wink:

@coon: thanks for the id, it's nice to be able to put a tag to this fungus!

Offline_OttO_
Over Stimulated
 User Gallery

Loc: Up Over
    #5983068 - 08/21/06 05:43 AM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Very, very cool pics. Love your work!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals